CCT Failure

General Bike chat
Troutman

Re: CCT Failure

Post by Troutman »

Wicky wrote:There should be a metal cap on the end of the old OEM CCT - check it's not stuck in the hole if it didn't come out with the original CCT. Instead of a gasket (seperate part no.) you can use instant silicone gasket. Or simply order a pair from Honda.

Instructions for installing are in the workshop knowledgebase as well as measurements for making the special 'key'.
I think the cap is stuck to the slide inside. Could it fall off and a full strip down required? How is it fitted to the black bung thing anyway..glue?
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

Anyone? What is this metal cap? Has mine fallen off down into the engine..how does it fit to a domed rubber bung thing anyway?

(11) Clean off mating surfaces, fit new gasket and new CCT, (they come already retracted) once fully tightened up you can release the CCT plunger making sure it unwinds slowly until full tension is released, then remove tensioning tool and re-fit sealing washer and bolt, then re-fit cam cover. REMEMBER TO TAKE THE METAL CAPS OFF THE OLD CCT PLUNGER HEADS AND FIT ONTO THE NEW ONES, AS THE NEW ONES ARE NOT SUPPLIED WITH THEM!!!!!!.

New and old CCT's ..no metal cap
Is this it? stuck to the slider inside the engine?
Last edited by Troutman on Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

No that's not it, that is juts the bit that the CCT plunger pushes upon on the.....argh I'm tired and my mind has gone blank, what do you call them. The thing that looks like a wiper blade and pushes against the chain. sh1t 8O what's wrong with, Am I getting early onset of alzheimer's. Tensioner blade,, that's it :lol: The metal cap is on the end of the CCT plungers and shaped like a shower cap. It's only popped on over the end and is held on by pressure so there maybe a bit of sticktion involved holding it in place. Should be easy to pop off with screwdriver blade.

Remember to set the cylinders to the compression or even exhaust stroke before removing the old CCT''s. You want the chain at it slackest point. Or very gingerlly remove the old CCT a bit at a time so pressure is released off the chain slowly and does not jump.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

Oh dear god! Mine must have fallen off and gone down into the crank case. What a royal pain in the ass.

Had a look at the old CCT and it looks like there was no cap! There is an obvious indent in the rubber thing which matches the part you can see through the CCT hole on the chain guide.
Last edited by Troutman on Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

No, it can't fall down inside, there's not enough room.
If the old one hasn't got a cap it just means that the police or the mechanic didn't swap it over last time.
To check, look at the rubber tip on the old one, if it has a round indentation then it didn't have a cap- there's a round stub on the reverse of the blade that the cap acts on.
The cap holds itself on with two little holes that tiny angled sticky out bits of rubber on the plunger poke into.
It can't fall off.
Someone will have a couple of spares, I might have some but I'm away this weekend.
Bazza? Got some in your scrap bin?
Running about engine without the cap doesn't cause any problems, I've pulled out dozens when fitting manuals that don't have the cap and the engine runs and behaves perfectly well.
But the action will be better with a smooth metal to metal contact.
The cap is steel, so if you don't believe me you could poke around with a magnet on a stick to see if you can find it, but you won't.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

Posted at the same time Tony..you're right, I couldn't see any sign of it down in the engine and I never heard anything falling down when I took it out.
If anyone has a spare one I'd be very grateful.
The rear CCT does have a cap on it, I can see it.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i have a spare one. the wee metal hat? . pm me your addy and il post it first thing monday.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

fabiostar wrote:i have a spare one. the wee metal hat? . pm me your addy and il post it first thing monday.
Don't you need that for when your out on the horse's...hehehehehe
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

MacV2 wrote:
fabiostar wrote:i have a spare one. the wee metal hat? . pm me your addy and il post it first thing monday.

lmao cheeky fuker :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Don't forget that the CCT plunger is under tension against the tensioner blade too so the likely hood of it falling off is very slim if not impossible. Maybe they have been changed in the past and nobody put the caps on the new CCT's. That would be a more likely explanation so don't panic. :thumbup:
That would be the wee willie. :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Troutman wrote:Oh dear god! Mine must have fallen off and gone down into the crank case. What a royal pain in the ass.

Had a look at the old CCT and it looks like there was no cap! There is an obvious indent in the rubber thing which matches the part you can see through the CCT hole on the chain guide.
I have seen a rubber plunger head split where the metal caps have been missing, so I'm glad you are intending to be getting some before fitting these CCT's,

Chris.
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

Fabiostar is sending me one out on Monday. What a guy.
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

So last night I finally managed to get everything back together after having to remove the airbox again because I forgot to connect the throttle cables. That's probably the fiddliest part of doing this, trying to connect the two breather pipes at the front left of the box and get the spring clip on.
Anyway I put the tank back on, again quite fiddly getting all the pipes back on (5 in total), I turned it over to get the fuel in and guess what? IT STARTED UP AND RAN PERFECT ..get in there :thumbup:
I feel very lucky about the result and a big thanks to SIRCH, CARL and FABIOSO for sending me the spare cap.
Can't wait to get the old girl back on the road but i'm away now for a few days so it'll have to wait. So happy :D
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

good work there :thumbup:
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'm pleased to hear all went well, well done :thumbup:

Chris.