Track day weapon

General Bike chat
templ8

Track day weapon

Post by templ8 »

The thought of doing track days has been on my mind for most of the year, it's something I'd fancied doing for a long time but couldn't face the possibility of throwing the Vtr down the tarmac, it's too nice a bike for that.

Anyway, I'd been looking for a track bike on ebay and the classifieds and couldn't make my mind up what to get on my limited budget.
Then out of the blue my dad says 'would you like my zxr750', too right I would, had my eyes on it for years. So after successfully hunting down a trailer I've been and collected it.

Here she is

1993 zxr750 L1 with 17,500 miles from new.

Unfortunately it's been sat in a damp garage unloved for 4 years, the petrol tank was very rusty and the tyres are well past it.

Spent the last 3 days working on it, drained the tank, old fuel looked like Irn Bru and had lots of rust in itImage.
Removed the tank and all the fittings, plugged the outlets and flushed with water, filled with 5 litres of brick and patio cleaner from toolstation and left it for 3 hours, moving position every 20 mins to get it well distributed. Rinsed out half a dozen times, dried with compressed air and coated with wd40.
Now looks like thisImage And no leaks either, result.

The bike came with a spare set of freshly powder coated wheels and michelin pilot power tyres, fitted new bearings and seals to them and swapped the discs over. Also fitted the new chain and sprockets that came with it.Image

Changed the oil and filter, the filter was stuck fast, crushed the end of it with my filter tool and it still wouldn't budge, resorted to hammering a screwdriver right through it.

Going to take it for a test ride later, see what else needs attention before the track day I've booked on October 14th at Oulton Park.

Long term I'm probably going to get a nitron shock, weight matched front springs and race fairings, but we'll see how we get on at Oulton first.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
Last edited by templ8 on Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
AMCQ46

Re: Track day weapon

Post by AMCQ46 »

Got to say that looks too clean a bike to use a a track hack. I recon if cleaned up and running you will get more for that than for a clean storm!
AMcQ
templ8

Post by templ8 »

From a short distance it does look very clean, however the fairings are scratched, the paint on the frame and swinging arm is badly scratched and all the alloy is furry.

Would never sell it either, wanted one as an apprentice when they came out and always had an eye for them.

templ8

Post by templ8 »

Forgot to mention that it was also a non runner
Turned out to be the side stand switch circuit, the bullet connectors were all corroded.
She now runs crisply once warmed up.

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Very nice bikes them and will be good on the track when you've sorted the suspension out .
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Cheers lloydie, at least it already has the better rear linkage with the needle roller bearings. A new shock should help.
The front forks were rebuilt a few years back but with standard springs, the preload is wound right in which isn't Great.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Very nice :thumbup:
The ZXR750 seems to be going up in value now,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

great bike those. watch those carbs on them. they can be a mare to set up esp if the downpipes have been changed... :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

i had a one of these first time around great looking bike .suspention was far to hard for the road it spoiled a brilliant frame.should be a good track bike though :thumbup:
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

It could be nice youngtimer with high value shortly, better to keep it and go with some used vtr or cbr6000.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I am with Stephan, far too good to track & a nightmare to upgrade.

Tidy it & flog it, up & coming classic there.

Honda wise, Steelie Cbr 6's are the way for first timers (unless your rich), every conceivable mod has been done to them & cheap everything on eBay.

Oh, & what ever bike you buy, get one already modified, buying Ohlin's, Harris, Gilles, parts soon add up & generally you can get a track ready bike fully equipped for around £1200. Just make sure it behaves when hot.

If you don't believe me, just pop down to your local track on a track day & ask around :thumbup:

ZX-6's, CBR 6's, GSXR 6-7 SRAD's & R1-6's but you will be hard pressed to hear ZXR 750's, race/track parts are too hard to come by.

The only positive is that they have a slipper clutch built in as standard, but you have to buy the plates required to make it work from Kawasaki :thumbup:
darkember

Post by darkember »

Or an SV650
Watty

Post by Watty »

Think I'd be cleaning that up and keeping her as a road ride! Very nice classic and starting to go up in value :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

have to agree with the lads. those are getting hard to find and to good to use as a tracky... for parts and advice go onto redmonkey.com.... a lot of info on there from total kwak nutters...
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

darkember wrote:Or an SV650
Forgot about them, SV650's (mini twin series) are spot on too & look really nice with a GSXR fairing.

When you see one, then hear it, you think wtf's that? Looks like a.. But sounds like a.. :lol: :thumbup: