Hello from new member Mike TW9

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Mike TW9

Re: Hello from new member Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

Thanks all for the latest advice!

I'll do a few more basic checks today. Interesting that it's normal for the chain to be able to clank the exhaust pipe even if it doesn't happen going along, I wouldn't have expected that.

And yes, I've got standard CCTs and just posted a question on another thread- how paranoid should I be about failure? The odo shows 22,700 miles & I don't know whether/when the valve clearances/cam chain/tensioner were last checked.
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

The chain looks like it's virtually touching the pipe at rest, but there's no clanking when riding or pushing it forward and the slack is perhaps 2.5 inches (think it should be about 1.5 from recollection), so don't think it's urgent yet.

But I'm wanting to get into good habits, so I watched a youtube video on cleaning and lubing the chain and did that. There's no tool kit under the seat, so bought a 27mm socket head to loosen the axle to tighten the chain only to fine the attachment size is different to the one on my handle. So tightening it will have to wait.

The cam chain tensioner is standard and, as I said in a different thread, I don't really know how paranoid I should be about this (I need to check if someone's replied). It's got 22,700 on the clock, I know lots of people fit a manual one or do the stopper mod, but then I see reference to expecting 60,000. Just how likely is it to fail? Do many owners just cross their fingers and if they do, are they being reckless? I guess its partly about peace of mind, but when I bike costs under £1,500 maybe the risk is worth it? I would doubtless be gutted if it did go.

Original plan today was to join the people's climate march in London by bicycle but the lure of my new gas guzzling baby was to strong, so went for a blat to Box Hill. Great fun once I was on the A3 and no sign of power loss. Even more fun chasing some guy on a 2 stroke coming up the the hill, but nothing remotely silly.

What a gorgeous bike! Why would I want a Ducati? (Not sure if that's a dirty word round here)
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

Hi mike, for just £54.00 I can supply a pair of manual ccts & take that worry away, the thing is when they fail (and it is when not if) it is costly, new valves, piston & head in bad cases & a pain stripping the bike down.check my post for more details, I can supply instructions to.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Welcome along Mike :wave:

Sounds like you are pleased with your new bike and taking the sure and steady approach to keeping your bike maintained, which is a good thing :thumbup:
The CCT's rely on a small spring to keep the tension on the cam chain, when this spring fails, the damage it can cause to your engine is pretty bad.

The springs in the ccts have been reported to have failed from lower than 6k miles and some have reached 40k+ so it is just luck!

Personally, I'd do the stopper mod in your case, it takes very little time, can be done with average spanner wielding skills and merely requires a total of 30mm of 8mm aluminium rod!

Read through the "read me for new members" section, you will find lots of advice, tips & tricks on the most common niggles/quirks.

Start with making the CCT's safe & check your regulator/rectifier type.

:thumbup:
Jamie :wave:
Watty

Post by Watty »

Mike TW9 wrote:Thanks all for the latest advice!

I'll do a few more basic checks today. Interesting that it's normal for the chain to be able to clank the exhaust pipe even if it doesn't happen going along, I wouldn't have expected that.

And yes, I've got standard CCTs and just posted a question on another thread- how paranoid should I be about failure? The odo shows 22,700 miles & I don't know whether/when the valve clearances/cam chain/tensioner were last checked.
As long as the drive chain is clear of the left link pipe without you on the bike it'll be fine mate, I personally wouldn't have it touching it though! As for the cct's and I think most will agree, don't do nothing! Stopper or manuals! But each to their own :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Watty wrote:
Mike TW9 wrote:Thanks all for the latest advice!

As long as the drive chain is clear of the left link pipe without you on the bike it'll be fine mate, I personally wouldn't have it touching it though! As for the cct's and I think most will agree, don't do nothing! Stopper or manuals! But each to their own :thumbup:
Afraid I don't agree about the drive chain touching the link pipe, because it's possible to cram the lower section of the system up further than it's designed to go, onto the downpipe from the rear head. This will have the effect of making the link pipe higher or lower, and the chain could touch it.
But because the link pipe position isn't fixed, but depends upon the last person to fit the exhaust system, you need to adjust the chain properly, not just measure the clearance against the link pipe.
And measuring it with you off the bike is also pointless. The geometry of the front sprocket and swing arm spindle on these means that the chain will tighten as you sit on it. Adjust it with no weight on the bike and you will get it too tight once you climb aboard.

