Yet another new Derby Stormer.

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
speednut

Yet another new Derby Stormer.

Post by speednut »

Hi All.
Just joined the forum, after finding much good advice over the last few months, sorry it's taken so long to make it official.

Got a black T reg storm, which i've streetfightered over winter and has been accepted into the bike show at Rock and Bike Fest at Carnfield hall in Alfreton in a few days. Really looking forward to showing it off.

One of the big reasons I did it was the old lack of feeling in my wrists after a 5 mile ride.....the other being I think it looks awesome, especially with the side radiators that i've made a feature of. I know lots of people will probably shout at me for changing it's looks, but each to their own and all that. Been modifying cars for as long as I can remember, but I definitely have a newfound respect for bike builders - much more difficult to get everything balanced and working together. Nearly there though.

Hope to speak to you all soon.

Cheers,
Speednut
macdee

Re: Yet another new Derby Stormer.

Post by macdee »

hello and welcome
stick some pic's up
told you not to but oh no you knew better
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

This sounds interesting, look forward to seeing all your hardwork :D

Oops I nearly forgot, welcome aboard :thumbup:

Good luck with the bike show,

Chris.
speednut

Post by speednut »

Thanks Macdee.
Here you go, hope this works.
:)
speednut

Post by speednut »

Thanks Chris, hope you like it? :D
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

marmite :eek2 :D
speednut

Post by speednut »

Indeed. Most comments have so far been on the positive side when people have seen it in the flesh, but as I said each to their own.
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Interesting. That's fer sure. I like the red crescents. Black and red is always a favourite combination.

Now, having built custom bikes from scratch in the past (mainly Harleys), you'll know yourself that the eyes are drawn to the attention to detail, and the overall layout. (not that I want to see a photo of yer overalls laid out!!!)

2 things that I personally notice straight away that "upsets" the flow and balance of the bike (and it's just an observation, and no offence meant!). The whole bike is finished in a nice matt/carbon effect (thumbs up for that)......but then we have a gloss black standard tank. That makes it look like it ain't finished as yet (maybe it isn't, and yer gonna do the tank. If so, I apologise).

2nd little detail were the front indictors are too far back. I'd have them brought forward and mounted halfway between the bottom yoke and the bikini fairing bracket.

If yer brave enough to matt the tank as well, then it would make the bike blend as one from front to back and not have the eyes stop in the middle.

Apart from those 2 piddly things, I quite like. (Oh yeah....and remove the reservoir muffs for the show! I've heard feedback up here at big shows (ingleston in Edinburgh, MASSIVE Scottish bike show), and to quote them: "terry toweling" should ONLY be worn on yer feet, and not on yer bike".

But, heck - as you said, it's NOT any of ours, and it's YOUR pride n' joy.

At the end of the day: "Ride what you like.....and like what you ride....and stuff everyone else".

Dave. :thumbup: :Beer1:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
TheGingerBeardMan

PS: I have the single outlet, oval Blue Flame Evo cans. SUPERB deep note.....but I WANT those twin outlet gradual tint cans! No, hang on....I NEED those.

They're so... :erection:

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome to the club and well done on making your bike individual. Not to my tastes but what the hell do I know.

Not sure that the radiator covers will help the airflow, so keep an eye on the temp gauge in town
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Nice work :thumbup:
speednut

Post by speednut »

Hey Gingerbeardman.

Thanks for your comments. The tank had divided opinion. I've carbon wrapped the parts that you mention and had intended to do the tank, but a couple of people said they'd leave it, so I was undecided. The socks [decided not to go with sandles in the end] are a temporary measure due to the brake resevoir being repaird at some point before I had it. I'm intending to go with billet tanks eventually, so they're not there forever. Indicators were originally for convenience, but I quite like them now, we'll see...

The cans sound frickin' awesome, especially with the 2nd outlet covers removed! I like symmetry too, so the twin cans were the only choice for me.

AMCQ46, these are the 2nd covers i've made. The first ones did just that, they got too hot, so the new ones are further away from the radiators to aid air flow.

...and thank you Lloydie. :)

Thanks all for your comments and the warm welcome. :thumbup:
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

welcome to the asylum.Bike looks good but would look better with matt black twin dominator headlights.Just an opinion but you pay your money and take your chance enjoy it whatever you do.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
TheGingerBeardMan

speednut wrote:The tank has divided opinion.......The socks [decided not to go with sandles in the end] are temporary. Indicators were originally for convenience
The tank would definitely finish the bikes continuous flow from front to back if it was wrapped the same. Grab pen and paper, and take score of who says keep it, and who say wrap it! I reckon it will be in favour of matching it.

Don't ask family or the general public tho! Family will just say stuff to please you ("whatever you think is best, we'll like...") and the public, who have no clue, will always opt for shiny paintwork on a bike. They can't appreciate what people have physically worked on. A bike, is a bike, is a bike to them. This was proved a few times when a proper custom built bike was entered by me into a show, and the public was left to choose the winner. A badly disabled woman from the charity we were showing at was picked to select a winner. She chose a bog standard Yamaha XV1100 Virago as "best in show", cos she liked the deep blue paint and the chrome. FFS! - I gave up faith in having the publics opinions regarding bike modifying.

The indicators being moved to the front was more for safety reasons. If yer at a junction the way they are, the indicators are almost hallway / middle of the bike (not quite, but almost)

Moving them between the fairing bracket and lower yolk won't change the look of them, and they'll still be nice and trim, fitting with the rest of the bike. But, they will be seen faster at the front end than in the middle. It'll also cut down on the glare you'll get if travelling at night (yer heads almost in line with the indicators, and if they flash, it'll become a pain in the butt - especially if wet and the visors down - bringing them forward cuts that down a bit)

But that was it as far as comments go for it! One aesthetic and one safety. :thumbup: As for yer cans. yes, they'll sound mega....but they'll sound even better on MY bike. Once you've finished wrapping them up carefully and making sure they don't move in the box, I'll send my address so you can post them up. Street-fighters are meant to have stupid silly cans on the end, cut short with all show and no go......not nice Blueflames doubles like wot you've got fitted. Erm...No, no - you got it all wrong!! I've changed my mind! Erm....those cans suck! *coughs.....Remove them! .... :think: :twisted: :lol:

Glad you didn't opt for the sandals, nowt worse than seeing folk wearing sandals AND socks. Especially when yer riding a bloody street-fighter. :lol:

speednut

Post by speednut »

GingerBeardMan, the cans are staying exactly where they are, plus they'd look ridiculous in a box and they'd probably catch fire! Cherrybombs are where it's at, surely? :twisted:

As for the indicators, I get where you're coming from. It was my first idea and may be subject to change. I think i'd got pee'd off at the time after moving the headlight wiring about 5 times - kept fouling the headlight unit when I moved the bars left and right. In the end I managed to get all of the wiring under the tank by modifying the airbox.

I think I will be wrapping the tank (i've got a load of carbon wrap to use up), but can't see it getting done before the show now. :(