what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
Wicky

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by Wicky »

All back to together again after servicing the linkage bearings and shock rebuild and service, so a nice shakedown bimble though the twisties to sunny Maldon for lunch.

Just need to alter the angle of the gear lever - and still to swap over rear subframe at a later date.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
kev64

Post by kev64 »

So I got a headlight off ebay, lens ok, but dirty on the inside and reflector cracked :x
I had to split the cases, nightmare , old sealant made the job well tough.
So I bodged that back together
Then I decided to mess with the carbs and lost a circlip off the dyno needle and a carb slider vacuum cap bolt has worryingly gone missing :silent:
Put it all back together, cant be bothered to fire it up
nightmare, not happy , need a drink :thumbdown:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I collected it!!!!!

400 mile round trip to Edinburgh to get a twin(not a pun) for my first metallic blue storm.

This one had a cct failure, guy then fitted the manuals he had bought !!!! I suspect the valves are bent and stuck open so no compression on that pot.

Otherwise needs a good tidy and with on 21k miles could be a good one.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

It came fitted with aftermarket cans plus originals, spare swingarm, spare shock and a carbon look belly pan - bugger i bought one last night on ebay !!!!
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

kev64 wrote:lost a circlip off the dyno needle and a carb slider vacuum cap bolt has worryingly gone missing...put it back together...cant be bothered to fire it up
Not good when things don't go according to plan. :( It can be really frustrating. But, do you really want to fire it up if there's a circlip missing from the carb area, AND a vacuum bolt? :eek2 8O

If so, yer a braver man than I Gunga Din! - Unless yer 100% sure the clip and bolt rattled down the side of the bike :?: :think: If not, then you may have to pull the carbs and check in there, just in case.

It's Friday night. Have a few jars of the electric soup tonight, and have another look with fresh eyes tomorrow! Fingers crossed you find them. :thumbup:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
kev64

Post by kev64 »

The carbs were off, but upside down (cables attached, too lazy to remove)
couldn't see anything, just gonna hope for the best :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Magnet on a stick is your friend here.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Fitted some new front pads, EBC HH and changed brake fluid, got to do some miles now to bed them in before next weekend.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

What was done today?

Started fitting the stainless bolt kit. Got the generator casing and sprocket cover done no problem. (Had to remove the fairing bolts, and plastic screw under beside the radiator, to be able to move the fairing up out the way so I could get a couple of awkward bolts swapped). The water pump case bolts were a b1itch to remove. Actually broke an 8mm decent socket on them (into 3 separate cracks). Not happy with that, but it's got a lifetime warranty and will get replaced the next time the van is in town. The water pump bolts came out the worst condition, and pretty rusty. :(

Flushed all bolt holes out with ACF-50, to try kill any future corrosion, and lathered each stainless fitting with proper Copa Slip. Fitted all case fittings with washers too. Did the starter motor bolts (but didn't tackle the actual starter motor rusty nut. That's a "round-to-it" job). Was impressed at the difference made to the calipers, after removing the 8 x E12 Torx and replacing with shiny stainless allen heads. Nice. The Pro Bolt polished axle nut also looks the dogs danglies too! :thumbup:

As the stainless now shows up the other bolts (i.e. the brake disc domed bolts), I'm gonna replace them too at some point. But, I noticed that 2 of them now have rounded off internals, and reckon they'll now be fun and games to try removing them.

Even just replacing the handlebar control bolts (throttle, brake and clutch) dresses the top half nice. Not sure about the stainless cap heads in exchange for the front tank bolts though...may swap them back, as the face of the allen cap is now open to collecting water. Whereas the old bolts were fine.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All in all, it's been an expensive few weeks. What with me tyres, oil and filter change, plugs, air filter, stainless bolts, tank swap, wheel bearings and brake pads. It's come to just under £600. Loose change for some folk on here, but a mortgage as far as I'm concerned.

With her looking pretty reasonable now, it's no wonder why I'm tempted to jump on it and sneak the odd ride out on it. Still haven't heard back from the DVLA, but by the time they get their ass sorted out, the snow will be here. And there's too many dry sunny days happening that are calling me out onto the road.

It's a drug I tell ya! If I get stopped and up before the Judge, that's what I'll tell him. It's an addiction yer Honor. An actual drug. Scientifically proven to pump you full of endorphins and adrenaline rushes, rapid heart beats, sweating and a good physical workout. The buzz you get when you stop for the day and park it up. Yer STILL buzzing half an hour later, and sometimes, if riding hard, you're also physically drained.

To me, motorcycling is the motoring version of taking Heroin.

"Hello. My name's Dave, and I have a problem...."
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
kev64

Post by kev64 »

Fired the bike up after yesterdays crapness, all seams good
went for a quick 20 miler went well
now fitted : standard carbs, 1x washer both needles
11/4 turns front and back,needs more adjustment but ok for now.
Seems to run a bit smoother compared to my previous dyno jet set up
The only other thing different from standard is the incredible Bernie morgan
air box mod :lol:
Gave the bike a quick wash (along with the car)
:thumbup:
Shortly going for some beer and watching the test match
:beer:
Virt

Post by Virt »

First service was done this morning by the dealership.. So been doing a bit of riding between then and now, having just got home.. It's bloody quick above 6k rpm, is all I'm saying :lol: :D :shh:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

washed it, lubed the chain and fitted my camera mount onto the mirror clamp. Ive fitted extenders and it fits a treat. Test run for the camera tomorrow.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

Fitted a complete set of Wezmoto hoses. Well impressed with the quality and price, difference in braking from standard hoses is night and day!

Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Fitted some stomp grips to the bird :-) thanks ck :thumbup: .
Next up wash wax and lube ready for Devon
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Replaced the clutch and gear lever, the K&N filter, started up Harley, now for the handlebar rubber tomorrow.
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

lloydie wrote:Fitted some stomp grips to the bird :-) thanks ck :thumbup: .
Next up wash wax and lube ready for Devon
No worries :thumbup:

Today lloyd helped with some work on my two bikes. Cost me a bbq dinner though :lol:

Got the satnav mounted to the bird just need to wire it up for Devon.

Also bled through the front brakes as they weren't quite right.

Got new clip ons fitted to the mille and got all the controls fitted.

Found out that luckily it's just my pads binding on the front wheel which has means the front isn't spinning quite as freely as it should but least it's not bent forks from the crash :)

Good little bit of work, good bbq, good company and good cheesecake

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk