Newbie looking for advice

General Bike chat
Bikemad61

Newbie looking for advice

Post by Bikemad61 »

2000 red firestorm owner, first time V-twin owner, loving the torque though. My question is, sometimes my bike will cut out stopping at the lights, I have heard that it does happen, is there a cure? is it a problem? Other than that it is sweet as a nut, I just couldnt take it if it happened some day beside some dope in his/her nova with a dustbin for an exhaust! Thanks in advance for any help, Tommy :?:
Zer0Zer0

Post by Zer0Zer0 »

Hi there m8..you might need to get the carbs balanced....try upping the tickover a little... mine cuts out at times too ...no biggie 8)
I AM THE STRANGE MAN YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT......
Have a sweetie and stop crying........
[Werthers Original...they never get rid of the taste]
alan

bike cut out

Post by alan »

Its the carb float bowls that flood when you suddenly brake hard there is a mod to fix this on greg nemishs site i would put the link up for you but i dont know how
Alan
alan

carb cut out

Post by alan »

Err come again!!!!!!!

I can build computers and fix bikes but things like that are over my head the wife wants a website for her siamese cats but i have been trying for the last shall we say years!!!
Alan
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Just type or paste the address bar text for the target page in tags.

e.g. if I wanted to post a link to here, I'd use the tags with the page in between, like this:

[url*]http://www.vtr1000.org[/url*] (note *'s added so it displays properly. take these out for real)

if it's a long address, you can use [url*=http://www.vtr1000.org]TYPE HERE A NAME[/url*] (same deal with the stars)

the first one would make this for real:

http://www.vtr1000.org

the second this:

TYPE HERE A NAME

you can also use the grey button (found at the top of the "post reply" screen) as Kaz was explaining, (click the "URL" button and you'll see it adds the [url] tag for you, click it again for the end tag) but I find it better practice just to use tags (so you learn them eventually)
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
alan

carb fix

Post by alan »

See Kitch has confused me now im getting all Leeds United with my keyboard. Heres the web add

http://home.nycap.rr.com/ghlbo/index.html.

the mod is under carb fix
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

^^^ works fine if you take the full stop off the end after "html"
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

alan

link

Post by alan »

Thanks guys and gals :D
xxxrated

Post by xxxrated »

mine was doing that when i first bought my bike, cutting out on decelleration at lights. realised it was the rubber seal on the choke stopping it from retracting fully :oops:
Zer0Zer0

Post by Zer0Zer0 »

hmmmm.. if it was the carb floats flooding when braking hard. i would never get round a race track??? yes --no?
I AM THE STRANGE MAN YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT......
Have a sweetie and stop crying........
[Werthers Original...they never get rid of the taste]
Bikemad61

Post by Bikemad61 »

:D Cheers for the help VTR people, having my carbs balanced next week, let you know how I get on :?:
alan

Post by alan »

Zer0Zer0 wrote:hmmmm.. if it was the carb floats flooding when braking hard. i would never get round a race track??? yes --no?
Hi zerozero i dont think it cuts out just on hard braking it has happened to me a couple of times when i first got the bike now owned it for 3 to 4 yrs and it rarely happens or i might be used to the bike now going from 4 cylinder to 2
But there has been a few people on hear ask the same question and they have all cut out coming upto junctions or braking a little too hard.

When i came across the mod on Gregs site and i have seen it elsewhere im was sure it wasnt me and its the carb fix mod