It's in bits again...

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VTRDark

Re: It's in bits again...

Post by VTRDark »

I used to think there may be a valve in there but there is not. It''s only a reducer and the reason I guess is to distinguish one pipe from another.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Kurt999

Post by Kurt999 »

thanks guys :D
Insurance: Bennetts CH24823B Exp 21/07/17
Mot Exp: 22/05/2017
Tax Exp: TBA
Kurt999

Post by Kurt999 »

MOT 10am today! Bloody dipped beam just blown, other than that I reckon she should fly through.

Insurance £96 comp, can't be bad!

:D
Kurt999

Post by Kurt999 »

MOT passed with no advises!

I have a little problem with the cooling system tho...

I have the HRC expansion bottle. When the bike is running and hot I see constant small air bubbles in the tank, coming from the overflow tube from the radiator. I've double checked that all the hose clips are tight and I don't appear to have a coolant leak. However I'm constantly topping up the expansion tank as the level keeps dropping. The bike runs well with no smoke and doesn't overheat. The whole cooling system was flushed and refilled with fresh coolant. I thought at first it may be a little airlock making it's way out, but the bike's been run to temp about 6 times and ridden today about 20 miles. Do you think it may be the radiator cap failing and letting air in?

Otherwise all seems good

Kurt999

Post by Kurt999 »

After a couple of rides all I can say is...Wow!! the Roger'd forks are a revelation...night and day from the stock items, and the whole bike just feels tighter and more planted. Really pleased with the outcome. Just need to sort my coolant loss problem and maybe upgtade the brakes a little.

kev64

Post by kev64 »

Kurt999 wrote:MOT passed with no advises!

I have a little problem with the cooling system tho...

I have the HRC expansion bottle. When the bike is running and hot I see constant small air bubbles in the tank, coming from the overflow tube from the radiator. I've double checked that all the hose clips are tight and I don't appear to have a coolant leak. However I'm constantly topping up the expansion tank as the level keeps dropping. The bike runs well with no smoke and doesn't overheat. The whole cooling system was flushed and refilled with fresh coolant. I thought at first it may be a little airlock making it's way out, but the bike's been run to temp about 6 times and ridden today about 20 miles. Do you think it may be the radiator cap failing and letting air in?

Otherwise all seems good

I have the HRC bottle fitted, wonder if its location, or the breather/overflow pipe to low, mine was set to low and
coolant was coming out the overflow, also I sealed the pipes going into the bottle
If not I was given the advice also that it may be the rad cap.
Kurt999

Post by Kurt999 »

Thanks... The breather pipe is only just pushed through the lid and I am not losing coolant through it. I can't see any evidence of coolant leak from any hose joint on the engine or rads. I've changed the rad cap for a new one anyway, I guess it's either that or air bubbles slowly working their way out of the system. Everything seems fine with the bike though, running at a 1/4 o the temp gauge on the move and in traffic the fan cuts in at 1/2 on the gauge. If it ever stops raining I'll go for a run and see what happens

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Wow!! the Roger'd forks are a revelation
Or even a Revolution. :biggrin

Expansion bottle I would not worry about too much as long as everything runs fine and does not overheat or loose fluid or too much fluid anyway. A failed rad cap would loose pressure so the bike would take even longer to warm up. Even if there is a small air gap, it's a pressurised system so would force itself against any air trying to get in. Just keep an eye on things to make sure it does not progress into anything worse.

FYI there are two different rad cap pressure ratings for the Storm from early to late. Make sure you have the right one. I can't remember the pressure ratings off the top of my head so you will have to look that one up.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside