Rectifier wiring help for mosfet

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
MacV2

Re: Rectifier wiring help for mosfet

Post by MacV2 »

dudehog wrote:Is it ok to use the original top bolt location and put the recti there? Do these get hot enough to damage the fairing plastics? I did think about making an aluminium plate so shift it further up to the wider part of the fairing. Obviously I'll rehouse the indicator relay somewhere else but that's another story.
Also thanks again for all the help. It's really appreciated. If I do make a plate up I'll put up a pic. I may also put the earth wire that sits on the recti bolt straight to the battery. :Mexican Wave:

Before you chop any wires...make sure you have the correct crimping tool...The new crimps you get may be square like the originals, a standard crimping tool will not work as it is a round profile.

How ever all is not lost...you can un-pick the crimped wires from the connector block. Use a small flat blade screwdriver, go in from the back & you will see a small tang, hold this down & you can pull the wire out of the block complete with attached crimp.

These will fit straight onto the new R/R but will not hold in the new 'sub' connector blocks...the new crimps in the kit have a different tang which locks into the block, which you then plug into the R/R...

Yep they is big...lesss heat so plastics should be OK. One bolt should be fine or drill a new hole & use a nut & bolt.

Indi relay I just moved on to the top of the undertray just inside the sub frame rail.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
dudehog

Post by dudehog »

I don't suppose anyone could provide a link to the right crimping tool on ebay could they? The cheaper the better as it's only going to be used this one time, but I do want to do it properly.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

dudehog wrote:I don't suppose anyone could provide a link to the right crimping tool on ebay could they? The cheaper the better as it's only going to be used this one time, but I do want to do it properly.
http://www.rapidonline.com

http://www.rapidonline.com/tools-equipm ... al-86-4512

http://www.rapidonline.com/tools-equipm ... aws-305950

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 80#p375492
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
dudehog

Post by dudehog »

Awesome Now if I can find those on ebay :thumbup:
dudehog

Post by dudehog »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/416110-Mini-M ... 418f04bdb0

This'll be ok won't it? Would prefer one like the chunky one but I'm only using it once :)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

At that price if it works it's a good un, and will be useful for other folk. Otherwise I can lend you mine.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

dudehog wrote:Is it ok to use the original top bolt location and put the recti there? Do these get hot enough to damage the fairing plastics? I did think about making an aluminium plate so shift it further up to the wider part of the fairing. Obviously I'll rehouse the indicator relay somewhere else but that's another story.
Also thanks again for all the help. It's really appreciated. If I do make a plate up I'll put up a pic. I may also put the earth wire that sits on the recti bolt straight to the battery. :Mexican Wave:
You haven't got to make up a mounting plate, I just preffered to use two fixing points. No the MOSFET unit doesn't get very hot at all, only warm I'd say.

This is how it looks fitted with only using one original fixing hole:

And with a mounting plate with two fixing holes:-

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Nice pics Chris and a very neat job. :thumbup:

And I shall add if one wants to be particular about things then some Thermal compound paste/grease could also be added between the plate and the back of the body on the R/R.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

cybercarl wrote:And I shall add if one wants to be particular about things then some Thermal compound paste/grease could also be added between the plate and the back of the body on the R/R.

That's exactly whay I did when I had the R/R problems on my old FireStorm.

Al.
darkember

Post by darkember »

Just need the mosfet when i find a decent priced one and i'll be good to go as well
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:Nice pics Chris and a very neat job. :thumbup:

And I shall add if one wants to be particular about things then some Thermal compound paste/grease could also be added between the plate and the back of the body on the R/R.

Cheers Carl :thumbup:

Chris.
dudehog

Post by dudehog »

Just saw those picture. I've been doing something similar whilst waiting for my heat shrink to turn up.
dudehog

Post by dudehog »

well it's all back together and running a cool 14.25 volts :)
a MASSIVE thank you to all of you for your comments an pics. They've helped a lot :)
:clap:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Excellent - great to hear you've finished the job - Did the ebay bargain price crimps work okay?
dudehog wrote:well it's all back together and running a cool 14.25 volts :)
a MASSIVE thank you to all of you for your comments an pics. They've helped a lot :)
:clap: