Jamoi's 1st trackday!

General Biker Banter
Jamoi

Jamoi's 1st trackday!

Post by Jamoi »

I survived :thumbup:

Booked up my 1st trackday at Snetterton (1 hr away) in the Novice group obviously.

On Saturday I hurriedly got a new pilot road 4 fitted to replace my knackered pr3 rear, as the weather forecast was "hurricane bertha" 8O So I figured I wouldn't get a chance to try the Supercorsas on my spare wheels.

I couldn't be bothered to swap wheels when I got there, the weather was great but just ran the touring tyres anyway.

The Pr4 scrubbed in nicely & the pr3 front held up well.

I was a little nervous as we were having our 8am briefing, but mainly nervous about the noise test :lol: which I passed with 101db @ 4k rpm and cloth wrapped around the baffles haha.

Quite a few people turned up to spectate, take pics & take the pi55! Inc Magnum & mini-magnum :thumbup:

The bike felt great, no problems, but was a bit frustrating how slow a lot of the other bikes were going round corners & then way quicker down the straights :(

I'd overtake on the outside and pull a couple of bike lengths under braking etc, only to have them pull 30 meters on the straights and then hold me up on the next corner again! :banned:

Nigel, the racer on a Honda bros (with africa twin engine fitted!) told me to go in fast group next time as the corner speeds are higher so no getting held by traffic, I'll see how I feel next time with supercorsas fitted :D

All the groups were fully booked, so no moving about.

Pics:

^lol

Fantastic day, got some track fairings lined up & will be booking many more I'm sure :)
Jamie :wave:
Ckennedy

Re: Jamoi's 1st trackday!

Post by Ckennedy »

Glad to hear you had a good day :thumbup: I still can't wait till I get my first one done. I'll do it at some point :lol:

Some good pics taken there too :thumbup:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

That's better :thumbup: .
I should be booking my first one next week for Mallory in September or sooner if I can .
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Who took the pics?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Great pics Jamie. Got my mouth watering for my day at Oulton tomorrow.

Looks dry did it stay that way all day?

I know what you mean also about the guys on 1000cc blades fast on straight, standstill in corners. Part of the reason I stuck with a 1000cc bike, my bro really struggles on his 636 though.

Only downside to fastgroup though is the frequency of the ambulance, last thing you'll want is someone coming in hot and t boning you.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
dkt1376

Post by dkt1376 »

Looks like you had a great day, :clap: :clap:
a landrover d2 and a ktm, i had to have a honda to restore relability in my life.
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

glad to see another one finding the joys of the track! :thumbup: it becomes very addicting and expensive quite quickly.

i started in C group (novice) and moved through B and now i ride A group. around here they have "qualifying" lap times to ride in each group that way you dont get people riding in A who belong in C. id invest in a set of warmers. it keeps you safe and gives you that much more time in each session with your tires at full temp hence giving you more bang for your buck.

the storm does really well with a few worthy mods (looks that youve got a number of them) and has no problem keeping up in the fast groups. i will say any one on an R1 or equivilant can motor the storm on long straights. but if you late brake, take the outside, and carry more corner speed, while keeping the rpms above 7k and roll on early, its easy to pull away on the next straight. if your tires are a full temp, you can carry way more corner speed, and roll on insanley sooner than your mind tells you it can. plus late turn in itself can litteraly shave seconds off your lap time.

either way, be safe and ride at your own pace. the one thing that feels better than beating that wonker on the gixxer is bringing you and your bike home in one piece.
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yeh Jamoi's is a well sorted VTR. Jamoi you should list your mods in your signature. I'd love to get out on track one day, I couldn't do it on my bike though as it's my only form of transport plus my exhaust would not pass even with baffles. One day I shall buy another Storm. It's a shame we don't have street circuits one could use, well IOM being the exception I suppose. I have a feeling that would suit me more, but who knows..... I've never been out on track!

==============================Enter the Darkside
popkat

Post by popkat »

Looks you had a great time, good pics too :thumbup:
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
adyf

Post by adyf »

Carl there is a street circuit you can go round it's called Oliver's mount scarborough, but obviously it has normal traffic on it ,also it's bloody scary look at it on Google.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Great photos and write up Jamie, I can see you have the bug good and proper now :thumbup:
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

adyf wrote:Carl there is a street circuit you can go round it's called Oliver's mount scarborough, but obviously it has normal traffic on it ,also it's bloody scary look at it on Google.
And the Dalveen pass :D
AMcQ
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

cybercarl wrote:Who took the pics?
They are a mixture of pics from friends & the track photographer, I've got about 90 all in all!
Miztaziggy wrote:Great pics Jamie. Got my mouth watering for my day at Oulton tomorrow.

Looks dry did it stay that way all day?
Only downside to fastgroup though is the frequency of the ambulance, last thing you'll want is someone coming in hot and t boning you.
Good luck for today Ziggy :thumbup: luckily we didn't see rain until our last session :)

There was quite a bad crash in the fast group, involving 3 bikes very similar to Simoncelli's final moments :( but the inters looked pretty scrappy tbh.
Jscobey wrote:glad to see another one finding the joys of the track! :thumbup: it becomes very addicting and expensive quite quickly.
id invest in a set of warmers. it keeps you safe and gives you that much more time in each session with your tires at full temp hence giving you more bang for your buck.
Definitely mate! I could see myself getting into it next year. I agree with the tyre warmers, saves having to ease in on that 1st lap.
cybercarl wrote:Yeh Jamoi's is a well sorted VTR. Jamoi you should list your mods in your signature.
Cheers mate, might be a long signature though :lol: I know what you mean about road racing, although the track was amazing I did miss the bumps, lumps & jumps from road riding.

Cheers fellas, it's nice to share the experience with you all.

Another pic I found which I quite like :D
Jamie :wave:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

cybercarl wrote:Yeh Jamoi's is a well sorted VTR. Jamoi you should list your mods in your signature. I'd love to get out on track one day, I couldn't do it on my bike though as it's my only form of transport plus my exhaust would not pass even with baffles. One day I shall buy another Storm. It's a shame we don't have street circuits one could use, well IOM being the exception I suppose. I have a feeling that would suit me more, but who knows..... I've never been out on track!

You can do taster sessions some evenings at Brands for twenty quid / twenty minutes, which will tell you if you like it or not.
Baffles knock a surprising amount off the level, I lost nearly five dB.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

great photos Jamie, you and the bike look to be flowing round the bends well.

shame about the traffic spoiling the day, but as track days get more popular it has become a real problem just like on the roads. also the fact the testosterone fuelled riding is more of a risk on a track day than it is in a club race is a bit of a worry, as you can live without being taken out by some one else going beyond their ability.

like the fact you are coping the like of Lorenzo and wearing odd gloves :lol:
AMcQ