SO:
Stick it on a rear paddock stand, and find the tightest point of the chain.
Now get someone of the same sort of weight as you to sit on the bike, and then adjust the chain.

Then check rear wheel alignment, because the marks on the adjuster are often out.
Clamp two bits of angle- ali is best, wood warps- to the rear tyre, so that they stick forwards either side of the front wheel.
Adjust so that there is an equal gap.

Re CCT's, I've lost count of the number of engines I've rebuilt or repaired because of cct failures.

Manuals or stopper mod, but don't trust to luck.
Half the people on this forum came here because of failures- I did.
And I'd replaced mine with new Honda ones eighteen months previously.

BTW, the colour of dots makes no difference at all.

Good that you're enjoying it. Ride it until it doesn't scare you then tune it until it does- and repeat. :thumbup:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Welcome in TW9.

Yep get the CCT's changed ASAP.

+ 1 on what tony says re chain.

Mac.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Hi mike, for just £54.00 I can supply a pair of manual ccts & take that worry away, the thing is when they fail (and it is when not if) it is costly, new valves, piston & head in bad cases & a pain stripping the bike down.check my post for more details, I can supply instructions to.
Bimey we'll have to start calling you Tony Blair with those sort of scare tactics. :lol:

That really is the worst case scenario. It is rare for the piston and head to be damaged to the point of needing replacement. 9 times out of 10 it ends up being a couple of bent valves needing replacement, some even get away with just a slipped chain if REALLY lucky and dip the clutch and kill the engine in time. It's just more economical and easier to transplant a used complete cylinder head on in some cases. However Tensioners on these bikes are a gamble and SHOULD be dealt with either manual or do the stop mod to avoid costly repairs. Even manuals have known to fail if they unwind themselves from bad installation or trying to adjust with the engine running, not to mention damage to other areas if overtightened.

Welcome to the forum TW9 :beer:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

Thanks again, you guys are magic!

Jamoi sounds convincing saying opt for the stopper mod (thanks mate!). I'm good with bicycles but fairly novice with m/cycles, so average spanner wielding skills sounds good. I'll check the rectifier too, pretty sure it'll be the unfinned one. I'll aim to get this done over the winter. In the meantime, thanks Carl, that's reassuring.

And thanks Tony for the detailed chain advice, reckon you could be right that the pipe is closer than normal. I'm gonna have to get a paddock stand or suspend the back end from a beam.

Cheers! :D
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

what are you up to this Saturday mate, a few of us are getting our bikes dyno'd in the east end, 2 mins from tower bridge, if your free, you should pop over and we can give your bike the once over, dyno runs are £15 each.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

I'd love but...

My 11 yr old daughter is v excited daddy has a bike again, though she hasn't seen it yet (am divorced, and chuffed she's thrilled) . She knows i used to take her elder sister on the back and can't wait to have a go herself. Saturday morning is the appointed time. The plan is- Go to JSS Accessories in New Malden & get her a helmet for £40, then pick up the bike and take her for a spin, dropping her off in Teddington at 2.30. Realistically I couldn't commit to being in the East End much before 3.30. Or just maybe I could squeeze it in before 2.30 bringing her with me. Sorting the helmet out Thurs or Fri eve might help. Or maybe she'll cancel her rowing session at 2.30 if she likes the idea of coming along.

What time did you have in mind? Hope I can work it out! Many thanks! :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Ooh no., I wouldn't.... not before tensioners have been sorted. Not the way dyno guys lay off the throttle :eek2 But come along for the crack and to meet a few faces. :thumbup:

==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

cybercarl wrote:Ooh no., I wouldn't.... not before tensioners have been sorted. Not the way dyno guys lay off the throttle :eek2 But come along for the crack and to meet a few faces. :thumbup:

I doubt a dyno run would make any difference carl, but he doesn't have to have a dyno run, as you say, just come along for the fun of it. theres no hard and fast time, I was thinking mid day onwards, but if it suits people to be a little later, then that's fine with me, iirc the guys are open until 5pm, i'll check with them tomorrow just to make sure.
i'm glad your daughter is excited mate, sounds like she'll catch the biking bug.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

Great, sounds hopeful for late afternoon then, keep in touch thanks.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Mike TW9 wrote:Great, sounds hopeful for late afternoon then, keep in touch thanks.
i'll pm you my number mate
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!