what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
8541Hawk

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by 8541Hawk »

Good and bad day..... got the jetting dialed in..... well as close as I can without the 46.5 pilot jet I really need..... :lol:
Then found a leak in one of the repacked cans, so have to break one side down again to fix it :Ball Kick:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

Today I was able to verify that I have disabled the 180km/hr speed limited on my Jap market VTR. I followed the instructions on this post:

http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/te ... out-23700/

Basically this was as easy as unbolting the instruments from the subframe, flipping them over and finding the pink/green wire screwed into the back amongst four terminals, Unscrew this, tape up the loose wire and reassemble, easy peasy.

On a "closed course" I was able to wind the bike well off the 190km/hr speedo, all the way to 6 o'clock at which point I felt that I'd proved my point.

2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Ok, thanks for the invite, we will do the next op storm on your private track :D Looks great with the sea in the background :thumbup:
AMcQ
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

AMCQ46 wrote:Ok, thanks for the invite, we will do the next op storm on your private track :D Looks great with the sea in the background :thumbup:
I'm lucky enough to live about a 5 min ride from some great country roads. I have a preferred loop that I ride (probably too often) that includes some fast open stuff, some very tight nadgery stuff, and all roads in between. About 145km around, so just enough for one tank on the 'Storm, and a mix of nice country and coastal roads.

You're welcome to join me whenever you like. :cool2
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Rode it 200 miles today, twiddled with the rear shock set up, got the remote on no 4 and it seemed fine on some bumpy roads, I've almost got the rear tyre right off now, about 1/4" to go. Did 61mph on the Cadnum loop, so getting faster, the bike is handling a dream. Loving the Forks Roger.

Looking forward to the ride up to Mac,s. I wore my 1 piece leathers today, and there so comfy on the bike but murder to walk any place in, even from the car park to costa as the hump is uncomfortable when your arms are back etc, + I've gained a bit of weight!!!.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

Today I received a few new bits, a new thermostat and new fork springs.

I was pretty sure my thermostat had failed as the radiators start heating as soon as the bike starts, but the old one I removed looked absolutely fine. I could test it, but instead I just tossed in the new one. To get at it, I removed the airbox and that made it easier to access the TPS, so I had a look at that too. Found this set to 890 ohms!! :eek2 Whats the highest stock position anyone has seen?? Best I could get to without any alterations was 773, so I pulled the unit off and bent one of the tangs (thanks for the how-to, Cybercarl!). This is now reset to exactly 500. I thought the bike started and ran ok before so I will be interested to see what changes this makes.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

1200 I found one set too .
Pop the old thermostat in a pan of water and boil it to test it , if it pops open you know it works , then keep it safe just in case

Lube, no lube, it's your choice .
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

lloydie wrote:1200 I found one set too .
Pop the old thermostat in a pan of water and boil it to test it , if it pops open you know it works , then keep it safe just in case

Good idea about keeping the tstat as a spare, I'll do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I did my thermostat test last night on the old one I pulled out. The darned thing looks like it works fine, so I'm mystified why the bike wasn't heating up as it should. I'll have to see how the new one performs. Here's a picture of my test rig (don't tell the missus!):

I also took out the shims on the rear inlet valves, I had bought a selection of shims so I would be able to replace any I needed, but of course, I did not have the size that I needed ( a 2.00 and 2.05mm). So back together it all went, until the new shims arrive. I did verify that if I cable tied the chain to the sprockets I was able to keep the valve timing exactly unchanged while pulling out the camshaft, which makes for a trouble-free shim swap.

Finally, I installed the new fork springs and big-port pistons that I had purchased. I think I need to change the spacer length as I needed full pre-load to get 31mm sag so I'll cut some more today.

I was able to fire the bike up for the first time since the TPS adjustment, and initial impressions would suggest it is far more lively at low revs now. If the weather cooperates I'll take a test run around the neighbourhood this evening and see....
Cadbury64

what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by Cadbury64 »

I'd have to say the TPS reset has been really great, the idle speed rose by 200rpm and the pickup off a closed throttle seems to be much keener.

I'm also pretty happy with the front suspension changes, the bike is much steadier over bumps and seems to be soaking them up better. This was my first VTR night ride and the headlight isn't the best, but was really not helped by being aimed too low, a consequence of the shock shim and dropping the forks by 6mm as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Sadly only moved it to allow more Gardening crap in.

This weekend i have a mini digger, 2 x6yd skips, 24 fence posts and panels and gravel boards to put in, and a stump grinder all hired. Don't think i will get to ride it much.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Stripped front end (964 usd's) and fitted a new seal, one was leaking.
Also refitted the 9Kg K-tech springs, but with a 115 air gap. Tried them before with a 90mm gaop and it was much too harsh, adn swapped it to std springs and 115- it was too soft, too much dive.
So let's see what this feels like.

Checked and regreased the shock linkage.
Not much more I can do for now until the Hagon comes back after it's refresh, and the spare heads come back with oversize inlet valves fitted.

But tomorrow I'll strip the high level MIG's and see if I can rebuild them a little bit shorter. They've lasted pretty well, but now the perforated tubes inside have started breaking up, so time for a bit of tlc.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

bigtwinthing wrote:Sadly only moved it to allow more Gardening crap in.

This weekend i have a mini digger, 2 x6yd skips, 24 fence posts and panels and gravel boards to put in, and a stump grinder all hired. Don't think i will get to ride it much.
Fence posts and gravel boards in and emptied 91 barrow loads of dirt into a skip. Arms are 2 foot longer. Checked the bike. All ok !!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Have you thought about getting the gold valve race teck kit for them tony (work wonders I've read)

tony.mon

Re: what have you done to your

Post by tony.mon »

lloydie wrote:Have you thought about getting the gold valve race teck kit for them tony (work wonders I've read)

Already fitted mate. Red anodised adjuster screws, though.....mind you, once the mud gets on them you can't see the anodising, so all good there.

I quite fancy a cartridge kit, but I may as well just buy the parts and assemble it myself if they sell a shim kit.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.