home/bike disasters

General Biker Banter
agentpineapple

home/bike disasters

Post by agentpineapple »

after reading about kev64 spraying a fairing in his hallway whilst the misses is away, I wonder if anyone else has taken liberties in and around the house.
a few years ago i'd painted my cam covers with vht paint, and I decided to try and cure the paint by sticking the cam covers in the oven, not wanting to get in trouble, I decided to wait until everyone was in bed before hatching my master plan, guess what, epic fail, the kitchen filled with smoke, the house stank of burning cam covers.... :oops:
I frantically ran around the house opening windows and wafting the smoke away, I had to smash one smoke alarm to stop it sounding..... :oops:
so who else has done something silly whilst in the pursuit of making their bike better...... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
kev64

Re: home/bike disasters

Post by kev64 »

Before the makeshift spray booth, I just sprayed in the living room !
Black paint is still on the orange suite !
Luckily I got a stone floor
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

No where near as bad as you boys, well that could be arguable, im using the Mrs dressing room as storage for all my track bits, and there's loads :lol:
popkat

Post by popkat »

When I was 16 I thought it would be a good idea to decoke my AP50 exhaust in the bath while my parents were away for the weekend, by the time they got back I still hadn't been able to get all the black sh1t off the bath.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

The family dishwasher makes a great parts cleaner and degreaser. Just be sure the wife never finds out. :Wink:

Once when my kid was about 9 I bought a POS Honda XL100. This thing had been through 100 kids and look horrible. To my son it looked like the picture of beauty. It was raining the day we brought it home and at the time I had no shop in which to work on it. I rolled it into the living room and my wife was incredulous. She was on her way out the door and said "just don't run it in the house." I never intended to but that sounded like a challenge. As luck would have it every thing was right for a start up. It fired up and blew huge clouds of blue smoke all over the house. Like you we ran around frantically opening windows. My wife came home. All the windows were wide open and it still smelled like oil smoke. Mad! Oh she was mad but this is one of my great memories my son and I share.

When I was building the Norton, I had just gotten the frame and assorted bits back from the powder coater. I am not a purest and I did the frame in yellow. It was really nice and clean so I put all the pieces in the bed room. I had been give an ultimatum that I was to not build the bike in the house. I let the frame sit a couple of days and while she was out one day I slipped the spotless transmission into the frame cradle. Every time she went out I would add something until one day she said "Don't think I don't know what your doing. I want it out of the house now! That was the end of that but the motor, transmission, electrics and swing arm were all together by that point.

Jim
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Yep the dish washer works very well as a parts cleaner .
The missus went out for the day so I loaded the dish washer up with various parts and went to tinker in the garage .
I came back into the house a few hours later to find it had run its cycle and as I started to unload the dish washer I noticed it was a right oily mess and stunk too .
It took me 6 hours to remove all traces of oil and grime from inside it so she wouldn't find out and to this day she hasn't :thumbup: .
However with the dishwasher cycle time and the time it took me to clean it afterwards it would of been quicker to clean the parts by hand :-(
Gazfirestormowner

Post by Gazfirestormowner »

Rebuilt my gas gas trials bike in the utilty room while the misses was at work as it was too cold in the man cave only problem was I couldn't get it out on my own and had to wait till she got home for her to help me lol she wasn't happy with me running the front tyre over the top of the washer and tumble dryer :lol:
GreenEyedGecko

Post by GreenEyedGecko »

I had the cylinder head roasting in my oven last year.

To cut short a long story ( which started with a broken stud, and involved a snapped Eazyout, lots of swearing and my cack-handedness ) the stud hole ended up oval (feck, I hate power tools)

So Mr Gecko brazed the hole using an aluminium alloy. But, he reckoned that to avoid any warping caused by a temperature gradient, first we should heat the casting up in my oven.

At this point I was strangely conflicted. A great manky chunk of engine in my oven!! 8O There was so much smoke that my eyes were stinging and the kitchen stunk, how wrong is that .... BUT...... it was a bit of my engine and I wanted it fixed.......

So now I cant really complain when he wants to bring bits of his bike into the house.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

That is so funny, the ultimate dilema... Kitchen or bike :lol:
AMcQ
simo

Post by simo »

Aye well I was doing abit of stove enamelling , hung a few small brackets in the oven for a couple of hours than turned it off. Never thought anymore but serving the dinner next day, some of it came out of the Cassoroll.

Nowhere as funny as some of the previous posts. Lmao
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Gazfirestormowner wrote:Rebuilt my gas gas trials bike in the utilty room while the misses was at work as it was too cold in the man cave only problem was I couldn't get it out on my own and had to wait till she got home for her to help me lol she wasn't happy with me running the front tyre over the top of the washer and tumble dryer :lol:
At some events you would have to ride out of a section like that!
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Gazfirestormowner

Post by Gazfirestormowner »

Big_Jim59 wrote:
Gazfirestormowner wrote:Rebuilt my gas gas trials bike in the utilty room while the misses was at work as it was too cold in the man cave only problem was I couldn't get it out on my own and had to wait till she got home for her to help me lol she wasn't happy with me running the front tyre over the top of the washer and tumble dryer :lol:
At some events you would have to ride out of a section like that!
I would have rode it out but think I'd be sleeping in the garden if I'd filled the house with 2stroke smoke as well lol :lol:
bald_pig

Post by bald_pig »

This is why my dad has an oven in the garage now :D
Richy85

Post by Richy85 »

Can't claim to have played shenanigans in the house like you guys as when I was at home my parents would never have stood for it and if I pulled any of that sh1t now with my bird I'd be dismantled into lots of tiny bloody pieces :cry:

Though, when I was sharing a house with a few mates we pulled some funny sh1t on one of them :D .
He had a couple of bikes back in the day but got a bit scared so he ended up getting a quad bike instead... Was a nice quad bike, was a full on meaty one, not like those chav ones you see razzing about.
Anyways as we had only one garage for the house and there was four of us, space was pretty tight what with three motorbikes and a big ass quad and being that he NEVER rode the damn thing (must have done 500 miles in the years he had it!) we got really pissed off with it clogging/hogging all the space in the garage.
Anyways, he went off on holiday to Thailand and after (quite) a few drinks one saturday afternoon we hatched a cunning plan :clap: it was a perfect opportunity to play silly buggers :clap:
Whilst he was away we assembled into a well oiled machine of mischief and made merry dismantling his quad and brought it into the house piece by piece and re-assembled it in his bedroom :lol:
It's amazing how quickly you can do sh1t with three people and copius amounts of alcohol :Beer1:

the funniest thing is that it's still bloody there 5 years later :clap:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Give him back the tools !! Ha ha that is funny :thumbup: