what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
VTRDark

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by VTRDark »

Got busy today and got the rear end removed. Only one slightly seized area. One side of the swingarm where the engine mounting bolt slides through. I got lucky with a bit of lube and working it in and got the sleeve and bearing spinning inside the swingarm. Gave it all good clean and the chain which I removed. I also gave the linkages and shock good clean.

Some pics.

And look at the state of my shed LOL

Needs a bloody good clear out. OK must put a pizza in the oven now as I'm hungry after all that. Tomorrow I shall carry on with cleaning only this time it will be around the front sprocket area and the back of the engine. I may even start with the wet n dry on my headers.
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Visit today from Steve Van Stub...

His bike not mine...Changed the front discs, cleaned up the callipers a bit, put in new pads.

Now he's been having this issue with it bogging down under load, on the way over to mine it cut out twice...

So to eliminate one poss thing...we swapped the coils from Smerkin Joe...

He went out for a test ride & came back about 20 mins later pushing it...He only actually made it to the end of my road... 8O

We quickly diagnosed the problem & sorted it out...& no it wasn't the vac pipe !

Another test ride, this time I followed along, & is good. New pads bedded in nicely. Back to mine, I noticed when behind him he had a tail light bulb out, so that was replaced, all done for the day. Find out later if the coil swap has cured his issue.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
vanstub

Post by vanstub »

MacV2 wrote:Visit today from Steve Van Stub...

His bike not mine...Changed the front discs, cleaned up the callipers a bit, put in new pads.

Now he's been having this issue with it bogging down under load, on the way over to mine it cut out twice...

So to eliminate one poss thing...we swapped the coils from Smerkin Joe...

He went out for a test ride & came back about 20 mins later pushing it...He only actually made it to the end of my road... 8O

We quickly diagnosed the problem & sorted it out...& no it wasn't the vac pipe !

Another test ride, this time I followed along, & is good. New pads bedded in nicely. Back to mine, I noticed when behind him he had a tail light bulb out, so that was replaced, all done for the day. Find out later if the coil swap has cured his issue.
like El Presidente said and no swapping the coils hasn't sorted the issue :Mad3: :wtf:
Life's too short for plain biscuits :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I had a day to myself, wife and daughter are off visiting my old Mum for me...

Needless to say, spent the whole day in the gge.

Did flapper mod in the Sp2, and made some nice little carbon fibre plates to remove the PAIR system, removed tank only to find it had already been done. Ah well, they'll go on Ebay.
I bought some 40mm riser clipons, they went on after a fight and I'll rebuild the fairing and set the clipons up tomorrow.
Only trouble is at full rise the front brake lines are too short, but I've removed the clips on the mudguard and they don't go too tight at full extensions now. TBH I don't need the full 20mm anyway, half that is enough. For peace of mind I might just get some longer brake lines and sell these on.

Wasted 20 minutes trying to find some of the components; I could have looked it up but it's more fun finding out, isn't it?

Bonus is that it has K+N's fitted, which save me buying some.

MOT next saturday, so best get it finished tomorrow.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:Got busy today and got the rear end removed. Only one slightly seized area. One side of the swingarm where the engine mounting bolt slides through. I got lucky with a bit of lube and working it in and got the sleeve and bearing spinning inside the swingarm. Gave it all good clean and the chain which I removed. I also gave the linkages and shock good clean.

Some pics.

And look at the state of my shed LOL

Needs a bloody good clear out. OK must put a pizza in the oven now as I'm hungry after all that. Tomorrow I shall carry on with cleaning only this time it will be around the front sprocket area and the back of the engine. I may even start with the wet n dry on my headers.
Good work Carl :thumbup:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I should have taken after cleaning pics too. My chain looks Gold again :D I shall do some tomorrow after I have cleaned the engine and sprocket area. :thumbup:
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

Nice one Carl!

Me? Having fixed my chain tight spot issue, went for a little tour. Firstly to visit a friend in the Forest of Dean, going via M40/A40 to avoid sitting on the M4 all the way. Crappy ride really, mainly due to the overcast, drizzly weather. That was Wed morning. Fri morning headed north from there on A roads to Manchester to see another old friend, picking up a bit of motorway at the end. Great weather, great route and great fun. I headed back yesterday on A roads to Sheffield and motorway from there. Wasn't a bad ride considering all the mway, but my neck started to ache a bit. Doing things like this is exactly why I bought the bike! And no issues with the bike at all!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

you lot make me jealous, haven't really touched my bike in a week. I've got lots of minor niggle to sort out before the devon trip, not to mention a 1000 mile journey back to the uk which i'd like to do in two days, but I've never done 500 miles a day, so I reckon my body will be hurting.
roll on devon next month... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Swapped the loom over on Custard Crumble...So after a strip down B/Work, tank & heat sheild.
Unplugged all the conectors front to rear. Then it's pull the old loom out...
This is where it gets tricky & more stripping to facillitate removeal & then smooth replacement...

Left hand rad unbolted & popped off the bottom holder, undo the top clutch holder on the headstock to free the loom...That allows you to feed the big bundles though the gap & have better access to the front coil conector block, also pulled the front cam box to air box hose again for better access...

