how to change an ignition switch

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
rhys0019

how to change an ignition switch

Post by rhys0019 »

Hi my bike got stolen a few weeks ago and it was a cat d riright off. I brought it back off the insurance the damage was a dented tank, smashed lower faring and a smashed ignition switch. I've ordered a new ignition but I am unsure about fitting it I've looked on you tube but there's nothing I was just wondering if anyone could advise me. Do I need to take off the top yoke or can I get to it another way? And does anybody know anyone near wolverhampton that does tank repairs and resprays
ebenviljoen

Re: how to change an ignition switch

Post by ebenviljoen »

same happened to me. front fairing needs to come off completely to get to the plug. unplug it and take the yoke off completely. tricky bit is to get the old ignition out. it looks like rivets keeping it in place but is actually bolts. i drilled holes is each and retracted them with easy outs. and then just used normal bolts to re-attach. hope that helps.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

You'll need to remove the old ign switch from the top yoke - held in by security fittings?

Is your VTR and early or late model with HSS?

http://www.ronayersmotorcycles.com/fich ... veh=132082

http://www.ronayersmotorcycles.com/fich ... veh=132082
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
bsabloke

Post by bsabloke »

Unplug ignition switch from the loom & remove the top yolk with ignition fitted to it.
carefully drill hole in centre of each fixing. Max size 6mm-6.5mm.
they are 8mm shear bolts.
I drilled a 4mm pilot & when i drilled 6mm i wound studs out when i reversed the drill. :thumbup:
2 x 8mm allen key headed bolts required to refit new ignition switch.
i'm not too far away from you. If you need help, bring the yolk over to me & i can sort it for you. I have bolts too :thumbup:
bsabloke

Post by bsabloke »

I didn't remove fairing but did the job ok 8O
macdee

Post by macdee »

ebenviljoen wrote:same happened to me. front fairing needs to come off completely to get to the plug. unplug it and take the yoke off completely. tricky bit is to get the old ignition out. it looks like rivets keeping it in place but is actually bolts. i drilled holes is each and retracted them with easy outs. and then just used normal bolts to re-attach. hope that helps.
like your thinking on the easy outs :thumbup:
told you not to but oh no you knew better
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

If you have a dremell type tool just cut the heads off, the switch will come away & use mole grips to unscrew the remaining bolt. It wont matter if you cut into the switch it's self as you are junking it.

Don't know how much the new switch is costing you but I have one for sale @ £10 it has one key only, getting a 2nd cut will only cost a couple of quid. If you can cancel the order you can save a few bob...It is off a non HISS VRT !

If your interested reply on here & I'll PM you.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
rhys0019

Post by rhys0019 »

Thanks for the replys I wil be doing it this weekend. I think I'll be ok with the fitting. The only problem is that my old ignition had 3 wires . 2 red one blue. I don't know what the blue one is for? My new ignition has four wires? Wdoes anybody know why?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

rhys0019 wrote:Thanks for the replys I wil be doing it this weekend. I think I'll be ok with the fitting. The only problem is that my old ignition had 3 wires . 2 red one blue. I don't know what the blue one is for? My new ignition has four wires? Wdoes anybody know why?

Possible because they have sent the wrong one...

What year is your bike ?

Does it have HISS fitted?
rhys0019

Post by rhys0019 »

It's a 1999 model and it doesn't have hiss on it
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

rhys0019 wrote:It's a 1999 model and it doesn't have hiss on it
Like this one then also off a '98...

The way I see it you have the following options...

A/ If the plug fits, fit it & see if it works, it may not as the HISS system uses a programmable key & the gubbins for that will be in the ECU...

B/ Contact the seller & in the politest possible terms tell the numptie they have sent you the wrong one & you want the correct one with 3 wires or your money back.

C/ Get your money back & buy the one I have for £10 + postage.

Simples...