Another twin, another Yam, different strokes......

General Bike chat
Mav617

Another twin, another Yam, different strokes......

Post by Mav617 »

So, having a yearning for the 80's when life was better (as was the music) I decided what the TRX needed to keep it company in the garage was a stroker. I grew up on Elsies, and having had a couple of 250LCs and then a TZR250, I never owned a 350LC or a YPVS (albeit the TZR had YPVS) So I bought this yesterday, an '84 RD350LC II - guy said it was a UK bike but it must be an import as it's slow as fook, obviously restricted so I'll have to replace the carbs, check the exhausts for washers and hope the ECU isn't neutered:

I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Kev L

Re: Another twin, another Yam, different strokes......

Post by Kev L »

looks a nice little project fella :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
popkat

Post by popkat »

Looks nice that :thumbup: N1 model ?..
could it be a problem with the power valves making it slow, either wear or seized or it's not uncommon that the cables have been connected the wrong way round.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Cheers Malc, thats a good place to start. I'll get the carbs off and see whether they are stamped 31-00 or otherwise. Look down the spannies and see if there are any washers lurking in there also,
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

nice choice, a man after my own heart :thumbup:

I still look at the old LC's on eBay and think I might get one, but I already have 4 bikes and am about to move house, so will wait till it all settles down before I take any action.
AMcQ
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Aye Al, I would have liked a "proper 350LC" in Candy Blue but good ones are pushing £4K and can't justify that. Was no fun riding a naked bike 70 miles on the M25 but great fun hooning around the country lanes.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

ahhhhh nice, spent the 80s jumping of yamaha strokers :clap: . as said check the pv cables,carbs and pipes for washers, i think a lot of the euro bikes came with washers in the down pipes and the airfilters need to be clean on them or they choke the engine to death...
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

fabiostar wrote:ahhhhh nice, spent the 80s jumping of yamaha strokers :clap: . as said check the pv cables,carbs and pipes for washers, i think a lot of the euro bikes came with washers in the down pipes and the airfilters need to be clean on them or they choke the engine to death...
A guy on the RDLC forum reckons it's a proper RD, not an RZ, based on frame/engine numbers, so the PV cables are first thing to look at. After that I'll get the blue tat off and try and find the proper clocks.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

nice looking bike. whats wrong with the clocks? . if after your checks its still not going as it should check the ecu on it. if you can get one from the F2 model. the one you want is of the bike with full fairing but with the same shape of pipes as yours not the bean can type.if that makes sense?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

WOW that's a beauty Mav 8) 8) Being ole skool that is right up my street, I grew up with two strokes around me, nice find :thumbup:

Chris.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

fabiostar wrote:nice looking bike. whats wrong with the clocks? . if after your checks its still not going as it should check the ecu on it. if you can get one from the F2 model. the one you want is of the bike with full fairing but with the same shape of pipes as yours not the bean can type.if that makes sense?
Its wearing the wrong ones, these are off a TZR250 I reckon, cooling gauge reads high. Will check the powervalves (I know the servo works as they run their cleaning cycle when switching the ignition on) and check the ECU too.

Cheers Chris, feels very light after the Storm and the TRX.