what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
Geoff S

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by Geoff S »

Replaced the knackered front head that spat its spark plug out at the end of last year (well I replaced the head about 6 weeks ago). :D

Just in time to crash my old fireblade at Snetteron. :(

Then the front brakes develop a wobble so strip them down. :( One sticky piston sorted and a slightly warped brake disc but still usable for now :)

Clutch slave cylinder starts leaking :( Replaced the seals over the weekend and we are good to go again :D

Engine starts rattling at the back :( Apparently my mate says it has been doing that for a while but normally ride with ear plugs so haven't heard it!! Just checked the ccts and the valve clearances and nowt wrong there. the exhausts valve are at the bottom end of tolerance but that shouldn't rattle I wouldn't have thought. :? I have tightened all the exhaust joins just in case there is a leak that sounds like a rattle. Hopefully that should magically fix it. Sounds alright at tickover but we shall see on the next ride.

And today I finally replaced the left heel plate that I broke when I kicked the bike when it spat the spark plug out leaving me stranded!! :D :D :D :D :Ball Kick:

If I didn't like it so much I would set fire to it!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Started sorting out the garage ,sorting out the good stuff from the bad !
Keep your eyes open in the next week on the sales page ;-)
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

a swift 106 miles yesterday, i am amazed at the amount of cars that move for a white bike, I seem to have uncluttered traffic ahead etc. Off the Devon tomorrow for 3 days.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Stick an ex old bill fluorescent jacket on for double the effect. :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

the last 2 days or so have seen me do the following.
flushed engine oil, tomorrow will be the 4th and final flush fingers crossed
fixed issues with the brake lights
fitted 100% brighter headlight bulb
fitted another horn
fixed issues with both front indicators
resprayed the wheels again, the lacquer was peeling off.
fitted new tyres
lubed and adjusted the chain
bled the front brakes
lots of torqueing of nuts n bolts
charged up the battery
fingers crossed it'll be mot time tomorrow
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Why were you flushing the oil agent p?
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

VTR Phoenix wrote:Why were you flushing the oil agent p?
the engine had sat unused for over a year and had got some condensation build up in it, just thought it best to flush it through before putting in fresh oil.
so far I've used 5ltrs of unbranded new oil from Halfords, and another 7ltrs of old bike engine oil from previous oil changes, that engine flush additive takes some getting rid off.
new motul oil coming tomorrow.
a friend has mentioned using 1ltr of oil and 3ltrs of diesel. run the bike to between 50 and 60c, turn it off and empty it out. but i'm not sure if that will mean having to start the running through of more old oil to get rid of all the diesel again.
hmmmmm what to do
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

I'm assuming you fire it up each time to circulate the oil or is it just turn over with no plugs and drain?
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

VTR Phoenix wrote:I'm assuming you fire it up each time to circulate the oil or is it just turn over with no plugs and drain?
run it up to 100+c then engine off and drain it out, if I do the diesel idea, i'll only run the bike to 50/60c then turn it off and drain it out.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

My concern using the diesel would be auto ignition? I've never tried it but I know it is ignited through heat (around 52c and up) Don't know what the 1ltr of oil would do to stop this happening.

If the bike is run up, cooled down etc then this would just lead to condensation in the motor as well. Would it not be more cost effective and worthwhile maybe running it up the once and then on the oil change taking it for a 50 mile run?

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to tell you how to suck eggs or anything, just wondering if there is an alternative, bearing in mind I haven't done this before myself as the motors I've put in I've always rebuilt first so never got one up and running out of storage so to speak.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

agentpineapple wrote:
VTR Phoenix wrote:Why were you flushing the oil agent p?
the engine had sat unused for over a year and had got some condensation build up in it, just thought it best to flush it through before putting in fresh oil.
so far I've used 5ltrs of unbranded new oil from Halfords, and another 7ltrs of old bike engine oil from previous oil changes, that engine flush additive takes some getting rid off.
new motul oil coming tomorrow.
a friend has mentioned using 1ltr of oil and 3ltrs of diesel. run the bike to between 50 and 60c, turn it off and empty it out. but i'm not sure if that will mean having to start the running through of more old oil to get rid of all the diesel again.
hmmmmm what to do
I would just put new oil in, and change it after 1500 miles. If there is any condensate water, it will evaporate. New oil will clean the engine, but I don't believe it will happen after one warm up ...
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

diesel will wash all the shite out for sure. personally, id just do 2 oil changes, Hlaforxs oil for 500 miles then Motul. I wouldn't use diesel at all.
However its your bike!
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I think running engine dry (initial startup) more than necessary after oil change will do more harm than questinable cleaning effect. Regarding diesel in oil, there is always some old oil staying in the engine, and will be mixed with new one. So the new oil will be contaminated.

I would just use the same oil all the time, and shorten the 1st change. If engine was not opened during the time not operating, there is nothing what can make it more dirty ...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Just stick new bike semi synth in and be done with it. It will be OK. :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Change the oil and then take it for a long ride and give it a bit of a caning.

Then change the oil and filter while it is still hot.

Do another change in 500 miles and you should be good to go!
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia