Fan?

General Biker Banter
Boubepo

Fan?

Post by Boubepo »

A bit of a cheeky question this one because it's not on my FireStorm but on my 1993 CB1000 Super Four but I guess the same would apply to a Storm as it's a bit of a generic question

My fan doesn't appear to be coming on - I changed the original fan switch when the fan stopped working, fitted a cheap Chinese replacement which worked initially but stopped working soon after. I suspected the Chinese factor and kicked myself for going against my better judgement and buying anything Chinese! I replaced the fan switch next with a decent Japanese switch, which worked initially and stopped working soon after!! grrrrr!

I have checked the fuse which is okay. taken the fan off and connected it to the battery and it runs fine and is clean and as new and runs smoothly, the wiring also looks in good condition and no obvious signs of corrosion. The bike is in almost showroom condition, so I don't suspect any general corrosion related issues

Coolant levels are fine

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated
popkat

Re: Fan?

Post by popkat »

Sounds like the bikes had it, if your fan switch is broke then it's time to break the thing.... On that note I'd really like the forks, yokes and brakes, will you sell them to me :biggrin

I would suggest some sort of wiring fault, maybe a short somewhere, or possibly the fan motor is intermittently sticking and causing the troubles. you could wire up a handlebar switch to operate the fan manually, not ideal but it will get round the problem.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

can he heat his switch with a blow torch to test it malc
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

The temperature switch just completes the ground connection from the fan motor. With ignition on, the power supply through the fuse to the motor and then to the switch should show 12v with your meter between the female terminal on the wire, and a ground like the frame. You should be able to connect a wire to that female terminal and touch it to the frame and the fan will start. If not, you have a wire problem between the battery and the temperature switch. If the fan works when tested as above, then your switch might be dodgy.

Edit: Better still, look at section 19-12 in the service manual. A better description of what to do than mine!
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

Thanks for all your help guys - I will do a voltage test on the wiring and if I can't get over the problem, I might try a [fan] switch on the handlebars

It's something I need to get sorted as I live in Spain and the old CB has no engine cooling fins, I also get caught up in traffic at the Spanish/Gibraltar border crossing most days - so it needs to get sorted sooner than later

Thanks again
Motomvk

Post by Motomvk »

Check the usual, earths, shorts, make sure your battery voltage when running is correct, if the R/R is on its way out it could be causing a spike in voltage and taking out your new switches