Upside down fork conversion

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

Hey Yella me fella, I think you’ve missed the point by a country mile.

Firstly, good as the Firestorm is, it’s never been highly rated for sharp handling due to the shortcomings of its suspension, particularly at the front end. So, it makes sense to sharpen the bike up by changing stuff. And let’s face it, the GSXR range is a good source of sweet handling running gear (particularly when so many born-agains buy ‘em and bin ‘em). So if good running gear from another marque is relatively plentiful, then it’s relatively cheap. Same with the wheels and brakes – lighter wheels and more powerful brakes aren’t a bad upgrade for a ‘Storm.

Secondly, there are those of us who do it because we can. Ask anyone who builds a custom bike (and I’ve built a few) – the satisfaction is in taking on engineering challenges to improve your bike’s performance, handling and (arguably) styling. At the end of the day, I like the idea of having something different from the norm, with a few tweaks here and there. Although a ‘fightered Firestorm may not be unique, it sure makes for a good looking bike.

And you end up with the best of both worlds: a sweet handling bike that retains the character of its stonking motor and chassis combination. And we all know the benefits of a potent V-twin, right? Plus something that stands out when it's parked amongst other bikes. Let's face it, we all do it to a certain extent!

Buy a Gixer when you can make a Firestorm handle better using quality components? No contest…
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

scubadog wrote: I've posted four pics of my streetfighter showing both front and back end work. Go to the "Workshop" folder and look for the blue ("teal") naked Firestorm.

Scubadog
Very impressive :!: :!: the rad accross the frame IMO looks good as do the USD forks :!:I could go on :!: Well done 8)

Chris.
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

Thanks very much Chris.

The rad was a complete PIG of a job, but worthwhile. You can see it needed some mods, which were carried out by Earl's (the hose people) at Silverstone. They're a great bunch and very helpful.

Scoob
juni5

Post by juni5 »

Scuba hit it right on the nose..In my case I'm using a gsxr front end cause my forks are bent into a pretzel. Gsxr parts are easy to come by unlike used vtr parts. And the inverted forks and six-pot calipers on the gsxr would be a VERY nice upgrade. For people who have customed their bikes this type of stuff is fun. It's all about overcoming challenges. Also it is a pretty rewarding feeling at end of the day (or 6 months ;) when you actually get to ride and experience the work that you've done. It's unlike any other form of art I've done...
2004 600RR
2004 R6
2002 VTR 1000
2000 XR50
1996 YZ 125
juni5

Post by juni5 »

Well here it is finally...2002 Gsxr1k front end on there..
2004 600RR
2004 R6
2002 VTR 1000
2000 XR50
1996 YZ 125
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

juni5 wrote:Image

Well it's certainly looking the part, well done :!:

Any chance of a bit bigger picture or a link to one :?:

Cheers,

Chris.
VeetyR

Post by VeetyR »

monomaster wrote:
Rincewind wrote:right, that would appear to be slightly out of my technical ability :lol:

is there a seat conversion that anybody knows off thats less hassle ???

over to you......
Here's a link to a Metisse seat that looks a whole lot better than the standard one, & you can use the stock sub-frame!

http://www.whaccessories.com/VTR%20Accessories.htm
Some of their prices are outrageous $390 for a plain square headlight is taking the p**s ..... makes me wanna buy cheepo's and export for profit hahahaha
Keep it gutter...Keep it grimey..........one!
juni5

Post by juni5 »

sirch345 wrote:
juni5 wrote:Image

Well it's certainly looking the part, well done :!:

Any chance of a bit bigger picture or a link to one :?:

Cheers,

Chris.
Thanks, scubadog helped me out alot...

I'll try and post some pics tonight...I'm gonna be tearing her down again to mess with the carbs...
2004 600RR
2004 R6
2002 VTR 1000
2000 XR50
1996 YZ 125