Rear caliper alternatives that aren't sliding calipers..

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Geordie

Rear caliper alternatives that aren't sliding calipers..

Post by Geordie »

Hello stormers
Just doing the usual spring sort out of the bike putting new sprockets chains etc on and a wee tidy up.. Noticed the pads on the rear caliper worn excessively on the piston side as usual with sliding calipers.. Yes I've done the overhaul kit a while back and I just hate sliding calipers.. So has anybody fitted fairly easily another rear or small twin pot caliper from another bike to the firestorm? What and how.. Any info much appreciated! Cheers
George
tony.mon

Re: Rear caliper alternatives that aren't sliding calipers..

Post by tony.mon »

It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

No lube !!
ConTRo13R

Post by ConTRo13R »

Oh thats good! That is good!
thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

Why not just replace the pins with new ones, then move on to a more worthwile mod?

Swapping the barely ever used rear brake is not exactly a "value add" mod...

James
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Well yeah.. I've done most other mods lol plus I've replaced the pins bushes and rubbers not long ago.. Shite design sliding calipers. Never not given me problems every car I've owned.. Just wondered if there was a reasonably feasible swap.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Back brake get plenty use ;-)
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

You need a reasonably good rear brake on a road bike for slow speed manoeuvring otherwise the front tips you off balance. All right ignoring it if you're a GP God.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

doesn't take long to remove the pin, give it a rub down with wet n dry, then a light smear of vht grease and put it back in, do it every year should only take 5 mins.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Aye it's the default solution.. Just hate seeing one pad worn the other not worn and the inside side of the disc look like sh1t because it's not getting as much pressure applied.. Wasteful design just to save a bit of weight or clearance.. I'll do a bit of research see if I can come up with anything..
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Oh and I'm defo no God of anything nevermind bikes..!!
However back brake is uber useful two up, in the wet, controlling those vtr wheelie habits! , brushing off speed going into corners.. Gets every bit as much use as the front.. Or is it just my riding?!! I do as much miles on track as I do on roads these days.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Currently making a steel jig to use to position accurately the lower half of a firestorm rear caliper bracket and the upper or caliper half of a bracket from a ducati 750ss 600ss in line to be welded together to form a suitable bracket to locate a twin piston caliper in the correct position on the rear. The caliper is a brembo rear caliper from an aprilia which has the banjo bolt pipe connection in the same place as standard firestorm but is lighter. Hoping it'll fit fine if my measurements are good. Only thing I may have to do is match the contour of the brake pad material to the disc so the pad doesn't wear the edge of the disc away. :thumbup:
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

if you find that alternative solid caliper, you have to use different floating brake disc with brake bobbins. Or you will get worse symptoms than just pad wear.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yep something needs to move.

I too use the back brake loads. It is there for a reason.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Aye.. Use the back brake lots.. Lots of bikes have solid rears can't see it being too much of a problem but yes ideally a floating disc which you can get from the states for 200 quid! .. See how it goes.