Smokin'

General Bike chat
VTR Phoenix

Re: Smokin'

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Ignore what I said about pressure drop, I'm getting my compression tester and leak down tester mixed up. It's the leakdown tester that will drop
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

If your not far from me I have a leakdown tester and a compressor if you don't have one
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

I'm in Gloucester or Glawsterrrrr if your local and into Rugby. D.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

VTR Phoenix wrote:If your not far from me I have a leakdown tester and a compressor if you don't have one
I would be happy to collect convenient to yourself. D.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Richard wrote:
VTR Phoenix wrote:If your not far from me I have a leakdown tester and a compressor if you don't have one
Not close then I'm in slough
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

i have got a compression tester and adapter... M5 near worcester any good
AMcQ
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

AMCQ46 wrote:i have got a compression tester and adapter... M5 near worcester any good
Would you be prepared to lend I could collect one evening to suit. D.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

VTR Phoenix wrote:
Richard wrote:
Not close then I'm in slough
Ah just a tad far, thankyou for the offer and the recent advice, appreciated. D
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Richard wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote:i have got a compression tester and adapter... M5 near worcester any good
yes, happy to lend, can post if that helps
AMcQ
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

AMCQ46 wrote:
Richard wrote:
yes, happy to lend, can post if that helps
Would prefer to collect pm me you address and what evening would suit.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

No worries at all.

I don't believe it's a compression tester you want it's a leak down tester. If you've got both plugs wet with oil then you've got issues with both cylinders. All a compression tester will tell you is you've got low compression. That I think you can guess already. A leak down tester will tell you where you are losing the compression.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Just a quick note on the valve stem oil seals. If you do replace them then don't be tempted to go down the pattern part route, buy genuine Honda. There is a couple of though difference between the inlets and exhaust and the pattern parts don't account for this. Hopefully it's not worn guides otherwise it going to be a right faff and will most likely require a machine shop. You may want to consider transplanting another head on but you need to rule out rings :eek2 On the plus side it is real easy to remove the heads on these bikes. It's just the expense of parts including head gaskets and the time to do the work. You will require a valve spring compressor too but be methodical with the cam caps, cams, springs, buckets and shims etc and make sure they all go back in the same place they came from as they will have all worn in together.
==============================Enter the Darkside
popkat

Post by popkat »

If your valve stem seals are leaking the bike should still run, you'll get some smoke a few seconds after start up (but not always) and it'll smoke on the overrun, if it smokes all the time I can't see them being the problem..

Try turning it over on the starter with the plugs out to clear any muck and oil from the top of the pistons, clean the plugs then put them back in and try starting it again. if it starts then look for smoke, if it's chuffing it could be the oil scraper rings.

For it not to start compression would be very low, if had engines up to 75psi down on cylinder pressure that still started, also lots of oil on the pistons would help seal the rings not make it worse.

I think your plugs fouled could be the starting problem.

Here's a possibility, the Choke circuit blocked or the chokes stuck open, this would cause rich running and lead it to conk out, if smoke is grey it could be the over fuelling causing it.

Easy to try all that so worth a go.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

popkat wrote:If your valve stem seals are leaking the bike should still run, you'll get some smoke a few seconds after start up (but not always) and it'll smoke on the overrun, if it smokes all the time I can't see them being the problem..

Try turning it over on the starter with the plugs out to clear any muck and oil from the top of the pistons, clean the plugs then put them back in and try starting it again. if it starts then look for smoke, if it's chuffing it could be the oil scraper rings.

For it not to start compression would be very low, if had engines up to 75psi down on cylinder pressure that still started, also lots of oil on the pistons would help seal the rings not make it worse.

I think your plugs fouled could be the starting problem.

Here's a possibility, the Choke circuit blocked or the chokes stuck open, this would cause rich running and lead it to conk out, if smoke is grey it could be the over fuelling causing it.

Easy to try all that so worth a go.

Thanks will do so plugs very very wet..D.

Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

What is the actual and suspected mileage of the motor.... mmm ? :problem: