what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
agentpineapple

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by agentpineapple »

I hope you get it running right tony. a lot of efforts gone into that bike.
and as for rear suspension linkages, nice one wicky, every 15k it is then.... :thumbup:
had a little tinker with me yellow bike, a couple more ti bolts, clean up a few tatty oem bolts, I also refurbished another starter motor and i'm halfway thru cleaning an oem set of headers with alloy acid cleaner, takes the old skin of your hands as well.... :lol:
I've got a few jobs that need to be done before devon, service/bleed front brakes/ stop rear cct from weeping/fit a usb charger, it never bloody ends... :roll:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
kev64

Post by kev64 »

Took the vee twin for its first seaside visit at Borth, west wales
Then as a special treat, thrashed the butt of it all the way home !
:thumbup:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I gave it a clean.....

But, what I want to do is get the front wheel out. The front brakes are a litle grabby but I only have front and read paddock stands and no rafters (or pool steps) to sling the front off the ground.

Question: With a timber packer is it safe to put a jack under the sump?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

I have done it but you need to be carefull as it wobbles a bit, squeaky elbow time if I'm honest, but it is doable :thumbup:
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

KermitLeFrog wrote:I gave it a clean.....

But, what I want to do is get the front wheel out. The front brakes are a litle grabby but I only have front and read paddock stands and no rafters (or pool steps) to sling the front off the ground.

Loosen/crack the axle bolt, the pinch bolts & the calliper mount bolts first before you lift it !

If you can use a couple of ratchet straps one each side, out side ways to anchor the bike left & right...

What type of jack is it ? Trolly, bottle or scissor ? Either way use your rear padock stand then jack it up.

Then again if your only pulling the calipers why lift the front ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

MacV2 wrote:Loosen/crack the axle bolt, the pinch bolts & the calliper mount bolts first before you lift it !

If you can use a couple of ratchet straps one each side, out side ways to anchor the bike left & right...

What type of jack is it ? Trolly, bottle or scissor ? Either way use your rear padock stand then jack it up.

Then again if your only pulling the calipers why lift the front ?
Good advice and good point! I can do everything I need just by pulling the calipers (Doh..). I suspect the discs aren't floating as well as they should. Either that or they are a little warped.

Kind regards
Ian

ps. In slightly less than 2 months I've managed to put over 1000 miles on it. Not much compared to many but more than some. Having not been on a proper road bike for about 20 years it's been great fun. I can't remember now why I bought a VTR instead of anything else. It was a spur of the moment thing but I think I've been very lucky in my choice.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Kermit Le Frog wrote:
...I suspect the discs aren't floating as well as they should....
Have a look at this video Carl posted up: (it's from YouTube). http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... ns#p360902

It shows how to easily free up the round "bobbins" in yer front discs, and make them "float" again!

If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I've had my bike up on bricks and timber before, no real issues, just be careful if your using force on something, as it can wobble.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Re packed the viper cans and fitted the baffles in hope to get the DBs down below 102 .
I tested it and it put out 100 , so to be on the safe side I used some old packing around the flange he he he flange he he , of the baffle and refitted it , wohoo 98db ,
I will give it a good spanking to work tomorrow and test it again :-)
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

The new vacuum slides and carb isolator should be here this week.....will finally will get this new damn exhaust dialed in...... :lol:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
stealthbomber

Post by stealthbomber »

Gave her a quick spray with mr sheen, lubed the chain with the assistance of the wife, placed a nice little moriwaki sticker on the hugger and wrote up a list of bits I need to get for a service although I did find a k&n oil filter that I'd stashed up, result! Oh and won the WP shock that was on ebay!
In the land of ham fisted, I am king
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

agentpineapple wrote:

I've had my bike up on bricks and timber before, no real issues, just be careful if your using force on something, as it can wobble.
You can lash it sideways to something solid either side to stop it wobbling off the sump stand.
Tree, gate, car, anything will do, just to stop it slipping sideways off the stand and packer.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:
Kermit Le Frog wrote:
Have a look at this video Carl posted up: (it's from YouTube). http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... ns#p360902

It shows how to easily free up the round "bobbins" in yer front discs, and make them "float" again!

Yup, looks easy doesn't it? Mine are solid. I've got WD40 soaking into one of them and will try again later...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

KermitLeFrog wrote:
TheGingerBeardMan wrote:
Kermit Le Frog wrote:

Yup, looks easy doesn't it? Mine are solid. I've got WD40 soaking into one of them and will try again later...
Make sure you give that a mighty clean up with break cleaner when done...WD40 + brakes not the best idea in the world... :lol:
Last edited by MacV2 on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Oh, I will. Don't worry!