The Varastorm Dyno run (VTR cams)

Just post charts and set up details.
Varastorm

Re: The Varastorm Dyno run (VTR cams)

Post by Varastorm »

Right then, I've been to see Paul the Dyno guy today for another run.

I was hoping to see if the Dyno Jet mains idea had worked :thumbdown:

Remember, all I've done since the last run is increased the mains.

From Keihin 175F & Keihin 178R. To DynoJet 185F & DynoJet 190R.

It was feeling good too tbh & I was looking foreword to breaking the 110bhp barrier.

But when I saw the pc screen after the runs, I was shocked & pi$$ed off to say the least.

It's lost 5bhp all across the range & the afr has changed from 12.8ish afr to 11.5ish afr :(

Finishing with 103.something BHP.

The printer was down so no print out yet to show you guys, but I'll take a photo next time I'm there.

Looks as if I'll be phoning Allens tomorrow for a Keihin 180 main after all :roll: :lol: :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That must have been a rather frustrating dyno run, when your seat-of-the-pants dyno was saying different.
As least you know where you are now, especially with the AFR. Hopefully for you, your Keihin main jets, if you decide to go for them will help,

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Did you get this sorted, what was the final setup?
==============================Enter the Darkside
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

cybercarl wrote:Did you get this sorted, what was the final setup?
It's still an on going project Carl, I was fed-up to say the least after the last dyno run & it did take a lot of wind out of my carb tuning sails.

I did get the Keihin 180 rear jet in the end & have since fitted a 178 front/180 rear. I am also still running the much debated filed needles :roll: which are working very well tbh. Popin'n banging on the over run rules & 170 miles to the tank when hammering it is great too.

I've managed to get a newish set of carbs of eBay & I'm planning to jet a set for road use & a set for track. I have a feeling that I might be losing a little low end power from the leanish cruising 4-6000 rpm range. Only a dyno run will tell though :lol:

Carb fiddling aside, I've still been busy fiddling & purchasing various bit's n pieces, but feel that I have hit the ceiling when it comes to using Std parts for power gains. I still hope to break the 110bhp target I initially set myself & haven't given up on using oem parts to do it.

On the plus side, I've managed to get my hands on a set of new Kibblewhite valve springs & a new set of Falicon vernier timing gears. All I need now are high lift cams.....the "long" search is on :roll:

I've also fitted/converted to a "530" DID Gold chain, using an unbroken Blackbird item with a 44 tooth Super-sprox rear & CBR 929 15 tooth front. I am also looking for a Renthal/Afam Yamaha R6 (5EB) rear 48 tooth for track days. They're also 530 & use the same pcd to mount.

I have also been looking into shortening the wheel base by using a VTR swing arm. The side to side measurements lines up spot on (avoiding the exhaust), but the similarities end there. The lower engine casings are different on the Varadero to the VTR so linkage mounting issues are problematic. So that's on hold also....

After fitting a fork brace on the front & reaping the rewards, I went about looking at fitting one to the rear. I purchased another Varadero swing arm & a Yamaha R6 (5EB) swing arm. I then removed the brace, cut & ground (Flap wheeled) to fit & ready to weld on. It fitted like a glove on the spare Varadero swing arm, but when I removed the hugger on the bike to see if it worked... Nooooo... Looking at it, It would hit the subframe under compression. Total waste of time & money :thumbdown: So back to looking at an under slung item :thumbup:

Now summer is well & truly here, I've just fitted some part worn x track Pirelli Super Corsa's on to a CBR600f3 front & CBR 900 rear ( both 5 spoke) & fitted them. I'm a bit piffed off as the rear is a 180/60/17. The higher 60 instead of a 55 profile touches the hugger 8O So it's been removed until I can think of something. If only the R6 brace fitted, as it has a hugger fitted to it.

Now your back, it'll give me a bit more motivation to Dyno it again. I'll update soon :thumbup:

Here's where I am atm :D

Sorry for banging on & really good to hear from you again.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You didn't bang on as you put it for me, I enjoyed reading what you have been up to Phil :thumbup:
It's like most things when it comes to modifying bikes, sometimes things just don't work, but when they do there's not many feeling of happiness that come close, keep up the good work :clap:

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

That looks a bundle of fun vara :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Thanks for the detailed update. You have been busy 8O Shame about the swingarm but sometimes we have to try these things. Interesting info on the casing mounts being different, it's always nice to find out the differences with Vara.

The adjustable cam sprockets was a good find and will give you some room to play even with the standard cams there's room for a little advancement but it's the lift and duration that is going to be the one and finding cams, well...I wish you luck with that. But they do crop up from time to time otherwise there's webcamshafts.com in the states. Neither is going to be cheap though. Only one problem..you will be back in messing with carbs again afterwards. :lol: It's never ending is it mate.

Don't feel too bad about the last dyno. I know your after numbers but it's not just about that. More importantly it's how it rides and feels. 110 for a Vara or even a Storm for that matter would be impressive. Your bike is looking really nice. I could be tempted to a Vara myself, especially with that mileage per tank. Probably better seating position for my dodgy leg and and ankle too. That's if I could swing my leg over, its bit taller at the back. How easy is it to whip the tank off and get at the carbs?

