Valve clearances

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
dookie

Valve clearances

Post by dookie »

Hi everyone had my firestorm just over a month and am very very happy with it.
Right to the point the bike has done 17000m and is due its major service , ive already change the oil and filter and want to check and adjust the valve clearances on monday in a mates workshop.
The thing is were both very competent mechanics but only have experiance with 2 strokes so everything is okay but we have never done any work on 4stroke heads.
I have bought a haines manual and it doesnt seem to dificult, so does anyone have some advice and things to watch out for that will be of help?
Any advice welcome.
I was thinking of buying a cbr600 but after much looking decided i could buy a later better condition storm for the same money
97c 17000m very good standard condition £1900 bargain
a lot of bike for not a lot of money , and a reminder that if you want to get a deal do it 2 weeks before christmas.
Also any ideas what it would cost to get them adjusted at a bike shop?
Many thanks
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Your right, it's pretty straight forward.
The only advise I can give is.
If any of the shims need replacing make sure the relavent piston is at TDC before removing the cam tensioner. If you take the tensioner out before the strength of the valve springs can cause the cams to turn and knock your alignment out.

Pete.l
dookie

Post by dookie »

Did the service this morning and was it a treat to work on a bike made by honda , everything came apart and went back together very smoothly.
All the clearances were ok and i fitted 2 new cam chain tensioners and spark plugs.
I also did the ridge removing airfilter mod and the bike is running sweet :D :D :D
xxxrated

Post by xxxrated »

how much did it cost for fron and rear CCT and how long roughly do they take to change. i want to get round to doing mine but am just wondering if i can do it in a weeknight or is it best to leave for the weekend
dookie

Post by dookie »

The ccts are £26 from david silver spares but once you add vat , delivery and a couple of gaskets its about £75 for 2.
As for replacing them you need to make sure the relevent cylinder is at tdc on the compression stroke so you need to remove the valve covers.
The rear is no problem at all taking about 30 mins but the front is a bugger cause you have to remove the fairing the oil cooler to get at the valve cover.
I also made a tool by cutting down a small screwdriver to retract the ccts for removal and fitting.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

dookie wrote:Did the service this morning and was it a treat to work on a bike made by honda , everything came apart and went back together very smoothly.
All the clearances were ok and i fitted 2 new cam chain tensioners and spark plugs.
I also did the ridge removing airfilter mod and the bike is running sweet :D :D :D
:D Well thats you sorted for summer :D
My Shims were still okay when it went in for it's 32,000 service. Nice solid engine in these buggers all you need do is keep an ear out for the cct's and they'll run for ever.

Pete.l