My bike just pee'd coolant.

General Bike chat
Dan

My bike just pee'd coolant.

Post by Dan »

Just been for little ride on vtr and came back and parked it up in front on my garage to open it,

Went back to my bike and coolant was coming out of a pipe at the bottom (overflow ??).

Is it normal to do this

My coolant bottle was slightly high in coolant.

Dan
darkember

Re: My bike just pee'd coolant.

Post by darkember »

It could be just expansion and the engine jettisoning the excess. To be sure run it up to temperature preferably on paddock stands so the bike is upright and watch the fan kick in and see if it does it again.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Ye the fan does kick in, it did before.
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

if the expansion tank is between min and max , it shouldn't . Did you brim fill the expansion tank?
Dan

Post by Dan »

When I bought the bike it was slightly high on the expansion tank, I think it's just the excess coming out.

Dan
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Dan

Post by Dan »

Wicky wrote:Image
??????
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Just to make it clear because it's easily missed. The max level for the expansion bottle is about the halfway mark where you see the mould seam running around the circumference of the bottle. Fill while Cold. :wink: As coolant heats up it expands and fills the rest of the bottle and when cool disappears back in like the tide. Any overflow comes out the pipes on the left of the bike as you have found out. Might be an opportunity to do a coolant flush n change, get to know the bike more. What are you like at removing the front fairing?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Dan

Post by Dan »

Is the front fairing a pain to remove.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

probably an air lock, the haynes manual explains how to bleed the system.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Animal

Post by Animal »

Have you checked to make sure the pipe is connected to the expansion bottle, if not you need to. There is also a pipe that that runs to the water pump side where if the seal fails it bleeds through the pipe and hence a drip on the floor.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Went back to my bike and coolant was coming out of a pipe at the bottom (overflow ??).
When you say it is coming out the bottom -is that the bottom of the coolant reservoir bottle or bottom of the bike at the front of the engine casing (clutch cover) as it will vent coolant from a hole (if early model) or spigot (if late) if there's a seal failure (behind the clutch cover) for the water pump to prevent engine oil getting contaminated with coolant.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Dan

Post by Dan »

It was just excess coolant from the reservoir bottle. I started the bike on Monday and got it up to temp and watch the coolant expand in the bottle.