My Storm is a sad state of affairs. I'm fed up with how the British weather attacks bikes and I have lost the heart to keep clean and polishing bits. She's mechanicaly sound, but the bodywork needs a a bit of repair and a total respray. It may even get the reputation that Tony's storm got for never being cleaned. :roll: Got some Carbon Two Bro's to replace the Arata's that got smashed up. I cut them up to rescue the packing out them the other day, gotta love angle grinding TI :lol: I also kept the end caps as I may try and fit them to the Two Brothers, I think they may fit. I spent ages polishing the end caps on the Two Brothers when I first got them, but now they look all dull and have got that horrible weathered salty look to them. I'm not too keen on the oval outlet either as I can't fit baffles. Which are handy from time to time. Not a lot as Paul Daniels used to say, but I like to have the option.

Anyway that's a long enough reply. It's good to be back and catch up with everyone. Seems a little quite here. :beer:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Been to the Dyno yesterday to see if I had reached my goal of 110bhp. I thought I might of with me fitting Brand new VTR carbs. Only change is they're fitted with Keihin 178F & 180R.

Quick answer is no I never :roll: :thumbdown: Must try harder :lol:

Green line is Varadero cams with VTR carbs.

Blue line is VTR cams with VTR carbs fitted with Dynojet 185F 190R

Red line is VTR cams with New VTR carbs fitted with Keihin 178F 180R (ignore the comment on the sheet)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

High comp pistons...go on you know you want to :biggrin

Interesting results there. 108 is very good especially as it's a Vara. :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

and its a nice straight power curve, should be happy with that on the road
AMcQ
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

cybercarl wrote:High comp pistons...go on you know you want to :biggrin

Interesting results there. 108 is very good especially as it's a Vara. :thumbup:
I would love a set of HC pistons Carl, knowing full well that when they've gone they'll be like mythical Moriwaki parts to obtain.
AMCQ46 wrote:and its a nice straight power curve, should be happy with that on the road
I'm very happy with 108.3 bhp, don't forget the .3 guys :roll: :lol: but I was hoping for that elusive 110. Especially now it's back to 120 miles till the orange light of doom shines.

After copying Stephan & replacing the two long stacks with the oem unequal items. I was 100% sure it gave me more midrange & a little bit more up top, that's why I ran her on the dyno again.

There's a massive boost midrange though 6'ish bhp @ 6000rpm feels like a lot more tbh & that's just from leaning her out a bit.

I've changed it a bit today, I've gone for 175 Front, 178 Rear & removed the washers from under the oem needles.

Also fitted modified modified Ducati trumpets same height as the oem items but with the bigger radius.

Oh, & a free flow filter to lean her out again :wink:

Too many changes at once tbh, but considering It took me close on 5 years to finally dial in the crappy last set I thought I'd hurry things up a little :lol: :thumbup:
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

i have just found my dyno print out when i had two brothers cans, but cut down as low levels and k/n filter and 190 jets if i can email it to anyone to put up( if anyone is intrested :lol: )
i did have another one before this with 172 jets in and it was 101.1bhp
and with 190 jets in it took it to 106.6bhp
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

will someone please put me down slowly :Hang:
i have not read all this topic and have just noticed the heading
VARASTORM
i am a :Richard:
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Varastorm wrote:
cybercarl wrote:High comp pistons...go on you know you want to :biggrin

I would love a set of HC pistons Carl, knowing full well that when they've gone they'll be like mythical Moriwaki parts to obtain.
AMCQ46 wrote:and its a nice straight power curve, should be happy with that on the road
I'm very happy with 108.3 bhp, don't forget the .3 guys :roll: :lol: but I was hoping for that elusive 110. Especially now it's back to 120 miles till the orange light of doom shines.

After copying Stephan & replacing the two long stacks with the oem unequal items. I was 100% sure it gave me more midrange & a little bit more up top, that's why I ran her on the dyno again.

There's a massive boost midrange though 6'ish bhp @ 6000rpm feels like a lot more tbh & that's just from leaning her out a bit.

I've changed it a bit today, I've gone for 175 Front, 178 Rear & removed the washers from under the oem needles.

Also fitted modified modified Ducati trumpets same height as the oem items but with the bigger radius.

Oh, & a free flow filter to lean her out again :wink:

Too many changes at once tbh, but considering It took me close on 5 years to finally dial in the crappy last set I thought I'd hurry things up a little :lol: :thumbup:
Come on, to get new HC pistons is not a problem, look at my thread in pimp my ride :) The biggest probkem is to find shop or person who will do new fresh bore to cylinders in crankcase. New pistons 98.5mm and 11.3 CR from CP pistons are in place already, you can just order.

So this red line is with oem stacks? If yes, it is very promising for me, I hope I will manage dyno run too this year.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Stephan wrote:Come on, to get new HC pistons is not a problem, look at my thread in pimp my ride The biggest probkem is to find shop or person who will do new fresh bore to cylinders in crankcase. New pistons 98.5mm and 11.3 CR from CP pistons are in place already, you can just order.
I have no problem fitting them, it's the paying for them that's the issue :lol:
Stephan wrote:So this red line is with oem stacks? If yes, it is very promising for me, I hope I will manage dyno run too this year.
Yep, the red line is Keihin 178F & 180R mains with standard trumpets :thumbup: