Handlebar conversion done

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mik_str

Handlebar conversion done

Post by mik_str »

With the bike finally sorted (mechanically; HDJ carbs et al) and running better than I had ever hoped for, the last thing I was hoping to fix was what I felt was an overly high vibration level in the bars (not excessive, but worse than it should be IMO). So with this in mind, I ordered a custom top triple from Cognito Moto (see pic below; had holes machined out to 50mm to fit my forks, and had them machine the handlebar clamps too). I then ordered an Ultra-Low Rental handlebar (in red, to match some of the red accents found on the bike). I had ordered a Bar Snake (to reduce vibes) only to find the bars have some kind of polymer insert in them (oh well). I had to trim the fairing ever-so-slightly, relocate the ignition switch (used lower speedo mount) and all is done. So, the riding position is now slightly more upright and further back.

Assuming this works out as hoped, I think the bike is done... :wink: Will post pics later (coming days), it's been raining all day here....

P.S. I tried to vinyl-wrap the forks (black) but ran out of patience, so that will be to do eventually.....

P.P.S. doing some research on this site from people who have done the swap encouraged me to go ahead.....

99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
vtwin goody

Re: Handlebar conversion done

Post by vtwin goody »

It's a great mod mate,done mine recently and loving it :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

The storm comes into its own with flatbars, it's like a big super moto. I would only have clip-ons on a track bike now
Last edited by AMCQ46 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I must admit this is something I've been meaning to try.

I'll be interested to see the photo's Micky, and what you think of the conversion as well :D
There certainly are guys on here who recommend it.

Interesting to hear about the "Bar Snake" I never knew there was such a thing.

The top yoke looks like a nice bit of kit :thumbup:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I think the bike is done... :wink:
And if we believe that we will believe anything :lol: :lol: I'm sure you will find something else to tinker with.

What's a bar Snake? sounds to me like some kind of wrap.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Pics below.

I went for a short ride last evening and was pleasantly surprised by the change. First of all, vibration has been cut by about 70% (mission accomplished). The bike no longer feels semi-frantic at cruising speed (@ 120 km/h) but instead feels as though it's loafing along (until you give the throttle a twist... :twisted: ). On the riding position dimension, the Ultra-Lows (which I cut down by 10mm per side, making them the same width as the previous clip-ons) are only about 1.5" back and 1.5" up (at the ends, mostly due to the backward sweep, the pre-sweep portion being almost the same; remember I was running Apex 4" risers previously). It has given the bike an entirely more leisurely feel, which is great for me as it's a for street use anyhow. Hope to get another ride in today (if Mum Nature doesn't open up the skies again).

Last edited by mik_str on Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vtwin goody

Post by vtwin goody »

good job mate :thumbup:
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

thanks!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Looks good mate, glad it worked for you, well done :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Just got back from another quick ride and love it. It feels like I am riding a mondo dirt bike, lol Wish I had done it sooner....
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote:Just got back from another quick ride and love it. It feels like I am riding a mondo dirt bike, lol Wish I had done it sooner....
Thanks for the photo's Micky :D
Good to hear you're happy with the conversion :thumbup:

You've done a nice job, especially with trimming the fairing, well done.

Your work inspired me to do a bit more with my VTR flat bar conversion this afternoon. I now know completely flat bars won't work with the standard master cylinders :thumbdown: The protruding fork stanchions (the part which sits above the top yoke) are in the way. The reason I was trying fully flat bars was to avoid trimming the fairing, radial master cylinders would probably work :lol:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

sirch345 wrote:
mik_str wrote:Just got back from another quick ride and love it. It feels like I am riding a mondo dirt bike, lol Wish I had done it sooner....

Your work inspired me to do a bit more with my VTR flat bar conversion this afternoon. I now know completely flat bars won't work with the standard master cylinders :thumbdown: The protruding fork stanchions (the part which sits above the top yoke) are in the way. The reason I was trying fully flat bars was to avoid trimming the fairing, radial master cylinders would probably work :lol:

Chris.
Yep, a Magura radial clutch does the job that side and it's hard to argue against a Brembo brake side 18/20 at £200 or so.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

sirch345 wrote:

Chris.
Further to Tony`s suggestions, other options include a stock Ducati radial clutch master (Brembo, 15 x 18 IIRC), which works very well (has lighter action) and can be had for not much money. On the brake side, if you are running stock calipers, a (16x 18) Brembo master as found on various R1s and R6s (ones with 4-piston Sumitomo/Advic calipers) work great (said calipers having same piston sizes as OEM VTR units, ie 27 and 30mm)

Hope this helps.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Yep, a Magura radial clutch does the job that side and it's hard to argue against a Brembo brake side 18/20 at £200 or so.
mik_str wrote:
Further to Tony`s suggestions, other options include a stock Ducati radial clutch master (Brembo, 15 x 18 IIRC), which works very well (has lighter action) and can be had for not much money. On the brake side, if you are running stock calipers, a (16x 18) Brembo master as found on various R1s and R6s (ones with 4-piston Sumitomo/Advic calipers) work great (said calipers having same piston sizes as OEM VTR units, ie 27 and 30mm)

Hope this helps.
Thanks Tony and Micky for your information on radial master cylinders, it's always handy to have this info at hand :thumbup:

I'm not sure yet which route I'll take from here yet,

Chris.