No Spark-No Go + massive frustration!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VTRDark

Re: No Spark-No Go + massive frustration!

Post by VTRDark »

Delete your number form a public forum mate I will pm what you have wrote including your number to him.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Gr8whenitgoes

Post by Gr8whenitgoes »

cybercarl wrote:Delete your number form a public forum mate I will pm what you have wrote including your number to him.

Carl - many thanks - I was hesitant but did not know another way of making contact without revealing more details about myself - you can tell I dont use these forums too often! G
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Gr8whenitgoes wrote:
cybercarl wrote:Delete your number form a public forum mate I will pm what you have wrote including your number to him.

Carl - many thanks - I was hesitant but did not know another way of making contact without revealing more details about myself - you can tell I dont use these forums too often! G

my number is 07789500575 ring it if you want to be bored to death :lol:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Is that the local ruby house. :lol: :lol:

Gr8whenitgoes

Post by Gr8whenitgoes »

So Roger came with his VTR and tested my converter and Ign Control units - Thanks to him -, both of the units worked ok, so I slaved the wires from converter to coil, but no change; still no spark on the front cylinder. Be grateful if anyone has some more ideas G
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

All that is left is going back to the basics. I know you say you have checked all this but plug, lead, coil. Work your way backwards. I'm at a loss here. :Shrug: Something has got missed amongst the checks along the line.

Gr8whenitgoes

Post by Gr8whenitgoes »

cybercarl wrote:All that is left is going back to the basics. I know you say you have checked all this but plug, lead, coil. Work your way backwards. I'm at a loss here. :Shrug: Something has got missed amongst the checks along the line.
-
Good advice Carl, and I'm going to make up a peak voltage adapter, and go through the system (again) - thanks
ATM

Post by ATM »

It'll probably be a fractured lead issue somewhere, giving intermittent continuity. Using your DVM what is the resistance between the battery earth terminal and each cylinder head?
If you've over-cooked it, just lean it over more.
darkember

Post by darkember »

Humm this is truly weird. As carl says back to basics I would be, at this stage, questioning the loom.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I know you say you have checked all this but plug
I just realised this does not sound good. "but plug" :lol:

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Change the loom it's cheap and simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gr8whenitgoes

Post by Gr8whenitgoes »

Really appreciate the recent posts. Got fed up with the honda so took a bike that works out for a spin over the Yorkshire Dales and Devils Bridge - as always coming back with a smile! but no VTRs at Devils Bridge to have a chat! I'm almost at the point of changing the harness Lloydie but determined to find a cause, so I will be partially stripping the harness - carefully but not today-visitors! G
Gr8whenitgoes

Post by Gr8whenitgoes »

ATM wrote:It'll probably be a fractured lead issue somewhere, giving intermittent continuity. Using your DVM what is the resistance between the battery earth terminal and each cylinder head?
thanks for this - Earthing has been well tested, and not a problem - and to make sure when I am testing I use jump leads to earth the plugs
Gr8whenitgoes

Post by Gr8whenitgoes »

SO here's a thing. I've now changed the wiring harness - cleaned all contacts etc - and on first start the front sparked well, but then became erratic and now has died completely. The rear keeps sparking well. I have not been able to reliably measure the ignition trigger or converter output voltages; but the trigger and primary/secondary coil resistances are in spec
Could a weak Ignition Triger Voltage output lead to a low Converter output? The only difference in the system is the distance from Converter unit to front coil is much greater for the front cyl than the rear - leading to slight increase in volt drop to the front - clutching at straws now comes to mind!

Any thoughts would be welcome as usual!! or has anyone been able to reliably measure the trigger and converter output voltages? if so how?
:beer: if anyone can sort this I'll buy him a beer or 2! now for me thats generous!
Regards
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Wow this gets stranger and stranger.
Could a weak Ignition Triger Voltage output lead to a low Converter output?
Not sure but if there is a big spike this may damage the converter unit which bring me onto you next question.
has anyone been able to reliably measure the trigger and converter output voltages? if so how?
I have not done it myself as it would require the use of an Oscilloscope to view the Sine wave and you will see it switching on and off by the wave pattern.

Basically either up or down from the centre line is on or off and any excess peaks will be voltage spikes.

FYI The pulse generator/ignition trigger usually fails at higher revs. So let me get this right, the front wasn't sparking at all but then did initially spark once the harness was changed. :think: