Mccts

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Yellowone

Mccts

Post by Yellowone »

I'm not to confident on installing the mccts as I don't wanna f--k it up so with that in mind any of you nice people wanna do them for me I'm in Devon I don't mind traveling.
Other bikes yamaha fz1, ktm 660
BrianC

Re: Mccts

Post by BrianC »

I was same mate, but I bit bullet and did it. I had the added issue that whoever replaced the oem ccts previously had set the camshafts wrong. Thus made me scratch my head for ages as I thought I was doing something wrong, but no . I therefore had to sort the cam timing on the rear which was a challenge but with the help and support of these fine people I am well on with it. Fitted the cam covers this afternoon and will continue as time allows. It has taken ages but I gave been cleaning and refurbing as I went ahead.

All I am saying is anything is possible - but if someone will guide you I'm sure that will be good
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

I watched a dear friend do this for me for me ... key... is lining up the timing marks on the crankcase inspection cover .
. then the rotation 1 1/4... turns as previously stated on advice .. Also watch out for dropping any small
nuts washers down below .. they may not be recoverable.. so needed some rags to cover vulnerable
open /spaces is a good idea.... make sure you have a quality thread lock mixture liberally applied
on the Manual CCT threads follow Cybercarls info you should have no difficulty .. about 2
hours from start to finish with a few brews of cha on the go .. best of luck.
Alb :thumbup:
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I did my MCCTs a week ago and it was no drama. Carl's guide is very reliable and easy to follow. I varied by not fully removing the carbs (left the coolant pipes attached and just rotated them out of the way).

The only bit that had me scratching my head was that the cam sprocket marks did not exactly align when the crank mark was dead on, apparently due to a little chain stretch. I used cable ties to attach the chain to the sprockets so there was no chance of the timing getting out of phase.

The online crowd are quick and helpful so I say, give it a go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Yellowone wrote:I'm not to confident on installing the mccts as I don't wanna f--k it up so with that in mind any of you nice people wanna do them for me I'm in Devon I don't mind traveling.
Popkat is Yer Man, Bideford Motorcycle Centre. Top man, ace spanner twirler, VTR owner & not to shabby a racer to boot.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bideford ... ?pnref=lhc

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
popkat

Post by popkat »

Cheers Mac..
Send me a PM Yellowone, or phone or leave FB message. I might not be able to get back to you til Monday as having internet troubles at home, but will try. If you want me to do it it'll have to be a proper workshop job, BUT if you'd like to have a go yourself at my workshop with me on hand for help and advise then that's cool, I don't normally but for a fellow VTR owner I'm happy to help.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

popkat wrote:Cheers Mac..
Send me a PM Yellowone, or phone or leave FB message. I might not be able to get back to you til Monday as having internet troubles at home, but will try. If you want me to do it it'll have to be a proper workshop job, BUT if you'd like to have a go yourself at my workshop with me on hand for help and advise then that's cool, I don't normally but for a fellow VTR owner I'm happy to help.
Marvellous offer Malc... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Yellowone

Post by Yellowone »

Thanks popkat
I have messaged you through FB

Tim
Other bikes yamaha fz1, ktm 660