Battery

General Bike chat
VTRpaul

Battery

Post by VTRpaul »

I have had my Oximiser 900 pluged in since the bike went away. It reads Maintained, 13.0 volts & 0.00 amps but when i try and start the bike its like the battery is flat. The bike is a 2000 VTR 1000.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Battery

Post by sirch345 »

If you have a multi-meter, connect it to the battery and see what the voltage drops down to when you you press the start button. If you don't have a multi-meter, turn the headlight on and see what happens when you press the start button. If the battery is done the headlight will dim right down, or may even go out. If it doesn't go dim then I'd check the starter cable live (+) connection at the starter motor. Be careful though if you need to remove the cable for cleaning or to replace the nut, you don't want to spin the bolts when doing this, if you do it may damage the insulator inside the starter motor. Also worth checking that the cables on the battery are tight,

Chris.
VTRpaul

Post by VTRpaul »

Cheers mate
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Pop the plugs out and turn the engine over by hand, just in case there's fuel in the bores.
Because it's a vac tap, most people don't turn the tap off when laid up, and if the tap diaphragm has a tiny leak it can fill the bores, by leaking tiny amounts past the float needle seats over time.

But it's almost certainly battery, starter lead or a connection.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

VTRpaul wrote:I have had my Oximiser 900 pluged in since the bike went away. It reads Maintained, 13.0 volts & 0.00 amps but when i try and start the bike its like the battery is flat. The bike is a 2000 VTR 1000.

does it at least spin over or just like a clunk? You do need a meter to check. but do a visual first on the leads
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!