lazy starter

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
fabiostar

Re: lazy starter

Post by fabiostar »

Wicky wrote:So if you have a new fully charged battery and a known working starter then something isn't right between the two - time to check check the starter relay / power lead and that all connections between all are clean and tight.
i walked away from it. i then walked out to it and while leaning on the bike crying i hit the starter one last time. boom it started. and started again and then didnt.... it appears the main lead from the relay is pissing about :D . happy days.

can i just say sorry to it for calling it a yellow shite lol...

back in love again :D
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

was going to suggest you try a jump lead direct from battery +ve to the starter bolt end. then this will tell you that it is in the wires
AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

AMCQ46 wrote:was going to suggest you try a jump lead direct from battery +ve to the starter bolt end. then this will tell you that it is in the wires
and using this method the old starter can be tested as well
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

it seems lads like i have a wire mole in the feed between the relay and battery. one of those touch it and it stops working problems but at least thats all thank god..
the old starter is toast anyhow because the bolt at the front of it fell to bits it was that rusty :( .
We bit of a wiring check and its good to go :thumbup:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I may have both a lead & a stater relay in the box('es...) of bits...I will have to check but it will be tomorrow...

If I have & you want it, I could box & send tomorrow...just in case PM an addy tonight...I'm off to Wales on Fri so can get it done tomorrow or it'll have to wait till Monday...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

never before have i wanted to burn a bike so much :( ...new battery, relay and starter and cable to battery and FECK ALL.... it tries to turn the motor over then nothing. think of a bike with a flat battery thats how it sounds.jump leads didnt help. it will bump and run, i ran a full tank through it, stopped and the same crap..... the lead that runs from the relay hasnt been changed but can a lead that looks good cause it, i cut the end of it off, popped a new connector on and ......nothing...
it seems to be charging the battery fine when it was running. it has a tourtec rectifier in it and every single connection on the bike cleaned. took the dam loom of the bike even to make sure earths are good and i didnt miss any connections?
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

well the on going saga. fitted new starter, relay. battery cable, relay to starter cable...

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASTRARD IS STILL THE SAME, ITS NOW LYING ON ITS SIDE AFTER I KICKED IT OVER :Argue:
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

That's not good news. I feel your pain. Electrics are a worst nightmare. Some can be found and fixed in 20 mins. Other problems (like yours) are totally baffling and the producer of extended forehead veins (and now a sore foot from kicking it :lol: )

Does it run a CDI unit or other fancy black box? Does it have a plug for diagnostics?

I think it's time to break out the test meter, and do EVERY wire in the loom for continuity. :( Or, take the loom out of the bike, set fire to it and tell the customer it's shagged beyond repair. Or, ask him if he's insured, and then set fire to the whole machine. (erm, probably not a good idea! - Although tempting)) LOL! :lol:

You've done a hell-of-a-lot-of-work to this bike, and probably the bill is going to be more than buying another bike. Is there a cut off point where you say "bugger it...enough is enough"?

It's hard to say where to look now. Apart from the loom, as you've gone down all other routes. There may be a break in one of the hidden wires (or a wire hidden in the wrapped loom by the headstock etc). Have a look at the exit points in the frame for the loom - are they tight / scuffed / torn?

A wire may appear in good nick at either end, and cutting back connections will reveal good copper - but if the break is say, in the middle for some reason, then the only way to find it is with a meter. Waggling each individual wire is no use!

Leave it a few days and ask yerself what your plans on progression are. Giving up IS an option. Getting a fresh pair of eyes and hands on it is also another option.

Even Einstein got help when he got stuck on stuff! Best of luck.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Starter button/switch.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

im now bald as iv ripped my hair out. iv had the loom of and checked every wire i can find and as i said replaced everything i can.. at a total loss :(
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Sorry - I just noticed after re-reading a few posts prior, that you HAVE taken off the loom.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

A typical computer diagnostic procedure is to take out everything that is not absolutely essential. If it starts all well and good. You then start adding things back in until something stops it again. Sooooo.

Get another battery with 2 fat leads. Connect -tve to a good earth as close as possible to the starter. Turn ignition on (bike battery) then short the +tve from the other battery onto the starter motor connection. You have bypassed all the leads and relays and you have no load on the bike battery.

Does it turn over properly? Yes? That's good. If not it's the starter motor or the teeth on the flywheel.
Does it start? Yes? That's even better.
Now disconnect the lead from relay to starter motor and connect that directly to the outside battery. If it starts then that proves the starter motor and that lead.

Continue in the same vein until it dosn't start. That is where your problem lies....

Good luck.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Try shorting it at the relay and if it starts okay that will hint where the problem lays - Carl could be onto something with the starter switch/button (complete starter failure happened to mine many moons ago causing much head scratching but starter switch available for about £15 on fleabay)
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

il give that a go lads. strangest thing iv had on a bike, normally it works or dosent but this thing is trying to turn over. i think il stay away from it for a few days before i harm it with a hammer lol
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

saga still ongoing. ok.
iv tried all of the above and then some. im getting my mate stevies bike on sunday and swapping one bit at a time of anything to do with electric or starting and if that doesnt sort it. il assume its the idler gear/sprag and thats not a job im going to get involved with so il see what the future of the bike is after sunday :oops: . but cheers lads for the help. :thumbup: