Mechanic available

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Wicky

Re: Mechanic available

Post by Wicky »

Just make sure the chain has the right amount of links and comes with a rivet link.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I can rivet a chain.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Ges

Post by Ges »

Hi Tony, quick question or two!

1) Changed my rear pads today but could only undo one bolt on the calliper as the other wouldn't budge, but on reading manual it said to just rotate calliper up which I did, should that other bolt undo or should the calliper just slide out if the exhaust was not in the way?

2) Managed to get main retainer spring back in, but a second one popped out and not sure where that should go back, any clues or pictures

Cheers

Ges
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

To answer your first question I believe your referring to the bigger of the two bolts, IIRC14mm with the rubber boot. The thread on this bolt only goes approx 1cm and the the rest of it is a pin that continues through the pads. Once you have undone the threaded part you could use a drift and a hammer from behind to tap the rest through.

And second there should only be one retainer spring. Maybe at some stage someone has put two on by mistake. They may have been stuck together :think: :confused Ooops my mistake :lol: were referring to the rear calliper here aren't we. Yeh there is two springs!! One is the usual retainer spring that sits behind the pads and the other is like a kinda right angled H shape. This sits at the top of the calliper with the right angled bit facing down and towards the rear of the bike. As you swivel the calliper and pads back into place, the top of the pads sits against this spring. Hope that makes sense, I shall try and find a pic later. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Ges

Post by Ges »

Cheers Carl, yep its the right angled one that popped out and not sure how fits back in so any pics would be good...Is there any issues not putting back straight away?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Just been searching through my photobucket account and can't find one. I could have sworn I had some rear calliper pics. Anyway you can see it clearly enough (no 6) in the microfiche in wicky's link. If you leave it out then the pads may rattle around a bit.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Ges

Post by Ges »

Carl, many thanks for your help and prompt response
FYI looks as if ronayers web site address changed to below, as got error on yours

http://www.ronayersmotorcycles.com/fiche_select.asp

Cheers
Ges
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Ges

Post by Ges »

Hi Tony

Had electrical blow out today, Battery went flat yesterday when tried to come home from work, got rescue people out today who managed to jump start bike.

Couple of miles from home instrument panel died a couple of times and then completely when got home after massive back fire. Now instrument panel, indicators etc all dead, and when hit starter button nothing....Any thoughts where to start?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

And a new battery.
They shouldn't have just jumped it without checking output voltage, ask for compensation.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Ges

Post by Ges »

Cheers, should it be a case of just changing the Rectifier and Battery. or any thing else to check?
Ges

Post by Ges »

Tony..changed Rectifier for an R6 one and put another battery in but still no joy, have lights but when try to start nothing apart from an electrical / rattling / flapping noise (not a great description I know) which I did not have before, any thoughts on what I should try next....You originally said on this post you did home visits! if petrol paid for, do you still do this if I get stuck?
Cheers
Ges