Genuine honda regulator.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
popkat

Re: Genuine honda regulator.

Post by popkat »

Reg/rec test from electrex world, take note of the last line.... I'd say to be sure try a known good reg/rec
-
Simple Meter Test for RR (Regulator Rectifier Unit)

Disconnect the RR from the bike. Select DIODE test range on the meter. This causes the meter to push out typically
1mA of test current, the display shows the resulting voltage across the test piece. When no test piece is connected the
meter output voltage goes higher than about 2 volts so the meter displays “over range”.
Connect the RED meter clip to the BLACK RR wire, and use the BLACK meter probe to test in turn each of the
YELLOW wires on the RR. The meter should read between 0V350 and 0V550 for each of the 3 measurements.
Connect the BLACK meter clip to the RED RR wire, and use the RED meter probe to test in turn each of the YELLOW
wires on the RR. The meter should read between 0V350 and 0V550
for each of the 3 measurements

Any readings higher than 0V550 indicate an open circuit or bad joint within the RR.

Any readings lower than 0V350 indicate a short circuited rectifier or thyristor within the RR.

Although this simple test can never prove an RR is good, it can often show that an RR is defective.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

I will try that thanks. my issue is under charging. while out the other day rev counter stopped working and then speedo. I have a digital voltmeter fitted an it was reading 9.5v, I was only a few miles from home and by the time I got home it was down to 8v turned ignition off, it went to 10v and as I thought would not start again.
http://lincsrideouts.co.uk

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721
popkat

Post by popkat »

I have a storm in my workshop that is undercharging, it's getting a new reg/rec, I know that most commonly if it's undercharging it's the generator but this one I know it's RR as I swapped mine onto it and it charged fine. as said in previous post you can test for a bad RR but that also doesn't mean it's good.
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

Which r/r are you fitting?

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Diabolus wrote:Which r/r are you fitting?
A genuine late model Honda R/R. I know this as I posted it to him yesterday.

As it happens it's off Nue Red Malc's old bike...Spare as I fitted a Mosfet to Nue Red...

The Mosfet I fitted to mine is from a BMW S1000R...Big fecker but works a treat & fits fine with a bit of component re-alignment...had to move the flasher relay...Fits both F & F2 as I fitted one to Smokin Joe as well.

Mosfet its the way to go... :thumbup:

Mosfet is the new must have ... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
popkat

Post by popkat »

Yes standard later type, i have a new one on the way but won't be here for the weekend so Mac has lent me one. I'm going to wire the earth direct to the battery for a more direct connection..
Question.. The green earth wire that bolts on with the RR, is this the main earth for the unit that just loops in and back out of the loom ?, if it is that makes it easy, I can find out by cutting the tape back but if someone knows then i don't need to..
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

popkat wrote:Yes standard later type, i have a new one on the way but won't be here for the weekend so Mac has lent me one. I'm going to wire the earth direct to the battery for a more direct connection..
Question.. The green earth wire that bolts on with the RR, is this the main earth for the unit that just loops in and back out of the loom ?, if it is that makes it easy, I can find out by cutting the tape back but if someone knows then i don't need to..
Yeah the one that bolts on to the sumframe behind the R/R...F2 dont have that strangely... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

After going over everything with a multi meter the stator was fine, unfortunately the zx10 r/r puts out 18.5v so that's no good, so I tried the r/r off my gsxr 600 track bike and it works ,just quite large to fit.

Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

I will get a mosfet type a.s.a.p :beer:

popkat

Post by popkat »

I fitted that RR today and the green wire with the loop goes a fair way back in the loom so I left that alone and trimmed about 3/4" insulation from the earth wire direct from the RR, got a piece of similar gauge wire and soldered it to the green wire then took it direct to battery, only had the crap lead free solder so not the best job but it's still earthed regardless as not cut the main wire.. voltage is now 14.85 at tickover dropping to 14.7 when revved a bit, with lights on it's 14.7 at tickover dropping to 14.4 with some revs, this is a higher output than before the direct earth. just about spot on for charging if riding with the lights on.
bald_pig

Post by bald_pig »

Wicky wrote:Recent Facebook VTR group R/R failure...

Hi Wicky! :beer:
kev64

Post by kev64 »

Get a mossfet, as advised, there are plenty that will fit, think my serial number was FH010
I Had no problems since and it stays nice and cool (it is bigger but will fit)
You just need to keep looking on ebay, if you go second hand
they still last and can be picked up for as little as 20 quid!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

bald_pig wrote:

snip
Hi - I thought yours cooked itself earlier in May - it hasn't gone again?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
bald_pig

Post by bald_pig »

Wicky wrote:
bald_pig wrote:

snip
Hi - I thought yours cooked itself earlier in May - it hasn't gone again?
I had one go, bought a cheap replacement while I waited for my paycheck, didn't quite go to plan lol. Looks like I may have cocked up the earth connection putting it back together :shh:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It wasn''t a cheapy ebay Chinese pattern R/R by any chance...

Look like November the 5th cooked off under your elbow!

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts