Quick Shifter

General Bike chat
oldbikeman

Quick Shifter

Post by oldbikeman »

I have never seen one of these working and I'm guessing that it cuts the ignition and pushes the gear mechanism up whilst you hold the throttle open.Am I close? ,is the clutch required? and I imagine it only works on up shifts.Are they good in operation?
THANKS
tony.mon

Re: Quick Shifter

Post by tony.mon »

Although possible, they're of limited value on a storm.
they work much better on fuel injected bikes, where a unit can briefly interrupt the spark and at the same time operate a cutout on fuelling as well, in one direction, but an option is to use a blipper unit to (er) blip the throttle for downchanges, too.

The times of cut can be adjusted to suit the application, bike, rider and normal use.

But on a Storm, you only have ignition cutting as an option, for upshifts only.

Might just as well just do clutchless changes.

But if you are still determined, check out HM Racing's strain gauge based one.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

yes your image is correct. there is a load cell fitted into the gear shift rod, and as you start to make a gear change the ignition is cut for a preset period allowing the gearbox to unload and the gears to change up.

old drag bikes use a compressed air cyl to allow putton press gear changing, so when you pressed the button it cut the ign and fired a pnumatic cylinder to move the gear shift.

I havnt tried one, so cant comment on anyother aspects
AMcQ
Richy

Post by Richy »

I had one about 14 yrs ago on my bandit 12 (wow, I now feel old..) The one I had was a micro switch that had to faff about with to get it precisely right so that on the up selection it cut the ignition for a very short period to unload the transmission so the gear lever seemed to seamlessly change up. Most of the time it worked a treat, didn't even need to be on full throttle, you could just pull up on the gear lever to change up.

The sort with the air cylinder to change gear were (and prob still are) really expensive, not sure if they'd be that much use on the road unless you had a way to recharge the supply cylinder whilst in motion.
oldbikeman

Post by oldbikeman »

Thanks Guys
Due to being daft I have the onset of gout in my left foot due to kicking a traffic cone whilst on a 250 when i was 17 .I had watched 5 of my mates send them up in to the air but mine had a weight in it .I only have trouble on up shifts lifting the lever .I will have to look at some sort of air shift system to get around it.
Thanks
jono49

Post by jono49 »

oldbikeman wrote:Thanks Guys
Due to being daft I have the onset of gout in my left foot due to kicking a traffic cone whilst on a 250 when i was 17 .I had watched 5 of my mates send them up in to the air but mine had a weight in it .I only have trouble on up shifts lifting the lever .I will have to look at some sort of air shift system to get around it.
Thanks
I may have just the thing for you to help!!!! It's called a Kliktronic gear shifter for people with limited movement in their Left leg/foot I'ts push button on the bars, and can work on a carb bike but you have to get the timing right......I know where there is a S/H one for sale!! It come off my old mates 04 Blade! He passed away last year, ( Ride free old pal ) and His widow is hoping to sell some stuff this season now she can cope with the idea, I'll try and get some pics posted..........Would you be interested???

http://www.kliktronic.co.uk/
oldbikeman

Post by oldbikeman »

I am well impressed that this kit exists ,what a marvel !I have no doubt this stuff even used would be pretty expensive kit and would make my life much better but I cannot commit myself as yet .If still available in a few months time then I will be interested.
Thanks
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Anyone know of anyone who's made a QS work off the side stand switch? I've read a few posts on various forums that claim it's possible, including a bloke on the Superhawk forum.

My bike has one fitted but the previous owner didn't get on with it so cable tied it out of the way - it was activated by the selector arm. I've left it like that while I work out if it's possible or worth messing with trying to make it work. I can't see any additional wiring/circuitry so I suspect that mine is just a micro switch connected to the side stand wires.

In which case it'll simply kill the engine and rely on it bump starting once the gear is selected and the circuit's open again. Right??

That doesn't sound ideal and some reading suggests some sort of breaker circuit can be bought or made that would kill the ignition for microseconds.

I'm not fast and as Tony has pointed out on another post, perfecting clutchless changes is probably a better and easier option. This is more about making an existing mod work properly than saving time on a track.
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

I have a HealTech iQSE-2 quick shifter, been meaning to do a write-up for a while as it's been a bit of a mission.

Overall, it works well now. Due to my testing, feedback and subsequent updates, you should have less trouble than I did if you get one :biggrin
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

jono49 wrote:
oldbikeman wrote:Thanks Guys
Thanks
I may have just the thing for you to help!!!! It's called a Kliktronic gear shifter for people with limited movement in their Left leg/foot I'ts push button on the bars, and can work on a carb bike but you have to get the timing right......I know where there is a S/H one for sale!! It come off my old mates 04 Blade! He passed away last year, ( Ride free old pal ) and His widow is hoping to sell some stuff this season now she can cope with the idea, I'll try and get some pics posted..........Would you be interested???

http://www.kliktronic.co.uk/
Wow thanks for that link. I may be needing one of these if there ever comes a day where they fuse my ankle..
==============================Enter the Darkside
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

heard my first quick shifter on a zx10 on dyno at copdock at the weekend and it got me thinking and talking to my boy about them.
this made me do a search on google and this page came up :lol:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Looking for answers and you came up short eh. :D

It doesn't seem to be a mod that's easy without spending proper cash: electronics and programing - dark arts.
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

This is the one I've got on my VTR
https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/qse/

Bought it through Rob de Hoo on Facebook for £210.
Worth noting the VTR one is NOT plug and play, you have to splice into the ECU a bit. Was using it all day at Oulton recently and it was faultless.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

the BMW i used in sardinia had quick shifter fitted and I loved it, more the the sound of the engine as you bang up the gears just hoping slightly and driving power again in a milisecond. even using it in town just for the noise
AMcQ
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

TravisZack wrote:This is the one I've got on my VTR
https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/qse/

Bought it through Rob de Hoo on Facebook for £210.
Worth noting the VTR one is NOT plug and play, you have to splice into the ECU a bit. Was using it all day at Oulton recently and it was faultless.
I'd found these through searching. They're about the cheapest around. Good to know there's some experience with them on here. Might well add onto the winter mod list.