Standard Suspension Settings

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
adstar

Standard Suspension Settings

Post by adstar »

Hey,

Does anyone have a std manual or something they could look up the standard/normal/factory suspension settings.

Need a good starting place to start tweaking from...

Thanks,

Adam
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

I'll dig them out and post the for you.

i have also got the performance bike recomended setting that I'l post
baz

Post by baz »

Right here goes!! Front preload: Fourth groove from the top aligns with top surface of the fork caps. Front rebound: 1. Turn the damping adjuster clockwise until it will no longer turn. The adjuster is turned counterclockwise approximately 1 turn.
Rear rebound: Turn the damping adjuster screw clockwise until it will no longer turn and turn back approx 1 turn so that the two dots align. Rear preload: the standard position is hard to describe without a diagram but if you turned the adjuster fully clockwise and then turned it 1 notch back that is the standard setting. This is taken from the original owners manual and thats what mine is set at. Hope this helps
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Standard settings

Rear shock
Pre load (spring) position 2 of 7
Rebound 1 turn out (anti clockwise) from full in.

Front forks
Preload 4th groove from the top, level with the fork leg
Rebound 1 turn out (anti clockwise) from full in

Performance bike Road/Track settings

Rear shock
Preload position 2 (track position 3)
Rebound 1/4 turn out from full in

Front Forks
Preload groove 2 (track - max)
Rebound 1/4 turn out from full in

I used the PB settings on my old storm. I found the front pre load a bit hard and eased it off to show 2 1/2 grooves.

I have just put these settings on the new storm.

Moving from standard settings to performance bike settings I did notice an improvement in the bike's handling when pushed hard on the road.

As recommended on here before, getting the forks "Rogered" is a great idea if you have the money.

Paul
adstar

Post by adstar »

thanks guys! :D
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Kaz,

If your forks have been done (fingers crossed) then the above settings are meaningless for you

Below is Rogers 'how to' steps for setting up the suspension on the VTR
The good thing with this it is the same instructions for modified or standard suspension

It looks daunting at first but its actually very simple
1) Set forks with 5mm more pull through the top yoke than standard ie lower the bike down the fork legs by 5mm (MAX 7.5mm)
2) Set Rebound fully off (screw all way out)
3) Set Preload fully off (all way out)
4) Raise front of bike off the ground and measure from fork seal to underside of bottom yoke. (This is Full Travel) = A
THIS CAN BE DONE BY TILTING THE BIKE OVER ON THE SIDESTAND
5) Return bike to floor
6) Push down firmly and allow to return steadily (do not bounce) - measure = B
7) Lift up with clip-ons (keep wheel on the ground) and allow to settle down (not crash down) - measure = C
8 ) Measurement B+C divided by 2 = D
9) Measurement A minus D = 28mm - 30mm
10) Wind pre-load in until this figure is achieved, keep repeating 6 to 9 until it is correct.
11) Set rebound to "fastest possible return, but under control” (screw fully in & than back out probably ¾ to 1¼ turns out)
Rear Sag
It is important that the rear sag is 8mm. Measure from underside of rear subframe to wheel spindle
1) Take all the rebound off
2) Push firmly down on seat and allow to return. (Do not bounce) -- Measure
3) Hold rear subframe and lift to "top out" the shock -- Measure. This should be + 8mm greater than measurement 1)
4) Adjust until it is.
5) Set rebound to "fastest possible return, but under control"
THE 8mm WILL NOT BE POSSIBLE IF YOU ARE RUNNING STANDARD SHOCK. FOR YOUR WEIGHT PLEASE SET STANDARD SHOCK ON LEVEL 1. LEVEL 2 FOR TRACK DAYS
stu9000

settings

Post by stu9000 »

When I got my bike from its one previous owner it was in great condition but he had the suspension wound so tight it fired my ass through my spine.
And my street has about 15 speed humps.

Took it back to standard and the bike rode much better.

All I can think of is he was trying to get the bike to turn in better. My VTR can feel a bit vague, especially when the tires on the way out.

I figure the guys at Honda know what theyre doing.

If I had the money Id get the forks done though. Bet that would help.
red is the fastest colour;)