darkember

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by darkember »

Fitted fender extender and coked my headers :lol: :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

tony.mon wrote:
Pete.L wrote:What about the oil leak Tony?
What did that turn out to be?

Pete.l
As I suspected, I'd left an o ring off the speedo sensor.

I rode it to work today, nice journey in but it went onto front cylinder only about five miles from home, and cut out the second cylinder two hundred yards from home, coasted onto the drive.....result.
A fuse blew powering the fuel pump, they apparently draw more than two amps.
Fixed that, let's see how far I get.....
Not far, as it turns out, not even off the drive this am.
Fuel tap problem, it's not compatible with a fuel pump so I've had to bodge a temporary get me to Wales fix.
Running fine into work, let's see if it will keep going to Wales this evening.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

tony.mon wrote:
tony.mon wrote:

Pete.l

I rode it to work today, nice journey in but it went onto front cylinder only about five miles from home, and cut out the second cylinder two hundred yards from home, coasted onto the drive.....result.
Fuel tap problem, it's not compatible with a fuel pump so I've had to bodge a temporary get me to Wales fix.
You not sorted that out yet.
lloydie

what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by lloydie »

tony.mon wrote:
tony.mon wrote:

Pete.l

When running a pump you need to split the diaphragm in the fuel tap and block the vac pipe both at the engine and on the tap .
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

had another look at my rear tyre this evening, I've been getting more and more heavy handed with the throttle, easy to do on my local roads. CK did tell me I was leaving the odd black line on the tarmac exiting corners :think:
last year in the uk the same make/model of tyre lasted 3500 miles.
this year about 2500 miles and i'm already past the centre wear markers.... :(
i'm always checking my tyre pressures and I've kept them at the same pressures for the last few years. I will admit to gaining some weight... :oops: but not enough to make a difference to tyre wear, so i'll have to either not be so aggressive with the throttle, lose weight and/or go for a longer lasting tyre, a PR 2/3/4 or a M7RR.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Time for a harder tyre me thinks Marty . Those tyres grip well but don't last long on a big twin lugging a ton around .
Think I only got 2k from a rear when I had a set fitted
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Rode it again today for about 112 miles or a tankful, as its not much better on fuel that the Storm really, it is a tad better, and for me obviously far more comfy. I then washed it and did the chain, and noticed i too will need a new tyre soon. I may stick with a Bridgestone as the front still ok,ish and the rear does seem to be first class and has given me nothing but confidence. I like it a bit "Squirreilly" off cats eyes and some wet bits etc, i don't miss the lock ups when changing down that i got with the Storm etc. All in all still loving it and hoping for a bit more dry weather this month.

I did get to ride in the dark the other night on the way back from a ride and the headlights amazing.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
wall.j

Post by wall.j »

I've fitted a Scottoiler to keep my new chain and sprocket in a tip top condition, and fitted the original bars as the ones put on by the previous owner are an MOT failure according to my mechanic.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

wall.j wrote:I've fitted a Scottoiler to keep my new chain and sprocket in a tip top condition, and fitted the original bars as the ones put on by the previous owner are an MOT failure according to my mechanic.
EH ? What bars were they & why would they fail the MOT ? Trapping fingers on full lock is the only reason I can think of...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
wall.j

Post by wall.j »

They touched the tank on full turn, and the brake fluid tank touched the screen slightly. Whoever fitted them, replaced all the casing bolts with pink aluminium bolts... I was advised to get these put back to stainless steel asap. He had a bit of a nightmare taking off the sprocket cover... All ordered!
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

agentpineapple wrote:or go for a longer lasting tyre, a PR 2/3/4 or a M7RR
On M7, I have 3.4 mm thread left after 5.4k km (3.4k mi), what is pretty good with level of grip given by these tires.

Anyway, they didn´t protect me from laying down on track last time, but it was likely only my fault :-)
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I have been riding my Superhawk/Fire Storm and that rattle in the clutch side has been bugging me. I got out my mechanics stethoscope out and started listening to the engine (while running of course) and the sound was more pronounced at the rear cylinder. Today I pulled the fairing, seat and tank and checked my rear cylinder valve clearances again (they were spot on). I checked the timing chain tension and put 3/4 of a turn on the manual adjuster to take a bit of the slack out. The verdict? It still clucks but I am not going to worry about it. If it blows up, oh well. I'll just build it again.

Last week I got the urge to consolidate and get down to two motorcycles in the shop. I put the VTR on Craigslist for $2800 (probably around 1400 in your money.) I got a call that evening from an excited guy that want to come right over. I got to thinking about it and if he was that excited 1) I had it priced too low and 2) I want to keep any bike that someone else wants really bad. I told him i was taking it off the market and that it was not for sale. I have taken it out twice since and I am glad i kept it.

My Superhawk on a chunk of Texas highway.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Good call Jim...After all thet work you put into it...far to cheap. If you want to give it away ship it to me... :wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Good that you kept it Jim as Mac said letting it go after all that hard work would be a shame .
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

as lloydie and mac said, that was way to cheap, a bike like that in the uk is worth between £2500 and £3000 depending on the mileage. glad to hear your keeping it mate... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!