Belly Pan Restoration

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Belly Pan Restoration

Post by sirch345 »

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Hopefully that will make the job a little easier Mark,

Chris.
Watty

Post by Watty »

markbo wrote:brilliant thanks Chris

i'll take a good look at your pictures tomorrow and take the laptop out to the bike so i can figure it all out

you guys are soooo helpful!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

have you got the cleanest bike in the world?? :thumbup:
No I have :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
markbo

Post by markbo »

finally managed to get a couple of hours work in on the red belly pan - i've sanded back the fibreglass areas and filled over with P38 - that smell is filling the house again :lol: i'm growing accustomed to it :crazy:

just got to wait for it to fully cure then i'll sand that down along with the rest of it and get ready to prime it.
i'm thinking that a coat of primer will show up any imperfections which i can then fill before the final colour?

hopefully i'll get a couple of hours this afternoon to work on the yellow one too and get that sanded down as well - there's a lot less filling to do on that one! :clap:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

i'm thinking that a coat of primer will show up any imperfections which i can then fill before the final colour?
Commonly know as a miss-coat, it soul purpose being to show up any imperfections.

Very addictive smell that two pack filler, it's the same for petrol, hot tar, coffee, early morning grass dew, burning WD40, gunpowder Mmmm all the lovely smells in the world :biggrin

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
markbo

Post by markbo »

cybercarl wrote:
Commonly know as a miss-coat, it soul purpose being to show up any imperfections.

Very addictive smell that two pack filler, it's the same for petrol, hot tar, coffee, early morning grass dew, burning WD40, gunpowder Mmmm all the lovely smells in the world :biggrin

isn't a soul purpose something to do with motown? :lol:

"the smell of napalm early in the morning"
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

"the smell of napalm early in the morning"
The smell of warfare. I also like the smell of diesel and oil as it leaks out the bilges into the water.

If you end up doing some more filling, prime it again before the colour. The point of priming is to also give an even porosity for the colour to absorb into :wink: Your doing a good job there mate. Don't be too dis-heartened when you get the odd stone chip or mark when in use. It will never be as tough as the original (2k) paint. You can try and prevent this with a good build up of lacquer. It's a little gutting when you get a mark on something you have put so much hard work into but take pleasure from the learning curve and the Finnish you got to begin with and the many more years you get from the repair and protection.

markbo

Post by markbo »

cheers Carl

it would have been a lot easier to buy a new one but i'm having fun so far with the restoration project and like you say the sense of achievement is reward in itself ...
i'm sort of dreading the final colour bit but i'm not going to try to match the original yellow so that should be one less worry!
gabi81

Post by gabi81 »

Don't settle for just one coat of primer do at least 2 and use a pencil to mark the imperfections that will show after sanding the 1st coat ...you can either use filler to adjust or a thicker coat of primer if not very deep
Sanding guide for the 1st coat would be a240 and final 2000 as for the paint what I do is spray it the colour desired (in your case yellow) and buff it with 2400 grit and add 3 coats of laquer for durability(remember these need sanding slightly between coats so they don't flake off)
As for the thin bit that is very close to the exhaust either wrap it in heat resistant foil or chop it off and replace with metal
But good job
Aha you know what it is black and yellow...black and yellow !!!
gabi81

Post by gabi81 »

markbo wrote:cheers Carl

it would have been a lot easier to buy a new one but i'm having fun so far with the restoration project and like you say the sense of achievement is reward in itself ...
i'm sort of dreading the final colour bit but i'm not going to try to match the original yellow so that should be one less worry!
Don't spray close to the pan and also make sure the area you spray in is warm(ish) its better to do 2-3-4 passes in short bursts then to pile paint on only to remove it as its dripping
Its all in the wrist but take your time and you will do a good job
markbo

Post by markbo »

rubbed the red one down and put a thin grey primer coat on which was very useful for providing an even surface with any imperfections showing up really well.
why doesn't all paint go on as easily as primer?

here''s the results

need to sort out the hole areas - filler and dremel?

also one of the scoop areas need working on

this one is just for the wheelie bins!!

think i'm going to go for a metallic gold to see how that looks with the yellow.

thanks for all the help and advice i've received
mark
Watty

Post by Watty »

markbo wrote:rubbed the red one down and put a thin grey primer coat on which was very useful for providing an even surface with any imperfections showing up really well.
why doesn't all paint go on as easily as primer?

here''s the results

need to sort out the hole areas - filler and dremel?

also one of the scoop areas need working on

this one is just for the wheelie bins!!

think i'm going to go for a metallic gold to see how that looks with the yellow.

thanks for all the help and advice i've received
mark
Keep up the good work Mark, looking good :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
gabi81

Post by gabi81 »

The hole bit just sand it down with fine coarse paper and fill it up with a washer to match don't over spray it as most of that bit will be hidden and you don't want paint to run...
As for the other bits as you sand they will vanish but just to be sure prime again and after sanding make sure you degrease the whole pan before applying paint!!!
markbo

Post by markbo »

Watty wrote:Keep up the good work Mark, looking good :thumbup:
gabi81 wrote:The hole bit just sand it down with fine coarse paper and fill it up with a washer to match don't over spray it as most of that bit will be hidden and you don't want paint to run...
As for the other bits as you sand they will vanish but just to be sure prime again and after sanding make sure you degrease the whole pan before applying paint!!!
thanks

i took a dremel to the holes last night and got each one looking like this

they're smooth to touch now and i think with primer and a washer they'll look fine - i'll spray the washer the same colour as the finish as well.

just need to coincide a couple of good weather days with days when i'm not doing anything now!
gabi81

Post by gabi81 »

I wouldn't bother spraying the washer as paint will come off when u tighten them up
And with the holes being small areas at angles if not prepared ok paint will show a different shade as rest
You went a bit far using a dremel as it will show just prime but add it thicker than normal and sand
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Not so thick that you cant get the bolts in without taking some off the edges though :wink: Careful when it comes to rubbing down those areas as you will soon get below the primer.

Coming along nicely :thumbup: