As you will maybe already know I have a flat battery
New one comes next week
What's the thoughts on jump starting it of the car
Some twins have all the fun !!!!
VTR Phoenix

Re: Jump start

Post by VTR Phoenix »

I have but they say you shouldn't.

If you decide to then DO NOT have the car running. If you do it could fry your ECU.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
wall.j

Post by wall.j »

Yes, it's fine as long as the vehicle isn't running. The vehicles charge voltage is too high for the motorcycles ECU and other components and could cause damage. In theory, you'd just be connecting a battery in parallel.
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

I agree... remember + to battery + lead peg .... - to ground say rear brake disc ,, not the -
terminal .. best way... or if you can just wait 7 x 24 hrs ... lock it up and walk away come back with
your new battery.... good time to check your wiring with your acme avometer :thumbup:
darkember

Post by darkember »

If you are feeling energetic then bump start it :lol: :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

What?
Is a car battery's voltage higher than a bikes?

(answer- no...)

The reg/rec works in exactly the same way, the voltage going into a car battery is the same as a bike's.

Assuming that the car's reg/rec isn't faulty, there's no problem at all.
And any higher voltage going in th the bike should be shunted to heat by the bike's reg/rec, just the same as the 25+ volts that the bike's alternator produces at full revs.

You shouldn't need to have the car's engine running, but iI wouldn't have thought it would do any damage if it is.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mwkeats

Post by mwkeats »

Hi guys,

I wouldn't have the car running. Some vehicles (like mine) have a calcium battery which I believe does require a slightly higher voltage to charge. That isn't really the issue though. If the bikes RR attempts to shunt and the car is running, the car will see it as a load and compensate. Your poor bike's RR will be trying to dump all the current the car can produce which will likely be more than it can handle. In short (pardon the pun), don't take the risk having the vehicle running.

As for a good earth, choose a location on the engine preferably (like the bolt where the battery earth cable attaches). I'd avoid running current through bearings so not use the swingarm or brake rotor etc.)

Cheers
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

because I'm away from my bike for longish periods of time, I have to jump start it every 4 weeks or so, I always have s couple of spare fully charged car batteries indoors, I just use use of them, never had an issue, well that's not true, one time I used a metal table to put the car battery on whilst jump starting the bike, it started with no issues, other than a massive backfire lol. but when I removed the leads from the bike, I didn't realise that i'd put them on the metal table, it wasn't until I saw smoke, turned around to find the table was on fire... :eek2
quickly removed the leads and the fire went out, lesson learned doh!!!!
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Am I being thicky here?
If the battery negative is attached to that bolt on the engine anyway, why wouldn't you just attach the negative to the battery negative?
Its not like the bike is actually earthed anyway as last time I checked two big rubber hoops dont conduct electricity that well!!
:lol:
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I've used the car to jump the bike on occasions and have always had the car engine running and it's never caused a problem :cool2
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

wall.j

Post by wall.j »

If you use the bolt or another point on the chassis, it adds resistance to the load. The higher the resistance, the lower the current that will flow. I'm only a trainee sparkie, so can't go more in depth than that, but I think that's why.
redpig

Post by redpig »

Ive jumped my old FS plenty of times due to a battery drain caused by a corroded connection to the starter.
Used a portable battery pack, didnt seem to be a problem
ook
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

You want a jump start..... Try moto2 :lol:
AMcQ
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

AMCQ46 wrote:You want a jump start..... Try moto2 :lol:
:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: