Power Commander 5 on SP-2 - Crank Position Sensors?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VTR_Dude

Power Commander 5 on SP-2 - Crank Position Sensors?

Post by VTR_Dude »

Hello Peeps,
I bought a PC5 at the NEC last week to smooth out the low RPM a bit on the SP-2. I even got a discount :D
I came to fit it today and removed the left fairing, seats and raised the tank as per the instructions. I found the main connector just under the tank as stated, but there is also a second connector that just about reaches the front of the left radiator - The instructions say it should be connected to the Crank Position Sensor, there is a picture showing the connection just above the horn. The picture looks like the horn is on the opposite side of the bike to mine and the cable wouldn't reach, maybe this is an American model? (The instructions are for an RC-51) I have looked in the workshop manual and can't find any reference to a CPS on the bike.
I ran out of time tonight, but I am going to take the front fairing off tomorrow to see if I can see it.
Just wondering if anyone has done this before and can give me any tips. I have run out of talent :D
Any advice welcome :thumbup:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: Power Commander 5 on SP-2 - Crank Position Sensors?

Post by Pete.L »

Haven't fitted a pc5. Mine was the lll but I don't remember there being a cps lead. Give Power Comander a bell. They are normally pretty helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Does Tony's SP2 have a PC5 fitted or just a 3?

Cue Tony
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

PcV, but that was fitted before I bought it; I just added the quick shifter module.
Sorry, can't help without taking the fairing off mine as well!
Last edited by tony.mon on Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTR_Dude

Post by VTR_Dude »

Dynojet support say it is next to the top of the rad on the left, (they think!) I think it will be easier to pull the front fairing off as well so that I can get a better view.
VTR_Dude

Post by VTR_Dude »

Well, I pulled the poor SP to bits last night. I took of the front fairing and front engine cover and still can't see any sign of the connector for the CPS. My bike is 2007 registered, but an '06 build, I'm beginning to think that they changed this bit on later bikes, does anyone know?
In the workshop manual I can't find any mention of it. I would have thought that it would have shown it in the fuel injection section, but it looks like that is synchronised by the cam pulse generator.

I have sent some pics to Dynojet support to see if they can help.
VTR_Dude

Post by VTR_Dude »

Sorted :thumbup:

Bit of a job, but it's on now. Test ride tomorrow with a bit of luck.

Comparing the pictures in the instructions to my bike, the oil rad' has been moved to where it shows the CPS connector and the horn. Maybe this was only on later bikes, or UK bikes? Anyway, its different.

I eventually found the connector behind the header tank. I had to remove the right hand hose from the radiator, drain it down and swing it to one side, then remove the header tank. Behind this was a rubber boot with the 2 way connector inside. The rest is pretty straightforward, just a matter of unplugging 2 connectors and plugging the PCV in between and wiring up the earth wire. For anyone doing this, you don't need to remove the front fairing like I did, (what a pain!) Just take off the seats, left fairing and prop up the front of the tank.

I have sent some pic's to Dynojet, so maybe they will update the instructions.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well done for sticking with it, hope it does what you wanted.

The software and maps are easy to use, and so you can play about with increasing or decreasing fuel ratio in quite small increments.
The good thing is that you can play about, then ride, but if you don't like it you can blow the original map straight back in in seconds.

Have you downloaded the module yet?

Remember that it will benefit from a tweak after the flapper mod and full system/cans and/or freer-flowing air filters have been fitted, but it's best set up on a dyno as you'll need to be able to see and measure the exhaust gases.
That's where the money you saved on the PCV will go!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
vtwin goody

Post by vtwin goody »

Nice one cliff :thumbup: knew you'd get there giz a shout when ya out testing
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Well done :clap:

Chris.