Regulator power drain

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Pistonguy

Re: Regulator power drain

Post by Pistonguy »

I have continuity from the red wire to only the bottom left pin on the fused starter block connector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pistonguy

Post by Pistonguy »

Everything is testing as it should, everything is grounded, and the regulator gets so hot you cant even touch it after about 1 min at idle. Im starting to lose it over here...

Pistonguy

Post by Pistonguy »

Im starting to think since i am not seeing higher than 12.8 v at battery during fast idle, and that i am getting upwards of 50v ac from the stator at 5k rpm that this ebay regulator is just sh1t. Maybe thats why its shunting so much and not providing the right charge. Ill order a new one from a reputable dealer and try that. Really starting to lose my patience and ready to slap a for sale sign on this....

templ8

Post by templ8 »

My reg does get hot but not so hot it'll burn your hand, even after a run.
Does sound like a poorly reg

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
Pistonguy

Post by Pistonguy »

I got another one due here in a few days, just went for a short ride, and battery is still at 12.7v after but reg still super hot. I am hoping the reg is just sh1t and i can resume riding!

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Really starting to lose my patience and ready to slap a for sale sign on this....
Don't loose it juts yet. Sort the little niggles out and you will have a superb bike. Please make sure you battery is good too as a dodgy R/R can kill a good battery and vica verca. Don't get caught up in a vicious circle.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Pistonguy

Post by Pistonguy »

Battery is recently new, new regulator came in today. Has proper charging volts at idle (14.2-5 at battery terminals) but still gets very hot after a very short time. Both combos of grounds ( straight to frame/through reg nut) and still the same. So i guess it is still shunting a large amount to the frame. Stator overcharging? What am i missing??

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You could check by doing the later tests n the following:
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=28771

If everything checks to be OK then I would not worry about it. Non-Mosfet R/R's do get hot to the touch...very hot at times. Especially the smaller finned type unlike the old R1 R/R's. You may also want to take the earth directly from the battery too as this may make a difference.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Pistonguy wrote:Battery is recently new, new regulator came in today. Has proper charging volts at idle (14.2-5 at battery terminals) but still gets very hot after a very short time. Both combos of grounds ( straight to frame/through reg nut) and still the same. So i guess it is still shunting a large amount to the frame. Stator overcharging? What am i missing??

Switch your lights on and increase the draw from the R/R so that it is shunting less!
Pistonguy

Post by Pistonguy »

Yeah i have been running the brights, an it IS a OEM style black rubber box one. I think i will just ride and see how long it lasts. After reading up on it i am confident i can do the mosfet swap, so when this one burns out ill upgrade! At least the bike charges and isnt leaving me stranded anymore lol

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Like this?

If so junk it ASAP and fit a MOSFET before it does leave you stranded and with damage not just to the battery but to other costly electronic components, or even setting fire to the bike :eek2
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Pistonguy

Post by Pistonguy »

Yes like that, but the stock one was also like that... And lasted 11000 miles. It gets very hot, so within two weeks ill probably spring for the zx6 mosfet. I think it will be easier to wire with the wires attached.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Just splice this Triumph mosfet plug adapter into your VTR's wiring when you get your FH marked R/R

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 82#p351482

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Pistonguy

Post by Pistonguy »

Oooh. Which model is that?

Pistonguy

Post by Pistonguy »

This looks like its getting easier and easier lol