Is £5.30 Ok for back shock spacers

General Biker Banter
Stu9

Is £5.30 Ok for back shock spacers

Post by Stu9 »

I saw them on a link somewhere here, it's a company called mayad (I know that's wrong but something like that) it's just a small ally plate that slips round the shock bolt/mount....Are they cheaper than that, is it to much.

I'll check what washers I've got too or the local ironmonger will have them for pennys
VTR Phoenix

Re: Is £5.30 Ok for back shock spacers

Post by VTR Phoenix »

I got some square 3mm spacers from bandq, trimmed them on one edge and used those. Thought better than round washers as gave more surface area than normal washers. I had the shock off so didn't need to extend the hole as just slipped them over the top.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

get some 1" OD, 1mm thick washers, drill a 10mm hole in them and then cut a slot out so the are C shaped.

then you can add and remove in 1mm intervals to fine tune
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Or just get a bag of m10 washers and fit them
Stu9

Post by Stu9 »

Cheers guys
Stu9

Post by Stu9 »

Just loosen the nut and drop the shock...

Nope not on mine, only drops so far and hits exhaust and the big nut n bolt at the top that holds the shock to the mount that goes through the frame, you can't get in. Plus the battery box (which is part of the mudgaurd...well done Mr Honda for that design :roll: ) is in the rd too.

This is a bloody nightmare just to (try) and get washers in
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

If you cut the washers into a C shape (in other words extend the hole to the edge) you can loosen the top nut and get someone to lift the bike via the subframe and you can slide them in. I didn't need to as I had mine apart already.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

VTR Phoenix wrote:If you cut the washers into a C shape (in other words extend the hole to the edge) you can loosen the top nut and get someone to lift the bike via the subframe and you can slide them in. I didn't need to as I had mine apart already.
+1
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Stu9

Post by Stu9 »

That's what I'll need to do or drop the exhaust to get the shock down far enough
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Stu9 wrote:That's what I'll need to do or drop the exhaust to get the shock down far enough
The shock won't drop enough without undoing the bottom shock pivot bolt, but as soon as you do that the bike will collapse as its the shock holding the back end up. Only way you can do it that way is to remove exhaust system completely, bit of wood on trolley Jack, place under sump, lift till the bike is slightly higher, strap both sides of frame down, or get someone to hold it so it doesn't fall to the side when you remove the shock. Easier to cut and slide them in.
Stu9

Post by Stu9 »

I thought that

Yep easier to cut them, I thought I'd be able to drop the shock easy, nope
popkat

Post by popkat »

Abba stand, undo the suspension linkage and lower shock bolt and remove the lot, shock will then come out the bottom, or if you only want to put a spacer on it will lower enough to do that, it might lower enough if you just undo the linkage and pull it down but you might as well clean and re grease the linkages while your there.

Helpful tip* get a piece of wood, a 2ft bit of floor board or decking is ideal, put it under your back tyre facing straight out the back. When you put the linkage/shock back on you can lift the wood at one end which will raise the wheel so you can align the bolt holes.

Suspension bolt torque settings 33ft/lb

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s