But my butt didn't ache !!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
tony.mon

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by tony.mon »

kev64 wrote:Miserable cold wet ride out in wales

But my butt didn't ache !!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Would've if you'd worn your sheepskin coat.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

and lloydie had been with you.......... :lol:
just to let you know it will be 32 degree's over here tomorrow, I hope it's warm and sunny in the uk.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Today I spent a few hours working on kermit ,
Replaced the hrc bottle with a very clean standard one ,then spent some time cleaning the engine, brakes ,swing arm, lubed all the rear suspension linkages , cleaned up the rear wheel and sprocket carrier , more to do tomorrow .

Lube, no lube, it's your choice .
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

agentpineapple wrote:and lloydie had been with you.......... :lol:
just to let you know it will be 32 degree's over here tomorrow, I hope it's warm and sunny in the uk.... :thumbup:
32'c and sheep don't mix !!! You lucky git

VTRDaz

Post by VTRDaz »

Ran my new pirelli diablos' in going to Olivers mount hill climb event and back! :thumbup:
just wish I'd entered again.......... :cry:
Might pop up again tomorrow, if it's not wet :lol:
but going to pub now. :beer:
KermitLeFrog

Plug Spanner?

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Well, I've actually managed to get the tank off. This bike hasn't been touched for years and the fuel lines were welded to the spigots. So finally I can replace the manky air filter.

I have new plugs but... guess what, my 18mm plug socket will NOT fit down the tunnel. The, no doubt, very thin Honda box spanner that came with the bike has gone. Can someone give me the bore of the tunnel so I can check whatever I buy will fit? My 18mm socket has an OD of 25.6mm and it wont go in.

TIA
Ian
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
8541Hawk

Re: Plug Spanner?

Post by 8541Hawk »

KermitLeFrog wrote:Well, I've actually managed to get the tank off. This bike hasn't been touched for years and the fuel lines were welded to the spigots. So finally I can replace the manky air filter.

I have new plugs but... guess what, my 18mm plug socket will NOT fit down the tunnel. The, no doubt, very thin Honda box spanner that came with the bike has gone. Can someone give me the bore of the tunnel so I can check whatever I buy will fit? My 18mm socket has an OD of 25.6mm and it wont go in.

TIA
Ian
The one I use has a O.D. of 24.04mm and is sold under the Craftman brand here in the states. :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I had a pair of new tyres fitted (front brand new, rear had a couple of hundred on it) new front wheel bearings then a good ride to bed the front tyre in a little :D
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

More cleaning , some painting , more lubing ,
I'll start the rebuild tomorrow .

How you like them tyres ck ?

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Bits and pieces.... Fitted the rebuilt Hagon remote shock, lubed and fitted shock linkage.
The gasflowed two heads, lapped the valves in, fitted the valve springs (oversize valves already fitted) and built them up. Fitted the rear one with random shims so that I can shim it properly tomorrow.

I'll have my old heads for sale soon to get some of the outlay back. :thumbup:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

Took my first decent open road ride from Howick to Raglan return yesterday, about 360km all up, all of it twisty and pretty empty. I thought I was riding like a god, passed a bloke on an ST1300 and then the sod decided to speed up and keep pace with me. Definitely an ego-crusher to have someone riding a tourer do that to you, to be fair I was keeping the speed down to 130km/hr max, and just enjoying the bends, but I was very impressed by the way this chap was pushing the ST.

I recently went right through my front suspension and fitted high flow valve bodies and Racetech-style shim stacks and new springs, and was generally pretty happy although I had a couple of instances where I bottomed the forks at speed, once while heeled well over which caused a nasty headshake and near trouser-filling moment. I have in the first instance upped the oil weight from 5 to 10, and reduced the air gap from 130 to 120mm. I'll see how that works but am mentally preparing myself to delve back into the wonderful world of shims. The compression valve bodies I bought (very cheap) have three bleed slots machined into the shim face, and I think these are giving too little low-speed damping, and I also bought a set with a single bleed which might be better (although I did enjoy the plushness of the current set-up).

I have also received today a set of CBR954 callipers and m/cylinder, and I'll be fitting these up after an overhaul. I think the fault with the standard brakes is probably the m/cylinder size, it's quite small so you get a lot of lever travel, not much initial bite and then the brakes have a kind of servo effect that makes them come on too strong and bit lock-prone. Has anyone tried a larger diameter master?

I fitted the CBR1000 sidestand (p/no 50530-MEL-000) on Saturday as well, was pretty straightforward although as others have mentioned, a little bit of metal needs to be filed off the bracket so the stand sits properly forward when extended. Has been a perfect complement to a 6mm shock shim and the bike now sits at a perfect angle.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

For the first weekend in many months I didn't do anything to the Storm/Superhawk. Not one thing. I did however put a thermostat in my 2000 Honda VFR. The thermostat is tucked into the V deep under the throttle bodies and all has to be removed for access. Removing the VFR air box and throttle bodies makes doing the same to a VTR seem like child's play by comparison. The VFR air box has a multitude of hoses, vacuum lines and electrical connectors that are next to impossible to access. The boot clamps on the throttle bodies cannot bee seen but must be loosened by feel and guess work. It's done and it really needed doing but it took me three seasons in the shop over as many days.

It's actually great. The old TStat was stuck open and the engine was running warm when the weather was hot and never warmed properly when the weather was cold. Now, on startup, it warms quickly to around 175-178. Then the thermostat opens and the temps start to fall bringing it down a bit and then it stays around 174-176. It's just wonderful. I anticipate being able to ride without fixating on the temperature readout.

After I got finished with the VFR I cleaned up a bit, moved the shop around and put the two Hondas by the door (for easy easy access) and moved the Norton into the work bay. If nothing else it needs a battery and a good clean. It really needs new pipes and I need to lace on some better looking wheels. We shall see how ambitious I get. The good riding weather is here so work in the shop may have to wait.

Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I have also received today a set of CBR954 callipers and m/cylinder, and I'll be fitting these up after an overhaul. I think the fault with the standard brakes is probably the m/cylinder size, it's quite small so you get a lot of lever travel, not much initial bite and then the brakes have a kind of servo effect that makes them come on too strong and bit lock-prone. Has anyone tried a larger diameter master?
That's a fantastic description.

The following thread may be of use to you.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=15494

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

cybercarl wrote:
That's a fantastic description.

The following thread may be of use to you.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=15494

(:-})
Thanks Carl, I had read that post a few times over when I was contemplating de-linking my VFR800 brakes. There's some great info there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150