44T Rear Sprocket?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Jaiendea

44T Rear Sprocket?

Post by Jaiendea »

Hi everyone.

Can anyone tell me if they've tried a 44 tooth rear sprocket with a standard 16 tooth front sprocket? If so, would I need a longer chain? Would this give me increased acceleration or would it cause me to fight to keep the front wheel down? On my last bike I went -1 on the front and +2 on the rear. The results were great. Would I get the same effect by just going up 3 teeth on the rear?

Thanks in advance.
lloydie

44T Rear Sprocket?

Post by lloydie »

Going up 3 on the rear is the same as going down 1 on the front but more expensive .

Can't comment on chain length as when I tried it my chan was at the end of its life
Last edited by lloydie on Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
popkat

Re: 44T Rear Sprocket?

Post by popkat »

3 up on the back would need a longer chain, I've tried different gearing and the best I ended up with was just 1 up on the rear, I did this on standard chain length.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

As Popkat says, you would need a longer than standard length drive chain if you fit a 44 tooth rear sprocket. With a 16 tooth front sprocket the biggest you can go with a standard length chain is a 43 tooth rear sprocket,

Chris.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

sirch345 wrote:As Popkat says, you would need a longer than standard length drive chain if you fit a 44 tooth rear sprocket. With a 16 tooth front sprocket the biggest you can go with a standard length chain is a 43 tooth rear sprocket,

Chris.
+1 on that. 43 tooth max on standard chain and front sprocket. Get the flywheel done and fit a 43 tooth. joy oh joy.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Or, leave the gearing alone and add more power with engine work.
Same feeling but quicker.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

or buy a Tuono, more power as stock. USD forks, faster etc, oops sorry this is a VTR forum. :lol:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

bigtwinthing wrote: buy a Tuono
:Banned:
Jaiendea wrote:Would this give me increased acceleration or would it cause me to fight to keep the front wheel down?
Yes and Yeesss! Go for +2 on the rear. My favourite mod on the Storm, it feels like an extra 20bhp and only for £20 :Woohoo1:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

bigtwinthing wrote:or buy a Tuono, more power as stock. USD forks, faster etc, oops sorry this is a VTR forum. :lol:
Shouldn't it be me making those kind of comments? :lol:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

YES, :lol: i can see the point of more power but seriously you are not going to get a lot more from a storm without spending a fortune. You may as well buy a faster bike! My mate has a 2009 Tuono and its as fast as i ever want to go and leaves my storm ,lies behind, i have tried the V4 and its seriously quick. My R1 made me crap myself and the Blade was so smooth you were doing 140 before you knew it.

My Storms plenty quick enough but i want to ride it better. The handlings really good now so only got myself to blame if iam slow. In the Forest on roads i know aim okay, my mates flash by on the straights on there IL4,s etc bit they have no soul, i can loose them in tight twisty stuff i know.

The flywheel was a great mod, the rear 43 tooth sprocket was a great mod. The Renthals, WP shock and Rogers Forks have made it a great bike.
The missus just don't like Twins!! :lol: Just have to go on my own then.Result.
simo

Post by simo »

lloydie wrote:Going up 3 on the rear is the same as going up 1 on the front but more expensive .

Can't comment on chain length as when I tried it my chan was at the end of its life
I don't thinks Lloydie.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

simo wrote:
lloydie wrote:Going up 3 on the rear is the same as going up 1 on the front but more expensive .

I don't thinks Lloydie.
it is true, 1 down on front equals 3 up on rear

e: now I see lloydie´s typo ...
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Thought I edited it before someone noticed [LOUDLY CRYING FACE]
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

Yes and Yeesss! Go for +2 on the rear. My favourite mod on the Storm, it feels like an extra 20bhp and only for £20 :Woohoo1:

Pete.l[/quote]

how much does this knock of the top end ? ?
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

it's not so much what you lose as how many revs you are doing when cruising on motorways in top.
Lowering the gearing means losing that long-legged feeling of travelling at fats motorway speeds at less than half the revs available.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.