2 questions regarding chain and clutch

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
xxxrated

2 questions regarding chain and clutch

Post by xxxrated »

recievedmy chain and sprockets today, big sdhout out to M&P's as there delivery was stupidly quick. does anyone know how many links the chain should be for a 15/41 setup??

also i want to give the bike an overhaul this week a i have a lift into work every day. i want to change my clutch plates as my clutch has been a bit sketchy since day 1. how difficult is it?? im pretty competent (sp) with bikes just never changed the clutch plates before. and does anyone recommend a set of clutch plates?? 90% of the time the bike is being ridden pretty hard so im after some tidy aftermarket 1's. cheers
kingster

Post by kingster »

102 links for the chain.

Clutch is easy enough, just got to make sure you drain all the coolant first, or else it will get into the motor. You can even get away with leaving the oil in when on side stand, but might as well drain and replace anyway.

Basically, fairing off, loosen rad, remove hoses from water pump, watch bright green stuff go everywhere, remove engine casing, and then its just a case of removing clutch spring bolts.

Remove the pushrod and note which end goes where.

Make a good note or photo how the plates are set up (as the top one sits differently), and check which way the small metal pressure spring thing goes - it's right at the back, no need to remove it really.

Replace plates and make sure they go back in the right order!

Reassemble in reverse order, making sure gasket is cleaned off and replaced with new one (you DID order a gasket - right?). When refilling the coolant, run the engine for a mo, then top it up again BEFORE putting faing back on.

The clutch slave cylinder might push itself out, so be careful not to pull the lever while things are apart and check the level AFTER all is back together.

Finally, don't blame me if it all goes horribly wrong :wink:

Don't forget to get a new gasket, the old one WILL break.

Kingster
Paddockstand Ltd

Post by Paddockstand Ltd »

That info comes for free when you buy them from me lol

Joking 104 links i believe is the std amount.
Regards

Steve

Paddockstand Ltd
www.paddockstand.co.uk
xxxrated

Post by xxxrated »

cheers for that guys thats a big help. havent actually ordered clutch plates yet but will deffo get a gasket when i do. just completely stripped the butt end of the bike and ive never seen so much gunk in my life. swingarm is being removed and polished although god knows why as im still having nightmares from when i polished the frame :evil:
should hopefully be getting a shock very soon aswell so ill have the suspension sorted and i cooked the brake fluid on the weekend so thats gonna need changing. would it be worth chucking some DOT 5 in there as from what i have read it has a higher boiling point, i know ill have to completely clean out everything the fluid travels through but surely it will be a better option??
nobby50

Post by nobby50 »

try to soak the new clutch plates in oil for 24hrs..it gives them a better start in life,rather than hammering them straight out the garage doors with vertually now oil on them...it takes time for the oil to impregnate them..
It might be old, but it still kicks ass !
dookie

Post by dookie »

I read something the other day warning against using dot 5 in bike brakes , ill try and find and post it for you
There was a time i used to care
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Dookie,

You're right there!!

Dot5 does indeed have a higher boiling point
HOWEVER
It is also a lot more hydroscopic (ie it absorbs water from its surroundings)
This means its great for race bikes that have the fluid changed every 1-2 meetings but an absolute dead loss on road bikes (unless you can be bothered!!)

XXX, how did you manage to boil your brake fluid?
I'd suggest getting some better/different pads if you're having that problem coz I've never managed it on road or track
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
slim_boy_fat

Post by slim_boy_fat »

Stormin Ben wrote:Dookie,

You're right there!!

HOWEVER
This means its great for race bikes that have the fluid changed every 1-2 meetings but an absolute dead loss on road bikes (unless you can be bothered!!)

I'd suggest getting some better/different pads if you're having that problem coz I've never managed it on road or track

No no no thrice NO

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding with brake fluid.

The DOT number of it does not necessarily relate to the temp grade of the fluid.

DOT 5 is NOT hydroscopic, all others ARE. DOT 5 is a silicon base fluid. The problem with it is the water does not mix with the fluid and creates a bubble of water which will heat and turn to gas, causing problems.

There can also be problems with corrosion with DOT 5 due to the water lying in the lines. DOT 5 silicone fluid works well in very low temp environments i.e. -10 or less.

I use DOT 4 ATE Super Blue Fluid. Has got a high temp dry and wet BP. Its not the absolute best but its pretty close and only about £10 per litre as opposed to £50 for the Castrol SRF etc.

-edited for typo's-
Last edited by slim_boy_fat on Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's here.........
xxxrated

Post by xxxrated »

Stormin Ben wrote:Dookie,

You're right there!!

HOWEVER

im using EBC HH sintered pads and all the other braking components seem to be in prerfect working order so i assume it has to be the fluid. has been fine until sun and mon ride which were both absolutely mental and caned the brakes along with everything else. the brake lever is now stupidly spongy which from what i was reading is caused by the brake fluid boiling. may just try a better quality DOT 3/4 first and see if that sorts the problem out. they definetly got slowly spongier throughout sun and monday and it wasnt a sudden loss of braking if that helps to find the problem.
and why didnt someone stop me from polishing my swinger :evil: forgot how tediously boring it is and ive only done about 2 hours worth, will get some progress pics up shortly
slim_boy_fat

Post by slim_boy_fat »

As stated above get some ATE super blue.

Check the link for whats out there. I get mine from Eurocar parts

http://www.raceshopper.com/brake_fluid.shtml
It's here.........
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

slim_boy_fat wrote:
Stormin Ben wrote: Dot5 does indeed have a higher boiling point
No no no
DOT 5 is NOT hydroscopic, .
:oops: Oops
Er, that was what was what I meant!! :lol:

I knew it was worse WRT loss of performance due to water but obviously not quite the mechanics of how!
XXX-rated wrote: im using EBC HH sintered pads
That explains it then!!!
Its the reason I removed my HH's and lobbed them in the bin!!
None of the ones I've used since then have had the problem

However, I can't help but wonder if the disks you're using could also have contributed (Is my memory right in assuming you're using those VFR400 ones?)
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
Paddockstand Ltd

Clutch Plates

Oops missed that bit lol

Anyways when I get back in the morning I will give you a price on EBC clutches both std and race ;)
Regards

Steve

Paddockstand Ltd
www.paddockstand.co.uk
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

xxx,

If your brakes feel spoungy then the first thing i'd do is make sure that all the pistons in your callipers are free to move and that you shold be able to push them back in with finger pressure alone. If they are stick they cive them a good clean with some brake fluid and cotton buds but make sure you don't pump them out too far when you are cleaning them.

Al.
Paddockstand Ltd

Tell you what buster I would get some HEL brake lines, Performance Friction Pads and some rotors then you would be sure its sorted ;)

Come and see me when you are ready wink wink
Regards

Steve

Paddockstand Ltd
www.paddockstand.co.uk
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »