hello and help needed already

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
RodsOddsAndSods

hello and help needed already

Post by RodsOddsAndSods »

Hello peace to everyone ( except the villages we're blasting through).. vtr owner for the second time... ( must've made an impression.. either that or I'm just into cheap thrills???) owned this one for less than a week and it's already stopped working.. she was a bit rattly but tightened the mcct and now she just won't run?? Great way to start this new relationship..
VTRDark

Re: hello and help needed already

Post by VTRDark »

tightened the mcct and now she just won't run??
Argh, you haven't overtightened them have you. Which procedure did you use to tighten them up.

Best to remove the cam covers and measure the chain tension.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=28583

Welcome to the forum. :beer:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
RodsOddsAndSods

I turned the back cylinder off half a turn..run the bike and adjusted till it sounded sweet.. done the same with the front one... Turned it off... Had a cuppa tea, then done the brake switches... ran it while I was sorting them, no issues.. everything was cool, family came and admired my bike ( vtrs have a charm).. had a few hours chilling out, the moment my lid was on and I was ready to ride... Then nothing.. put the battery on charge, cleaned the starter wires, turned the cct off the quater turn I put on em still nothing.. it chugged a bit but never caught on?!?!? it's making me feel like I should replace the plugs.. maybe balance the carbs.. it was running sweet, well not sweet, has a rattle around 3000 rpm that goes away by 4 thought it was the chain, but really isn't... Looks like I'm going to do more to it than planned.. thought it was gonna last more than one week lol... Any clues???
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

Hi, Welcome, I would just check the basics first taking the plugs out check the condition and is there a spark then check you have fuel getting through, Good luck :thumbup:
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Welcome aboard buddy. Good luck
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

welcome aboard :thumbup:

sorry to hear its not going too well so far. sure you will sort it :thumbup:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Kill switch? Kick stand switch? If it doesn't even fart I am guessing no fire and it's just switched off somewhere. If it pops a bit I am guessing it may be flooded or a plug is sooted up.

Keep and ear on the rattle. It could be important!

Jim
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Fuel tap turned on?

Follow the guide in the link Cybercarl has provided above, to ensure you have the mcct's set up properly.

Welcome :wave:
Jamie :wave:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jamoi wrote:Fuel tap turned on?
I was wondering the same thing, if you had the tank off to adjust the front CCT.

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

Chris.
RodsOddsAndSods

Thank you all for your advice and have done exactly that.. Back to basics of sorts.. Removed the plugs.. What an issue 18mm spanners the front one looking drenched and the back looking a lot more crispy.. cleaned them up and it started first bang... Think it's too rich, heavy smells.. Carbs tomorrow.. sinking feeling that the rattle around 3 to 4 grand isn't the cam chain as I thought.. hoping that carb ballencing might be something of an issue and will sort out some of this vibration???? It's really weird, under 3, ooo rpm its sweet... Over 4ooo it's sweet.. but anywhere Inbetween it's rattling and vibing the bike...Any ideas????? hopefully my little honda has a few more miles in her xxx one love and love this forum many thanks to everyone that makes this community
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

A new bike requires that you get used to the starting procedure and feel. In my limited experience with the Storm (and it is as limited as you can get) I can tell that it doesn't like to be started and restarted with out a good romp to get it hot and blow it out. I actually had the same issues with mine as I was starting it over and over for a few seconds at a time. It started to load up on me. I am glad all is well.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

As you've had the tank off -Have you reconnected the vacuum hose on wrong connector on the fuel tap? Check other hoses from under the tank are correct and not kinked or trapped.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
RodsOddsAndSods

Seriously this bike is making me cry... Cleaned the plugs and rode it 3 miles... Seems like it was starving of fuel.. when I tried to re start it it squealed like a pig and didn't start again... Another day working on it..
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

squealed like a pig
Anther sign of overtightened tensioners. I would not start the bike again until you have checked them properly. You will be over-stressing engine components.

See the link in my above post http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 96#p370161

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside