slow turning over after winter layup

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
marlbororman

Re: slow turning over after winter layup

Post by marlbororman »

agentpineapple wrote:
marlbororman wrote:
agentpineapple wrote:if you do need a new starter, let me know mate and i'll do you a good forum deal on a fully refurbed starter... :thumbup:
ok, so how much is a refurb starter then if i need one ? Still gotta rip plastics off and check a few things but reckon it could be done for :( know more tomorrow.
hi mate I can do a forum price of £55 delivered.
that be great mate, need to get plastics off and assess in the morning then i`ll get back to you during the day. cheers for replying.

Toni.mon , we need a catch up around a tumble drier in wales. been looking at the dates. will see if i can make it september.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Looking forward to that, mate :thumbup:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

well i have found the problem

Starter is working fine, had the bike running just now by holding contact to it and using start button. but connection post is shot. How easy is it to replace the full bolt anyone ??? I guess next job is to remove the starter anyway.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

looking at the picture of your starter, it's fair to say it's had a hard life.... :lol:
the main bolts can't be bought individually as they are only made for starter motors, and as yet I haven't been able to find any, you can use a similar sized button head bolt and cut the sides of the head to make it fit. it isn't that tough, but I reckon you'll have trouble removing the outer casing, as the two long bolts look very corroded.
I can supply you a new rubber boot as I have a few spares mate.
if you follow my write up in the workshop section, it'll show you how to sort out the starter. and make sure you put a big dollop of grease under the new boot when you fit it..... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

ok mate cheers for quick reply, will go look in workshop to see what im up against, but will probs just get a recon unit off you. i`ll let ya know in 15 mins :)
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

just gonna go whip the last bolt out to have a better look at starter off the bike. didn't realize it was only two bolts holding it on and ones already out :) back in a min.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Looks like a new lead will also need to be on the shopping list

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-hornet- ... Swl9BWGTV6

Don't think the lead that comes with this would be long enough as the starter is closer to the relay than on the storm. But the Hornet starter will fit and they are generally in better condition due to their position protected from road crud.

Firestorm lead > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-VTR1000 ... SwxN5WZapR
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

Well safe to say i reckon its seen better days ???
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

marlbororman wrote:ok mate cheers for quick reply, will go look in workshop to see what im up against, but will probs just get a recon unit off you. i`ll let ya know in 15 mins :)

Right local bike spares shop has a few fireblade ones in, gonna go take a look see what condition they are in, may be able to pick up a cable at the very least from there
anyway. back soon.
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

well ive picked up bargain of the year, off to get it fitted after a coffee. no cable but got a starter for 15 quid.

Cheers for all of your help and kind offers everyone.

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

looks very clean mate, should do the trick, i'd still suggest on checking the internals to make sure nothings broken, the blade lead is too short, I have spare storm leads if needs be fella.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

agentpineapple wrote:looks very clean mate, should do the trick, i'd still suggest on checking the internals to make sure nothings broken, the blade lead is too short, I have spare storm leads if needs be fella.
gonna take lead to my mates later, after speaking with him (ex mechanic) he said he has wire and all connectors to make a new one up. will take it from there, otherwise may buy a lead and rubber boot off ya. I`ll be in touch.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

good to see you back on the form Marlboroman. hopefully catch up on one of the ride outs.

PS you should try to join the Scottish one
AMcQ
macdee

Post by macdee »

marlbororman wrote:well ive picked up bargain of the year, off to get it fitted after a coffee. no cable but got a starter for 15 quid.

very tidy starter for the money mate
good to see you getting back on the road
just for kicks you should try a nut spliter on the old nut you might be surprised how good the threads are anyway it would be good practice
told you not to but oh no you knew better
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

macdee wrote:
marlbororman wrote:well ive picked up bargain of the year, off to get it fitted after a coffee. no cable but got a starter for 15 quid.

very tidy starter for the money mate
good to see you getting back on the road
just for kicks you should try a nut spliter on the old nut you might be surprised how good the threads are anyway it would be good practice

pmsl not much nut left lol, new starter in. picked an eyelet tag up to match starter. will sort cable out later. BUT she is alive, Had her started earlier on. with new rubber ready to burn lol