Oil Changing Advice

General Biker Banter
pmcq

Oil Changing Advice

Post by pmcq »

Last night while changing the oil I made a startling discovery. If you pour oil into the bike and not remember to put your drain plug in, you will end up with a big mess underneath your bike :-) It helps to do an oil change alone and not be having a chat while doing it :-) Doh!
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Top tip pmcq :lol: :lol:
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

A bit expensive oil change :!: :o
tony.wilde1

Post by tony.wilde1 »

theres not many of us that have never done that before mate!!!no wonder my block pavers never seem to go rusty!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

I topped my oil up on the motorway years ago on an old four cyl honda.................forgot to fit oil cap.
leg started to feel warm, then hot, then clouds, bloody miles from anywhere
it may be clever, but its not big.
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

tony.wilde1 wrote:theres not many of us that have never done that before mate!!!no wonder my block pavers never seem to go rusty!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOOOOOL, you should see my front lawn, my dad was (still is to be fair) far from impressed!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
Woody_100

Post by Woody_100 »

Lucky for you................at least you got the bas***d plug out.

I've tried everything I know, and the sucker is in there to stay.

Anybody got any ideas?
I've tried, sockets, heat and sockets, vice grips, bigger vice grips, hot air gun and vice grips. I've tried swearing at it, hitting it, looking at it.......everything.

Help. Please.

Woody. :(
Here we go again..............
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Woody_100 wrote:Lucky for you................at least you got the bas***d plug out.

I've tried everything I know, and the sucker is in there to stay.

Anybody got any ideas?
I've tried, sockets, heat and sockets, vice grips, bigger vice grips, hot air gun and vice grips. I've tried swearing at it, hitting it, looking at it.......everything.

Help. Please.

Woody. :(
ride as far from a garage/civilisation as you can, and wait for it to fall out of it's own accord?

I also favour the socket wrench and a long metal tube that fits over the wrench. Homemade breaking bar. This might shear it though as you can put a hella lotta force through it.

New sump from a breaker?

Cut it? Using a dremmel with a disc cutter on, I've sawn nuts and plugs in half. If you;re careful of the threads it can be done, then replace the nut with a new one
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Err?
Are you turning anti-clockwise?

Only kidding :wink: Pop down your local tyre place and see if they'll have a go with an air gun
Pete.l
You are turning anti-clockwise,arn't you?
Hanuman

Post by Hanuman »

windy guns at tyre places will have it cracked for you as mentioned.

or - buy some plusgas penetrating fluid and liberally cover it before you go to bed. heating it wont get it out as it'll just expand as will the casing and internal thread methinks? ya havent rounded it have ya?

next day, once the plusgas has gotten in - a while the bike is cold, stick a spanner on it and slide a breaker bar as mentioned above on it and crack it open.

I just used a spanner and put my foot on it weight (after sheering a step up for a socket :roll: it was tight aye.

I always use plus gas on my turbo wastegate/zorst manifold on my car and its canny stuff.
The Official Border Hooner.

2001 Storm.
2006 Hayabusa.
Woody_100

Post by Woody_100 »

Cheers for the help guys......

The problem is, that the plug was well rounded and rusted before I got my grubby little spanners on it. After attacking it with various vice grips, it's not so much round, as well chewed.

I kinda thought that the heat gun woulda sorted things, cos the aluminium sump should expand quicker than the steel plug, but things were getting really hot, and there was nae difference.

I'm thinking I'll ask the MOT station to have a go when it goes in for its test ion a few days.

Thanks again,
Ritchie
Here we go again..............