I Bought It With a Knock

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: I Bought It With a Knock

Post by sirch345 »

Big_Jim59 wrote:
sirch345 wrote:Re: the Moto GP, I can understand you not really interested in going on your own, it's definitely an event you want to share the excitement with while you're there,

Chris.
I have a buddy that he and I have taken a few trips together. He is a great guy. We ride about the same pace. I know he is a good rider and that he is not going to do something stupid and get us killed. We have the same sense of humor and really enjoy each others company. He is younger than me and is just starting a family. His tripping days are over for a while. He has kid bikes and father son/daughter rides to look forward too. I did that with my kids and I understand. He has some great days ahead. I live close to Dallas (80 miles or so) but not close enough to have a group of mates. I tried joining the Norton club but they are more interested in looking at old bikes than in actual riding. Plus I am not much of a club person. I do envy you a bit. The UK seems to have a higher population density and so a lager pool of potential friends. It is the some in the US on the east or west coast but not so much here where everyone is spread out.

As for the Moto GP, this is actually a great time of year to hold a racing event in south Texas. The weather has not turned nasty hot and it makes for a more pleasant event. I think they are getting a little rain down there. This is the time of year for storms.
I know exactly what you mean about riding with someone like your buddy, I also have a someone who I ride with like that, and he's one of my brothers. When my brother is not able to come out on the bike, which is a lot now he has his new girlfriend, I prefer to ride on my own. Then I just go along at my own pace. Riding with others does have it's benefits I know, but if I have done that I usually end up with some who ride at a differnt pace than I do. I quite understand how your buddy needs to be at home more now with starting a family.

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Wow a lot has happened while I have been away. Well done jim :clap: :clap: Bike sounds a lot different. Like you say there is that low down clutch noise which is common with these bikes and nothing to worry about, you probably find as you engage the clutch it will quieten down slightly. But that tappety sound has gone :D it sounds smoother/crispier, I don't know it hard to explain and it is a video so......I bet it sounds better in the flesh as video will pick up all sorts with a good mic.

Now get out and enjoy some sunshine Jim. :thumbup: Sunshine has arrived here now. :Bike: :Bike:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Yes, it does sound a lot more crip. A lot if this, i think can be attributed to the fact that I could actually get a good carb sync. The valve must have been having problems before it failed because I was not able to get an accurate carb sync. It's something I never knew but should have realized, a dodgy intake valve can effect the vacuum.

Yes the sun has come out but oddly enough it has been a wet spring around here. In Texas we never complain about the rain. The joke is, no matter how damaging the storm and no matter how devastating the flood someone will always say ". . .but we need the rain" and everyone will nod in agreement. I would have taken the bike out because I don't let the wet keep me off the road but something happened to my left foot. It's possibly gout or maybe it's mechanical, I don't know. I was doing a lot of getting up and down off the floor in the shop last weekend and that's what I was doing when I hurt my other foot. Never the less it is painful and I am hobbling around the house. The cat and the dog keep trying to step on my foot. It's like they take great pleasure in tormenting me.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Sounds like you need wrapping up in cotton wool . (You'd look like a snow man then lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

lloydie wrote:Sounds like you need wrapping up in cotton wool . (You'd look like a snow man then lol)

Cotton wool or bubble wrap!

Snow man? I already look like Father Christmas!

I had to hobble out to the shop and start it and just give it a listen.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Big_Jim59 wrote:
lloydie wrote:Sounds like you need wrapping up in cotton wool . (You'd look like a snow man then lol)

Tis what I was getting at tho I didn't want to say .
;)
Ohh bubble wrap , now I can loose days with that stuff .

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Big_Jim59 wrote: I had to hobble out to the shop and start it and just give it a listen.
:lol: I've done that before. I hope your foot gets well soon Jim,

Chris.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

lloydie wrote:
Big_Jim59 wrote:

Tis what I was getting at tho I didn't want to say .
;)
My mom and dad live in an assisted living community. Last week a lady came up to me, while i was talking to my dad, and she said "I hope you don't take offense at this but I think you would make a great Santa Claus." I didn't take offense and this is not the first time someone has told me that. Around late August I am going to let me beard really go and see if I can pull it off. I am a bit tall for the part but i do have the middle girth down pat.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

We will want pictures when the time comes :-)

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Your dam right.... :biggrin :biggrin Ho Ho Ho

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I am pretty sure I found the noise that was coming from the clutch side. I pulled the cover and first checked the anti-rattle gear. It was rattling. It had no tension on the springs so out it came. By the way, it has a stock advance plate (two holes). Next I checked the clutch assemble just to make sure the judder spring was in the right way round. It was but since I was in there why not check?

It sounds a lot better but here is the rub, I got hearing aids yesterday and I have been wearing them religiously. They take some getting used to now that I hear EVERYTHING! I am going to have to give it a listen without them in. One of the strange features of these is they have what I call a rev limiter. When the sound gets loud enough to hurt it shuts off. i would rev the VTR and then hearing aids would shut off and then come back on as the revs fell.

All in all it sounds better. i can even hear the whine that I heard in other people's videos but never in my own bike.

It will be a few days before I can test it. It has been raining almost non-stop all of April. My yard and my road are just a sea of mud. Getting the bike out to the road would be a major off-road rally.
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I've really enjoyed your posts Jim.

Did you consider replacing the anti-rattle springs? They look to be a cheap part.

2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Cadbury64 wrote:I've really enjoyed your posts Jim.

Did you consider replacing the anti-rattle springs? They look to be a cheap part.

No, I figure it will run fine and rattle less without it. It is probably my fault. The anti-rattle gear has to have a load on it to keep the gear teeth in contact at all times. During the installation I tried to turn the gear a tooth back to get it to load but it seemed way too tight. I thought that I had contact with the springs the way it was but on inspection that didn't seem to be the case. With it gone it is a problem solved.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I think it is done. In fact i am pretty sure it is done. Today was beautiful. The storms have past. The area lakes are full again. The skies were blue and the temperatures were in the high 80s. In short it was a perfect riding day. Because of the failure during my last outing I made sure the ramp and the tie downs were in the truck. I set out on a set route with mostly straight line roads. I rode the 6 miles from Leonard to Trenton and back a couple of times. This is a 70 mile an hour stretch that allowed the big V-twin to stretch it's legs a bit. It runs great. It pulls hard and shows no sign of jetting problems like popping back on the over run. It runs so good in fact that I was pulled over by the local constabulary. The Leonard cop said he had me at 60 in the long sweeping turn coming out of town by the high school. He said the speed limit was 45 through there and I guess it is. I always accelerate hard when I hit the apex so he could be right. He gave me a warning which is great but that was really too close. The rest of my ride was uneventful if not slower. It is really hard to ride this bike slow although, after the warning, I was creeping along like a dude on a Harley.

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Great news all round Jim, runs good, pulls hard & only a warning to boot... :lol: :lol:

Now I don't know about santa but there deff is a resemblance to DLT which is a tad unfortunate TBH... :wtf: 8O :crazy:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...