Flat bars or Tuono!!!

General Bike chat
popkat

Re: Flat bars or Tuono!!!

Post by popkat »

Steve6088 wrote:
popkat wrote: if you don't need more power (or feeling of more power) then the storm is imo a better all rounder..
The rsv/tuono is a hell of a lot quicker than a storm, not just a bit. It is hardly an illusion of feeling more power. Rode a storm for years and just bought an rsv. The handling takes a bit of getting used to though.

As much as I liked my firestorms, the rsv is a much more sorted bike without having to mod it. As long as you're prepared for the bike being less reliable and spare parts costing a small fortune.
I've had an early RSV for four and a half years, 112hp at the wheel, people always went on about how they made loads more but never did another pull away from me at any time, the early Tuono is similar power, a good storm will put out 105 at the wheel, only 7bhp. I also had an 08 Tuono factory, that was definitely faster and a good engine, it's just that it only ever wanted to go flat out, if your not in the mood for that then they are a bit of a pain, spares back up is crap, they always say it's better now but it's not. I like Aprilia's but won't have another as the back up is crap and even faults from new don't get fixed. misting up clocks, lights, runs in the paint, cracked headlight, I'm not alone here plenty of faults and then there's the Brown connector on gen 2 bikes :roll:
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

You mean this piece of crap!! It was on the Gen 1 bikes and also the Falco.

The silver tape on there is from the previous owner following the questionable instructions doing the rounds as the "wiring mod". That is the wrong way to do it.

This is the right way ....

Al.
simo

Post by simo »

Thanks,I 'll pass on your sound advise. :thumbup:
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Oberon slave works really well. Have one on my bike (fitted by previous owner) so I have never suffered with the clutch issue so it must work well. You've got my number watty if you wanna chat aprilia :evil:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

A CB1000r there very very nice :lol: ( not the green one though)i prefer it to the FZ1 but not as quick and the Z1000 is ugly.Monsters great but expensive to service.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Ckennedy wrote:Mines doing fine as she is thank you Al :wink: 12 years young and still going strong :)
have you not given your bike some plastic surgery then CK?
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Watty, I think as already been said, a good long test ride on a Tuono is what you need first. Obviously the attraction of something new (to you) is going to weigh in favour of changing the Storm, but it may not be the best option. Only you can say for sure what you'll be happy with.

It'll be interesting to see which way you go, flat bar conversion or another bike.

Good luck with whatever you decide,

Chris.
darkember

Post by darkember »

Well if your really feeling old time for the cruiser :lol: :lol:
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

agentpineapple wrote:
Ckennedy wrote:Mines doing fine as she is thank you Al :wink: 12 years young and still going strong :)
have you not given your bike some plastic surgery then CK?
Plastic and carbon :lol: but the old fairings were still good enough. Just fancied a change as I always wanted a mille and at the price of the tuono I couldn't say no to wait for a rsv mille. Besides there's no mille out there with the same gold frame as mine :)

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

The Tuono is a great bike.

This one,

And now this beast!

Bloody things are brutal and make you feel lacking due to the power, both bikes are very focused and if you get it right they are extremely rewarding. They are hard to thrash and if you do you are risking going to jail.

The service, backup is dodgy at best, although there is a Company in the States that offer great service for parts called AF1.

Parts are expensive too.

Suspension is hard to dial in for me on the Ape.

Every time I ride the thing I go faster. Been hauled up a few times.

The Storm is more fun for me as it can be and is thrashed a lot. For me the Storm feels less busy underneath you and I am always surprised at how relaxed it feels compared to the Tuono.

Comfort on either bike is not an issue for me.

I guess to sum it up I have to be very focused and work harder to get the best out of the Tuono. If I was younger with quicker reflexes I guess the Tuono would be my favourite.

we have a saying here in OZ, "Many a good tune is played on an old fiddle" and that sums it up for me.

By the way, this is the bike that lead me to the Storm

I wanted more power!

Here is the Storm after 3 years(The longest I have ever kept a bike)

If I could only have one bike in the shed I know what it would be!

Good luck with your choice!
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Thats storms a peach. I had an aprilia shiver for a bit. Great bike but the dash failed on me and i lost faith. Bought a z750 and thoroughly regretted buying that. Buzz buzz bloody buzz. and totally crap suspension.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Watty

Post by Watty »

darkember wrote:Well if your really feeling old time for the cruiser :lol: :lol:
I'd rather put my balls in a vice 8O
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Watty

Post by Watty »

Right! Interesting info guys! Not liking the sound of Tuono, unreliability, poor back up, expensive parts and only happy when thrashed! :? Looking like flat bars are winning :lol: .Like has been said several times the Storm is a great all rounder, and as popkat says it does seem to do more, more of the time than most other stuff :D Probably another one of my wild ideas :crazy: Thanks for the advice and experiences men :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
darkember

Post by darkember »

Watty wrote:Right! Interesting info guys! Not liking the sound of Tuono, unreliability, poor back up, expensive parts and only happy when thrashed! :? Looking like flat bars are winning :lol: .Like has been said several times the Storm is a great all rounder, and as popkat says it does seem to do more, more of the time than most other stuff :D Probably another one of my wild ideas :crazy: Thanks for the advice and experiences men :thumbup:
Good to hear you won't regret that decision. :thumbup:
chric

Post by chric »

Like the look of Italian bikes.
but would never buy one had a few all cack and unreliable
scooters and 125s
Ill never be a sell out storm forever