Tragedy strikes again

General Biker Banter
gcs

Post by gcs »

Sorry for your loss. Any loss of life in the biking comunity, global or otherwise, will be sorely missed.

The replies are similar to my own thinking on this subject, we all know the risks and accept it everytime we ride.

I makes us what we are!!
Craig from the land of the long white cloud. Teal VTR 2001.
Woody_100

Post by Woody_100 »

Like loads of others here, I've lost friends and friends of friends to bike accidents, and for a while it really freaks you out. Well, it did for me.

I listened to a pub mate being killed a few years ago: me and a buddy were playing golf and heard this lad take off out of the villiage. Flat out up to 5th gear on his gixer. It suddenely went dead quiet, and we just knew that he had been wiped out at a notorious cross roads. Dead at the scene.
Another mate wiped out right in fron tof me at 50mph. He was all busted up, but relatively ok.
I put off getting my latest bike for about 4 years as every spring, all you ever heard of was biker killed, biker serious after RTA etc etc Even this year, as has been said, thers been 4 fatalities up here in the space of a week.
It really makes you stop and think.

But, I still have my bike. I pined for years every summer, every time a bike went past. It was, and still is in my blood.

Keep you bike, cos you'll regret selling it eventually. Ride sensibly, within your limits, be very aware and for me, I always know that there are loved ones that would be heartbroken if I became a stastic, so watch out for yourself cos you owe it to them.

My thoughts and sympathies go out to all these guys' families.

Sincerely,
Woody
Here we go again..............
kevg

Post by kevg »

yup, condolences to all concearned.

up here in aberdeenshire, there have been two or three already this year i think, seems a bad part of the country for it unfortunately
cheerz

kev
FalomVtr

Post by FalomVtr »

We have recently had a bad run down here in OZ. There were three members from one forum lost in the space of a few months, one returning from the funeral of one of those very members! We also lost one of our own members from OzFirestorm. Cat was actually in a car at the time but it just goes to show that you don't know what is around the corner and you never know how much time you have. Only you can really make the decision wether to ride or not but if you choose to throw it in do it for the right reasons.

Take care :)

Stew
FalomVtr

Post by FalomVtr »

Dale is doing well from all reports. He has had a lot of support here and there has been money raised to help with his court expenses to get his son. From what I know he and Will are doing very well. :)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

FalomVtr wrote:Dale is doing well from all reports. He has had a lot of support here and there has been money raised to help with his court expenses to get his son. From what I know he and Will are doing very well. :)
I remember that very sad loss as well, I'm pleased too hear that good news :!:
I do hope it all works out for Dale :!:

Chris.
kevstorm

Post by kevstorm »

sorry to hear of your sad loss :cry: i had a mate who sold his bike , a few months later ,he seen the chap he sold it to ,and asked for a sentamental ride ,just a ride up the road and back , he never came back ,killed 200metres up the road, when your times up theres nothing you can do :(
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

this is in essence how i came to get my bike. The previous owner was out with his mate who had an accident, (thankfully not too serious) and it spooked him.

As i keep telling my family, i bought the bike to enjoy it and not kill myself on and ride as such.

After the first bike night was last night, i went with some guys from work who dissapeared into the distance on the way, it just means they get to buy the burgers!! and you aren't any less of a person not to keep up

Just take it easy guys, know your limitations and enjoy many summers and not just one last fast bend.....
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Rincewind wrote:
Just take it easy guys, know your limitations and enjoy many summers and not just one last fast bend.....
Could'nt have put it better myself, save the trick stuff for the track days and just enjoy the ride for what it is.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

Rincewind wrote:Just take it easy guys, know your limitations and enjoy many summers and not just one last fast bend.....
Nice one well said

Its always better to arrive 10 mins later than depart 20 years early

Ride safe and treat everyone else as a potential tw@
kevstorm

Post by kevstorm »

been out for a meal in the car tonite ,and have a guess what came across a accident ,it was unmistakable honda colour red ,either a rr or vtr ,couldnt tell it was trashed ,the police was diverting us ,but there was 2 ambulances there :( but it looked if a car had pulled out of a side road ,somebody else that wont make it home :(
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Once told my mother that if I go whilst riding, to try to get some kind of comfort out of knowing I've gone doing something I absolutely adore. She nodded & I believe she understood.

We all live our lives choosing our risks. Usually, the risk increases as the thrill does. I just hope if it happens to me, that I'm riding my best on a great road with great weather. If it does, chances are, I'll be a smiling corpse.

It's always awful to read these threads, but generally for those left behind. Hopefully it was quick & the rider went out on a high.
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
slim_boy_fat

Post by slim_boy_fat »

Stormtrooper wrote: Its always better to arrive 10 mins later than depart 20 years early

Ride safe and treat everyone else as a potential tw@
Oi, speak for yourself i like to think at least 40 years.
It's here.........
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Vtr Girl Said
We all live our lives choosing our risks. Usually, the risk increases as the thrill does. I just hope if it happens to me, that I'm riding my best on a great road with great weather. If it does, chances are, I'll be a smiling corpse.
Snap!
Can't but help feel moved by those who's time has ran short but life goes on. Take your choices and make the best of it. If we all dwelled on the bad we would never get out of bed so take a chance, get dressed, go out and have a little to talk about in your lives.

Pete.l
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

It's always completely wrenching when this happens.

I've lost friends and been seriously injured myself (close to being lost myself)

For reassurance, I look at it from the view that I understand and accept the risk. There's many ways to be prematurely removed from this world, I'm just glad that the risky one I choose brings me so much happiness.

Of all the losses I've experienced, I know each and every one of them would get back on a bike if circumstances had been different and they'd only been injured. Having been off bikes for a few years due to recovery and finances, I have truly missed it.

To lose anyone you care about for any reason is hard, but to give up another love for what might happen is hard too.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.