K&N, why so much??

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
xxxrated

K&N, why so much??

Post by xxxrated »

why are K&N's so expensive on the storm compared to other bikes?? ive found 1 on ebay for £70, is that about the best im going to get or does anybody have a links to a better deal. cheers
xxxrated

Post by xxxrated »

ouch, just cant understand it myself. ive spoken to a few people now who all payed around the £30-£40 for a filter for their bikes. they thoguht i was having a joke when i told them the price of the filters for the storm
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Ha!
Have you ever noticed it cost about £120 for a Dyno jet kit and a filter for an in line four (more jets more expensive, cheeper filter)
and about £120 for a V twin. (Cheeper jet kit, bloody expensive filter :evil: )

Pete.l
Paddockstand Ltd

ha-0011

Post by Paddockstand Ltd »

HA-0011 VTR1000FV-F3 Firestorm K & N Filter £65.92 plus Del Retail £73.25 plus Del :P
Regards

Steve

Paddockstand Ltd
www.paddockstand.co.uk
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

any other types worth considering???

going to get the storm serviced end of the month

cheers
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

You can get a pipercross or a BMC(????) but I think they are all about the same cost
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Paddockstand Ltd

K & N

Post by Paddockstand Ltd »

I shall have look around - I think I can get HIFL http://www.hiflfiltro.com but I will have to verify that with my supplier. You are not the first to ask about BMC so maybe I should kick myself up tha butt lol

Steve
Regards

Steve

Paddockstand Ltd
www.paddockstand.co.uk
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

found the BMC earlier, can voutch for them in terms of cars, so guess they must be the same for bikes

£70 for the BMC
xxxrated

Post by xxxrated »

just seen that the pipecross filters are a couple of pennies under £60, might tgive them a bash as ive used them previously on cars and found them to be a quality filter.
does anyone have any first hand experience with them on the storm?
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

again only from a car point of view

quality piece of kit, can't see why it would be any difference for the storm
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Me, I can

I've posted on here a number of times with my graph of my Strom with Pipercross filter and Remus road legals Vs mates Storm with K&N and Arts

Had my pipercross set up by Roger and he said its a right bugger to get right throughout the range
The issue is that its a massive foam element whereas the K&N is a standard sized element in a big sea of plastic (exactly the same as OEM)

What this means is that at the top end mine is flowing a lot more air & therefore makes more power than the K&N (even with road legal cans)
HOWEVER
This means that in the lower and midrange the hole is too big and the air velocity is low. Consequently it loses out to the K&N quite markedly

So you pays yer money and takes yer choice as they say

More top end at the expense of midrange grunt - Pipercross
More grunt at the expense of ultimate BHP (right at the top of the range) - K&N

Ben

PS let me know if you can't find the previous postings and I'll repost the comparison graph
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Ok
Here's the dyno graph

To reiterate, the red line is mine with pipercross & cans but prior to being setup by Roger
The Purple is AFTER being setup
The yellow is K&N, dynojet & Art cans (full on very load race cans)

As you can see mine is nearly 10bhp down in the midrange for the sake of 2-5bhp further up the rev range. (guess which one was easier to wheelie?:lol: )
Although to be fair race cans on mine would have added another 5(ish)

Hope this helps

Ben
xxxrated

Post by xxxrated »

thats a tidy graph, how much does revolution racing charge to set youre bike up?? obviously different bike will need different amount of times spent on them but if i took it up there with a dynojet kit, and my filter and cans fitted around how much would it cost??
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Mine cost £400 when I took it up there

HOWEVER
That was to do the valve clearances too which necessitated a couple of new valve seats :x

I think he said around the £80 mark including jets etc as I didn't bother with a dynojet kit
Best bet is to speak to him directly on 07970 915259

If you haven't already bought the dynojet kit I'd also recommend holding off til you've spoken to him

Ben

PS which filter have you decided to plump for?
xxxrated

Post by xxxrated »

havent bought a dynojet kit yet, as for the filter i think it may be better splashing out the extra bit for the K&N. will hopefully get it sorted over the next couple of weeks