Now at the rear the bundle & big plugs wont go through the gap between the battery box & the frame, so undo the rear of the under tray pull it down off the subframe & you just about have room to pull it through...Once this far the compleat loom pulls out...

First bolt of strip down at about 12.30 loom on the floor in a heap...13.45...

Headed in for tea & a smoke at this point...

So back out at a bout 14.00 & start feeding in the replacement loom, I start by feeding the rear bundle & the ecu plugs up through the gap & just leave as is for now, then thread the loom up though the gap behind the rad then just let that hang.

Start reconecting in the middle at the thermostat 3 plugs if that all lines up the front to rear has to be roughly in the right place... :thumbup:

One more conector on the left side of the motor the plug in the front coil, then feed the wire along the frontof the motor under the spar, clip in & route the TPS block & the rad switch...

Back to the head stock plug in all the blocks in the bundles & tidy up, then move to the rear just route it & plug in...

As after my recent breakdown I fitted a mossfet R/R I didnt want to chop this loom so I fitted the old RR back on, I can confirm it is fubar as when all up & fitted I checked it on a metre & with the bike running it was only showing 12 V... So I quickly stripped the rear end of Blooo & nicked the brand new Honda finned RR that I had put on that...Blooo can have the mosfet when I get round to it...

Loom all on start rebuilding, subrame & rear plastics, rad bolted back up, heat sheild back in, carbs reseated & tightened. Air box back on & whilst ther made up some new mini filters as mine were falling apart... I used some grey scotchbrite pads, just cut round one of the old filters cut a hole & popped them in... :thumbup: & removed the cloths from the inlets... :wink: lid back on, tank back on...fairing back on...

Quick systems check & all is good...lights all round, indis ect ect.

Tidy up, tools away, bikes back in the Cave shut the door & go in for a smoke & a coffee...At 16.30

Would havew got it done quicker without the break & to keep stopping top clean things before rebuilding...I even wipped the heat sheild over with a damp cloth... :lol: :lol:

Right I'm off for scran & watch the Moto GP...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I bet you could have done that in a darkened room with one hand tied behind your back!
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

At workshop rates you can credit yourself £200 labour! :clap:

I was expecting you at the end to suddenly realise you'd accidentally reinstalled the old loom... :lol:

Yesterday I pondered if the Transalp's roadtax was due as I bought it last May '15. Couldn't find a reminder letter and my iphone App indicated it was lapsed - so looked online and saw it was next due in May '17 - Can't remember renewing it so probably my memory is shot to bits. Image Confusing having multiple vehicles with the all the things to remember.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

I fitted shorter dog bones to jack the back up a bit as the R6 shock seems to make it sit lower, and a wavy disc because I'm a tart. Rear brake is sh1t hot now (more down to a good bleeding than the new disc):

Last edited by Mav617 on Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Well done Mac, it's a bit of a faff fitting a loom. I hope it all ended up nice up front as if you get too much loom bundled up there one may struggle with getting the fairing on.

I have been busy today mostly cleaning. Got all the rear end including engine and sprocket area done. The inside of the sprocket cover was caked in thick grease. I then dug an old Karcher pressure washer out the shed hoping to get it going. Last time I tried it would not work but I managed to fire that up. It turns out it has a break in the electrical wire. So that helped with cleaning up all the grease and sh1t. I then proceeded to start cleaning the patio as it had grease and some old oil spills on it. Well...once I started with that I couldn't stop and ended up cleaning most of the patio and outside the gate onto the footpath :lol: So most of my day was taken up by that. I then decided to make a start with rubbing my headers down. I'm shattered now.

I want to get them headers looking pukka and then I'm going to get some VHT high temp ceramic lacquer so I don't have to keep cleaning them. I may do the same with my rearsets and end cans. I still need to work out how I am going to get the carbon fibre looking Black and shiny again instead of dull. Maybe some 320 or 600 grit wet n dry and then some polish, not sure yet. But that will all be getting some lacquer too. I polished and laquered the dog bone on my shock a while back and that has cleaned up quite well.

I'm sick of all this rubbing down and polishing malarky and want to be able to wash the dirt of the bike and not have dull looking metal and carbon.
SmileyVTR

Post by SmileyVTR »

So this week:
- Fitted new Nitron shock (grrr, and WOW the bike handles so much better and by raising seat height I've much less wrist numbness)
- Fitted new MotorBatt battery as old one packed up and stranded me in Nottingham last week (RAC was awesome, probably helped as he was a biker)
- Sprayed belly pan black from yellow
- Bought pair of rear-sets from Ant (cheers again!), ground off pegs and sprayed black
- Fitted front/rear indicators ("Ryde", £10/pair, very small but bloody bright! So a good replacement for the previous cheap chinese ones)
- Fitted 2 CHEAP tank protectors (dashboard protectors, £1.19 each! Lasted all day so they work) :thumbup:

(got details of some of these changes, I'll create individual posts to help searches)

And today enjoyed the new bike for 9 hours scratching much of the Peak District in this amazing weather. What a day!! :D

Bike mods (shown off at Ladybower Reservoir)

Blue John Cavern road
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Oh look there's a big Dandelion on the grass. LOL

Bikes is looking nice mate. I love the Black belly pan against the Yellow. Looks much better especially as the Wheels are Black too. Some tasteful changes there. :thumbup: