Brake binding

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Pistonguy

Re: Brake binding

Post by Pistonguy »

MacV2 wrote:Take 'em off & full refurb, worth doing despite the PITA of doing it, that way you can clean up the pistons & check or replace the seals.

You want it done full on ? Send them to Jonesy. The Master Braker ... :thumbup:
Wish i could but i am in USA and the only one i ever run into with a vtr1000 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonesey

Post by Jonesey »

Haha I could turn them around in oh say,
2 months!!! Lol
Unus Dies Gingiber Mos Hereditas Orbis terrarum.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pistonguy wrote:Today after work i pulled the caliper and totally disassembled. The seals were fine, not so dirty but one of the pistons had some gunk on it and was binding up. Cleaned it up real good and got it back on and took about an hour to pump up the brakes(no speed bleeder) and it is working ok. I can only get about a rotation and a half on the wheel freespin but its at least not binding anymore. My forkstand has little rubber feet that the fork legs sit on, and i also noticed when tightening the front axle if everything wasn't completely straight it wouldn't spin good, just something i didn't notice before. Will be a couple days till the rain lets off and i can ride but i think it should be good to go. Every time i am a little daunted by a project i grab the old honda shop manual and just take my time and seems to workout ok lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure if you're aware of this, going by what you have written possibly not, so just in case. Assuming your bike still has the original type forks, when refitting the front wheel you need to slide the spindle in through the wheel and the fork legs, fit the bolt and torque that up. Next tighten up the two bolts at the bottom of the righthand side (throttle side) fork leg. Remove the bike off the stand, holding the front brake on, push down on the forks and allow them to return a few times. Doing this centralises the lefthand fork leg, you can now tighten up the two bolts at the bottom of the lefthand fork leg,

Chris.