Ran out of talent on a bend...

General Bike chat
roasty_duck

Ran out of talent on a bend...

Post by roasty_duck »

Yes i did it on a public road, yes im a moron for doing so, and yes i could have hurt someone else.. trust me ive learnt from this!

coming up this hill at 80-85

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.09523 ... 312!8i6656

ive done it a million times, stuck my knee out.. had a little drag and then suddenly my rear wheel let go.. wombles...

i slid for a bit.. then i started to roll... my left arm dislocated and began flapping around like a ragdoll was hilarious, managed to grab my arm and hold it in for the rest of the rolling..

finally came to a stop and laid on the floor wondering how badass it looked and how i was alive, tried to get up but obviously left arm was wombles and i ended up just spinning round on my knee slider failing so 2 guys helped me up.. by grabbing me under my arms.. which then put my left shoulder back in.. sort of... looked up to see bike had gone miles up the road and come to a stop against a roadside barrier.

limped home and went to hospital who said go to a&e my arms not in properly...

yay.

4 hours later i was discharged in a metric wombles ton of pain.

damage to bike:
screen and fairing on right side, bar end, mirror exploded, exhaust ground down, indicator wombles.. so all in all.. not bad!

damage to me:
Road rash on my right arm, left arm dislocation, cut on my left hand, cut and bruising on right hand.

damage to leathers: wombles worn through in places.

red where i slid out and blue where bike stopped, i was about half way between the 2.

disclaimer: i know i was as stupid Hippo, i paid the price, lucky not to have deaded myself.
KermitLeFrog

Re: Ran out of talent on a bend...

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Ow!

Really good advert for wearing leathers though. Glad you're OK (ish)
xxx
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Bad news Roasty but glad you're mostly okay and sure you can fix the bike up in no time (with two good arms) :D
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Phew!
Sounds like a lucky escape. The leathers don't look too bad considering. Not many get to walk away with a 85 mph off on the highway :thumbup:
Did you notice anything on the road (other than your a$$) which might of caused it, or were you just a little too quick for the day?

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

You got off fairly light considering the 80/85 mph.Quality leathers make all the difference in a spill like that.The bike can be fixed and you will heal eventually,but bad luck all the same.Makes me feel lucky to have 9 points,that certainly slows me down.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
roasty_duck

Post by roasty_duck »

leathers certainly did their job!
i think the road temperature was to blame (ignoring the speed) it had been wet in the morning but dry in the afternoon so i think it was a bit too cold for those speeds
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

[youtube][/youtube]
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

sh1t....you got off lightly mate. Very lucky indeed. Yeh the leathers have saved you but if that was a busy road or there was more street furniture to crash into rather than a simple slide and tumble like being on track things would be very different. Count your blessings. It's best not to put too much trust in any protective gear we wear as it gives us a sense of it's OK to go a bit crazy because we have protection. Wrong...it gives a certain element of protection in certain situations. Look what I done at less than half the speed you was doing when I got mangled around island and lampost in the middle of a busy road.

I'm not saying don't go out without protection. Just don't let it illusify (is that a word) things. Glad to see you relatively OK.
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

OUCH...but at least you walked away........ some days its better to be lucky than smart
AMcQ
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

sorry to hear about your off mate, glad to hear that it hasn't damaged your sense of humour :lol:
hope the pain buggers off asap.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I know it would have been better if this had not happened, but you were one lucky guy to get away with that as well as you have.
As already been mentioned, the leathers certainly helped save you when they were needed.

A very good lesson for the rest of us, to remind us that the weather is cooling down, so tyre temperatures we had in the summer are not being reached now.

Wishing you well in getting better, I'm glad it wasn't any worse, although I bet it shook you up,

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Sorry to hear about your off mate. Hope you mend quickly
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
roasty_duck

Post by roasty_duck »

cheers guys, lesson definitely learnt.. even if it was the hard way, thankful i didnt become a piece of roadside art in the form of flowers.
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

Jesus man. I will take that as a lesson. It's colder that a witches rocks out here and I been doing 120 k plus. mid seventies in mph. No leather on my lower as I just aint got em yet. Lucky I read this. That corner looks gentle compared to this stuff. I will slow it down thanks to you. If you want a lightly dinged factory indicator. Id give one to you from japan when my new ones come. Its scratched from a drop but not done in.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

while i totally symathise, your outrageous avatar clearly shouts "LOONY" :lol: be careful, i hate the days when its dry and then you go under trees and its still wet. ( and i live in the forrest) i had a few wiggly butt end trying to overtake the front scenario,s. and it shits me right up :lol: however i have a laugh say i will slow down and get to a dry bit again, then trees lol. the world is cruel :lol:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!